Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
My girlfriend's father just purchased a boat in Florida, a yamaha 232 and I'm pretty sure he has never driven a boat much less tried to tow and launch a boat. So my question is what are some things I need to make sure i tell him, I'm trying to put together a checklist of things for him to do before, during and after the launch process. I am in Ca and therefore can not give him any face to face instruction. Also nothing is obvious to this guy, so what may be really stupid and obvious to all of us will still help

a couple of things i have put on the list so far...

(at home)
make sure to pivot trailer jack to up position once connected to boat (should be parallel to boat trailer)

make sure all light on trailer work properly

(at launch)

take back straps off of trailer

back the boat into the water(stop once the back of the boat begins to float)

start the boat(make sure it starts before taking it off the trailer)

and so on.....

you get the idea, any info would be great many thanks
Old     (ccelia)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-30-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Depending on what lights he has on the trailer - unhook the trailer lights so you don't burn them out when the trailer is in the water.

Make sure the drain plug is in before you put the boat in the water.

These are two obvious things that I can think of.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-30-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
I know this is after launched, not during launch and retrieval, but a couple of key points for operation:

A boat has no brakes.

A Yamaha 232 has no steering unless in gear, it is a pump-jet craft just like a PWC

Never approach a dock, ramp, boat, or other solid object faster than you would want to crash into it...

Run the blower for 5 minutes before starting

Now pre-launch:
Practice backing in a big empty parking lot to get the feel of what the trailer does.

Know the trailer tows around corners on a smaller radius. Plan for it and give yourself extra room to keep the trailer tires off of the curb(s).

(Message edited by philwsailz on September 30, 2009)
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-30-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
IF he needs instruction liek this

(at home)
make sure to pivot trailer jack to up position once connected to boat (should be parallel to boat trailer)

U should probably suggest him finding a local captain to show him the ropes or a boating safety course. IF nto he coudl injure someone or damage his property.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-30-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
Encourage him to get into a routine. I have a routine I do things in the same order every time at home and at the ramp. Uncover, run engine in driveway, check all equipment (vests/boards/tool kit/plugs/etc.), unstrap at ramp, plug in, etc. If you get into a routine it becomes second nature.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Turn on the blower before starting boat.

Bring stuff to wipe boat down after taking it out of the water.

Bring trash bags to put trash in.

Take a boating safety course.

Make sure you have bumpers in case you need to tie up.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-30-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
If he plans on pulling anyone, tell him that power turning to retrieve a fallen rider will cause his boat to sink.
Old     (fastrd400)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Don't un-hook the front strap until in the water. Unless it has wheels too, lol.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-30-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
1st time out take another experienced boater who can give him tips, life safety issue if he doesn't, not to mention crashing the new ride, get out in some open water and practice maneuvering it into a pretend dock, nothing like putting the first scratch on her the first time out...
Old    murphy8166            09-30-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Hold up here a minute.

Did her dad ask for your input or help?

How long have you dated this girl and do you have a good realtionship with her father. If the realtionship is in its infancy or you don't have good rapport with her dad, you need to be very carful with your approach. No father wants his daughters boyfriend telling him what to do...especially when it comes to his toys.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Don't climb into your boat from the trailer fender the first day you have it wearing cargo shorts with zippered cargo pockets. You can have your first scratch on your boat before it has even seen the water. Yes, I learned that one the hard way.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-30-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
No kidding! You could possibly be walkin a FINE line here. I would offer any suggestions or tips unless he asked you first! Unless yall have been together a while and your close to her dad. If you care about the girl, but haven't been dating long, it might be better to just let him figure it out, or maybe getting your GF to say something like, "Daddy, my BF (sorry don't know your name) has some expierence with boating, he'd be more than happy to help you get started. I just don't want to see something happen to your new boat that might be easily avoided." something like that. Or even get her to to suggest that you and him take a boating safety course together. That it's been something you've wanted to do anyway (even if you already have) it'll help build that relationship and not make him feel inferior. Just my opinion though.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
ONCE AGAIN NO POWERTURNING lol}}
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
thanks for all the help, i wish i could be there to take him out

I am hoping that a checklist that i create will encourage some sort of routine for him.

as far as the dating thing goes(a year and a half), ive spoken with him about it a couple of times and he has wanted to fly me down there to take him out, (but this whole go to work every day thing wont allow me to), so he is looking for any advice that can be given.

with the trailer jack thing, I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible, he should know these things but just in case he doesn't

I'm going to send him this link for more info, but I want him to have some sort of checklist as well

http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-3_whomayoperate.htm

side note: ill make sure to tell him if he power turns, pulls a tube, or ever wakesurfs his boat will explode!!
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
but seriously about the power turns...this guy has power turn written all over him!! ill have to explain that to him in a very clear concise manner
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
Another tip when launching..

When backing the boat down the ramp, put the truck in neutral, not reverse, and let the weight of the boat bring him down the ramp. This provides for a much smoother launch.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-30-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Yep be careful what you say. My father inlaw still does not get the concept that a wakboarder wants a straight line. He turns into every small cove just has I am approaching the wake or worse after I just left it. I have tried to show him while I drive with another boarder riding. No luck. Now I just expect it. Hey he pays the property tax. I also tried to explain to him that since the lakehouse was left in a trust to us that we could borrow against the value invest it and the return would pay the taxes and improvements. That didn't work either. Good luck and I agree a checklist is good.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-01-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
Tell him to go to the website yamahajetboaters.com and start reading and asking other members to help out.

They have tracking fins for the jets that are must. Hard for people to understand there's NO turning when there isn't thrust coming out of the jets.

He needs to make sure the PURPLE PLUG FIX has been done!!!! They have 6" plugs to access the jets and they can come loose and shoot out like a cannon. Not only hurt someone but sink the boat. Temp fix is put Nerf footballs on top of the plugs in the storage locker to absorb the impact. He also wants to lube them properly so he can clean out the jet intake instead of swimming under the boat to do it.

If one engine dies, you cannot gun the other and get the boat on plane to get home. Something about not enough pressure in the exhaust of the other engine and water can flow to it. They have a manual turnoff valve for that situation. Just gotta idle home if you don't have it.

When the boat is out of the water, turn on the engine to blow the excess water out, just for a few seconds like a jet ski.

Jet boats have their quirks for sure. Steering is much worse than an inboard.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-01-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Have someone other than yourself offer suggestions.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
Agreed with Joe B. on getting him to yamahajetboaters.com!!!

The Purple Plug Fix is old style and no longer available. Have him look into the Cobra Jet Steering and get the pin fix and quick release pins from the same outfit that sell the Cobra Jet Steering. Saves money on shipping.

The boat WILL NOT sink if the clean out plugs blow.

If one engine dies, you CAN gun the other engine back IF you have the proper tool (vice grip/clamp) or have prepared the cooling hose for such occasion (by-pass valve).

Tell him to register at Yamahahetboaters.com and sign up in the Florida users group. There are a ton of members in FL that would be more than happy to help him.

You start the engines at home before the trip to make sure the batteries are good,don't wait until you get to the lake to see if the engines would start.

Docking - With dual throttle control, he can turn the boat on a dime, he could also walk the boat sideways to the dock, if he knows how to work the throttles (1 in reverse and the other in forward, and using the wheel) or use the normal approach like other boaters, approach dock at angle, reverse throttles and turn wheel into dock while in reverse to bring in the stern.

Also, he can ask help from a member to go with him and show him the ins/outs of the Yammie.