Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-22-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
So my parents went to help move in my sister in College Station this morning and instructed me to call if I go somewhere and thatI'm not allowed to use the boat. Well after about an hour of watching ESPN and trying to ignore the butter calling my name just 20 or so yards away, I couldn't take it anymore. Called 2 friends, spent an amazing day on the lake, we were just about the only boat out, and came | | this close to landing a backroll.

Somehow my parents find out, I have no idea how, and now I can't go on the lake for atleast a month. And the sad part is (due to a near perfect day spent on the lake) I feel very little to no remorse of my poor decision. You guys have fun out there. Sorry for the rant.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-22-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
You are 16, you took your parents boat when specificaly told not to. If you were my kid, you would be more then grounded from the boat for a month. The next time you would be in the boat, is when you bought one yourself. Your rant sounds more like a whiney spoiled rich kid that does not respect his parents. If only they could read that you have "little or no remorse for your poor decision". You sir, are a disrespectful and spoiled brat. Now that is a rant.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2007, 11:24 PM Reply   
Andy that's a little harsh, can you not remember when you were 16?

Marshall, get a job, save your pennies and buy yourself a SN2001. I bet your parents will be impressed with your dedication and you can ride with your friends when you like.
Old    tets            08-23-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
All part of the fun of bein a kid.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
Marshall, they probably looked a the engine hours before they left and after they returned. It doesn't take a mathematician to see that someone took the boat out if there is more hours on the engine. But, next time (a little word of advice) do as your parents say. You will only get into more trouble than it's worth.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-23-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
I agree with Andy. What a spoiled, whiney biatch. You got caught doing something you were told not to do and now you're complaining about the punishment. You should consider yourself lucky that you're only off for a month.
1. you have poor judgement.
2. have not learned that for every action there is a reaction.
3. you have not learned the meaning of respect. You wonder how your parents found out? They probably didn't trust you and had someone watching out or new the hours on the boat and checked up. If you were my kid you'd be in alot more trouble and loose alot more than just a month out of the boat/off the water.

Kyle - "All part of being a kid" ? Meaning you condone his actions? I hope not. Disobeying your parents directions and using their stuff when told not to is NOT part of being a kid.

NOW THAT IS A RANT
Old    tets            08-23-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
dave, i dont condone his actions but everyone has done something like that when they were a kid. you make mistakes and live with the consquences, that is part of being a kid. he should have some remorse for what he did. but if you did every exact thing your parents told you then you'd never learn anything on your own.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but you need to take a step back and look at the situation man. You probably see it as just taking the boat out, and you were bored so it gave you something to do. Your parents see it as a lost of trust in you, and that you do not respect their wishes. I'm not innocent of similar things, but at some point you need to realize things and respect your parents' wishes. NOT taking it out could have gotten you somewhere, who knows? Your parents had trust in you, but from their perspective it's a huge liability if you take the boat out. What if something happened when you were trying backrolls? What if the boat broke? A friend drowned, whose parents weren't aware he was on your PARENTS' boat? You don't think of these things as a teen, but your parents do because it's their azz that will go down, or their child that could become injured while they are gone and have no control. You need to realize just what you did to your parents, and apologize. You are fortunate enough to have a boat, and sounds like live on a lake. Just because you're bored and feel like a boarder doesn't mean break the rules dude. You are extremely immature with this action, thats what you showed your parents. With your sister gone you were probably going to get by with more, more freedom, all of that, but you messed it all up by acting immature, losing their trust, and disrespecting their wishes. All because you probably felt nothing will happen. You probably get away with a lot, and I'm sure this isn't your first time or worst thing you've done. Coming from experience, you will regret all of it in about 3-5 years, and try to gain that trust and respect back. I hope so at least.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-23-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
And NO I NEVER ever took my parents boat when I was a kid. I waas not fortunate enough to have a boat. I was damn lucky that my folks provided me with a car at 16. And if they said no driving when they were gone, then I did not drive. and I NEVER took their car without permision. I respect my parents.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-23-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
If they really wanted to teach you a lesson they would have told the police that you had stolen it (cos let's face it, that's what you did). I think you got off lightly.

On a somewhat related note... a law passed recently in the UK says that if you take your parent's car and you are underage then either they get busted for negligence (for letting a minor drive a vehicle) or the driver gets busted for car theft.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-23-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
marshall, they left the keys and told you not to use it? doesn't that sound like a test? did they leave the keys in the ignition? do you drink(thats what kids do) and lie to them saying you don't? i am just looking at the BIG picture here, its not that you took their boat, you lost their trust, much harder to fix than a wrecked boat. i think you must be honest with them about everything now to gain their trust back and don't get upset if they tell you they are going to tape your doors and windows at night
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-23-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Dang, I I'm usually not one to disagree with adults but I don't think I'm whining. I accepted the consequences for my actions. I disobeyed them so I'm going to have to learn from it.

Sorry for making this a big deal. I was honestly just trying to share a story.
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-23-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Also, I would like to say thank you to every one who replied to this. It hurts me to read it, but it's for the better.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
Reminds me of my friend, who's parents went out of town for like a month, lived on a lake, we had permission to use the boat, pool, only small parties, pretty much free except for his dad's new corvette. He took it for a spin around the block (literally), 2-5 min total, and all the neighbors were outside when he got back, his dad had already received 2 phone calls and more were on the way. He was 18, and was told to be moved out of the house before they returned.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
Wow A-dub... nothing like a kid taking it just a step further no matter how much freedom they are given. When I was 15 my parents would go hunting every year for about a week or so. They of course said I couldn't drive the car even though I had a permit :-) Well of course I drove to school just about the whole week. My sister in law at the time saw me driving and gave me up to the parents. They weren't pleased whatsoever :-)
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-23-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Marshall, I thank you for sharing your story. It didn't come across as whining to me, in fact, it came across as 'Hey, all you other kids out there...this is the bonehead move I made and I'm letting you know so you don't do the same thing.' Wisdom comes from making mistakes and learning lessons...that's what I think happened here. Luckily in this case, no one got hurt, nothing got ruined, and you can focus on schoolwork :-)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
I didn't think so either... thought it was a little harsh. Damn, if I would have put the stupid crap I did when I was 16 on this board I'd get eaten alive!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
I find it funny how you people sit up on your lil computers and judge the of teenagers. Gimme a damn break.. You sit there and talk about how when I was a kid, blah blah blah blah.. Gimme a damn break, you all wouldnt make it as a kid in todays society. Hate to break it to you but there are FAR worse things, that you adults prolly kno NOTHING about that goes on. And your bitching about takin a boat out on a weekened..

O and im sure all you guys where obviously perfect lil angels growing up....

Should she have taken the boat out, nope... but alot of you all are WAY over the top, and obviously have no CLUE what goes on in the world.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
My father would have taken out the leather belt.

No joke.... :-(
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-23-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
HAHA…Your story reminded me of myself and most of my friends when I was your age. Boys will be boys. Learn you lessons and move on. “Live and learn”

And for you guys calling you spoiled, whiney, and BIATCH??? Get a life!

Dave, you’re talking all of this about right from wrong and obeying your parent’s right after you call a 16 y/o kid a “spoiled, whiney biatch” Real classy!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-23-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Yeah, my folks woulda had a cow if i'da taken out the boat without em. But, look at the brightside, you had one helluva day out there, bruoght the boat back in less than 3 pieces (as far as we know), and your folks threw a lil discipline out there. I definetely dont think it calls for "SPOILED BRAT" title or anything. Lesson learned. Just my take on things.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-23-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I can't imagine the reaction my parents would have had if I might have taken their car or boat without their permission. They would ground me for a month for something silly like toilet papering someone's house. That being said, we all made mistakes as teenagers and hopefully we learned from them.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Eric, i don't think you have a clue as to the "real" world and what goes on, with the comments you made. Do teens do worse? Of course. He put his parents at a great liability by the choice he made, which he, and YOU, obviously don't understand. I got free reign on my parents boat at the age of 16, I was lucky, and yes I did my fair share of dumb ish with that boat. Now that I own a much older one than my parents, I kick my own azz everytime I think of some of the things I did. It is a part of growing up, I just hope Marshall smooths things over with his 'rents and realizes the position he really put them in.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-23-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
David, your post brought back not so pleasant memories. You remember that sound of the belt getting pulled off your dad's pants? That swoosh sound followed by the metal prong clicking against the buckle. Haven't thought about that in years...
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
"Hate to break it to you but there are FAR worse things, that you adults prolly kno NOTHING about that goes on"

REALLY!!! WOW!!!!!! I would have never guessed, thanks for enlightening us.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
"I find it funny how you people sit up on your lil computers and judge the •••••••• of teenagers. Gimme a damn break.. You sit there and talk about how when I was a kid, blah blah blah blah.. Gimme a damn break, you all wouldnt make it as a kid in todays society. Hate to break it to you but there are FAR worse things, that you adults prolly kno NOTHING about that goes on. And your bitching about takin a boat out on a weekened..

O and im sure all you guys where obviously perfect lil angels growing up....

Should she have taken the boat out, nope... but alot of you all are WAY over the top, and obviously have no CLUE what goes on in the world."

You're joking right??? You most be another whiny teenager who got punished for something you think you shouldn't have been punished for. You dont know the first thing about life my friend... Tell me... Whats so bad about being a teenager from Ohio? Must be all that gang violence or something.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Sorry Loren to remind you. I remember that too.. I also remember, being hit by anything that was close to my mother reach (2 inch history book, golf putter, hot wheel tracks [that hurt the most], and then there was the finger nails into the underside of your bicep). I think Marshall is fortune for what punishment he received by his parents. It could have been a lot worse.

(Message edited by dabell on August 23, 2007)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Way to go kid!!!!
Anybody that didnt do something like that when they were 16 was probably some sorta Honor Student or computer nerd playing Asteroids or Dungeons and Dragons.
When I was 14 I would take my parents Vette out for a spin every time they went out. Usually I would call my friend and tell him to look outside cuz I was driving by. Then I would usually burn his neighbors yard with it.
Your butt will last longer than your parents teeth. Just be safe.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-23-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
I think some of you are coming across a bit harsh on Marshall. Yeah he disobeyed a direct request but it is impossible to judge this situation with this post without a lot more context. Is Marshall a good student, generally stay clear of trouble??? Bonified hell raiser??? First offense??? Does he have a boat license (boater safety course certificate)??

There are probably some more future liberties that will be taken away from him that he doesn't know about yet due to the loss of trust. The broken trust will likely have repurcusions far worse than the month out of the boat. He will probably see the green light a lot less when he may want to go camping with his buds over the weeekend, or spend the night at x house. I know that is how it would work with my 15y.o. if he did the same. Over time the trust would have to be regained.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       08-23-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Billy - What a role model. Just what we need... more punk wakeboarders doing whatever the hell they want. And you wonder why we have a bad rep. Be respectful people.

(Message edited by cadesun on August 23, 2007)
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-23-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Wow, simply WOW. Billy, you are an inspiration to all the teenagers out there. Kudos
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Uhhhhm, Billy is 39 and has a picture of his 6 year old son wakeboarding in his profile.

So we'll see how Billy responds in 8 years when his 14 year old son does something like this.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-23-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
This is a great post to get a feel for what everyone is really like. I read and thought about all the stupid shizza I did as a kid. Was it funny? Only because I got away with it. Now, as an adult, it's a matter of liability and all the crap that makes us age, hair fall out, etc. You'll be in our shoes too, kid
But really, it's like the Simpsons episode where the tractor keeps calling Bart a wimp when he won't take it for a spin. I was and am still a sucker for tempation too!
I wouldn't sweat it. You're just lucky nothing happened.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
What people are missing is the young guy came on here to brag to his friends that he had a great day on the lake and took some risk doing it. He didn't come on here bragging to your age group and putting it in your face, knowing you may be a dad or have different values.

Yet, an adult(s) on here feels prized enough to take it personal to a young guy and call him ridiculous names. That is a true definition of a small small man. Take the high road next time.
Old     (mattstrykul)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-23-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
I agree with what Loren said, I don't see this post as a whiney thread, more of a don't do it. It's good you had a good time, MOST people do things like this atleast once. If your gonna do it, have a good time, if its a crappy time then it wasn't worth it. Why didn't your parents want you taking out the boat in the 1st place? Don't let these guys make you feel bad, you had a good time thats all that matters.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Russel Payer - hate to break it to ya, but I am a college student who currently has a 3.8 GPA at a small private college and am currently studying to get my PHD in physical therapy. I pay for a lot of my schooling through academic scholarships, and am lucky enough to have my parents helping me out as well. Don’t come on here trying to tell me what I am, when you know absolutely nothing about me. You obviously are completely clueless about some things, and that’s ok, probably a lack of education on your part.

All I’m saying is you all are blowing up a situation that isn’t that big of a deal. He understands what he did was wrong, and probably learned his lesson from it. And yet you all sit there and call him a whiny teenager…. Grow up and get a clue.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-23-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
nice. the only thing you did wrong was get caught...gotta figure out how they caught you so you can get away with it next time. it's a victimless crime, lighten up people.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-23-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Way to hit it on the head Eric.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Uh oh... Somebody didn't like my comment. You talk about "knowing nothing about life" and your rebuttal is "I pay for my own school"... Ok buddy.

You tried to tell everyone else on here what they are... Don't like it when people do it to you?

Looks like the youngins are getting angry.

(Message edited by rpayer on August 23, 2007)

Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-23-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Eric, I hate to break it to you, but you ARE a teenager (according to your own profile) and you presumably haven't been out of school and had to deal with real working life yet. Russell is probably more right than you care to admit.

"you all wouldnt make it as a kid in todays society"

Won't make it? What part of society would we not make it through? Just about everyone in this country has access to the basics needed to survive. Every other hardship you encounter is self-inflicted.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
When I was a teenager my society invloved homework, no bills, having as much fun as possible, trying not to get into too much trouble, not having to worry about feeding myself or a roof over my head, etc...

Yea your right Eric, I dont think I could make it now...
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
"you all wouldnt make it as a kid in todays society"

Let's see!!!! Um 9 years in the Marine Corps and 8 months in war... Do you think I can make it as kid in todays society?

Eric, we all have lived our lives as children. Today's society is different than yesterdays and the day before yesterday's society. Making a statement like that is very bold and very untrue. IMO.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       08-23-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
Its pretty easy to see who the parents are here. Stupid move to take the boat, your punishment is WAY too lenient. You opened up your parents to all sorts of liability. Injuries to people on the water, property damage, in-insured driver, etc. By the way, what would happen if YOU got hurt? Just an example, my son went out on the water without a spotter in the boat (he had my permission to go, and there was a "responsible" adult involved), he was not allowed to wakeboard for one full year. How your parents punish you is their business, what you do about it is your business too. But if you hit someeone or injured someone, I am sure they would take everything from your parents that they could. now THATS a lesson.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
Billy, i'm there with ya man. Always sneaking out the ride when i was 14, never got caught. I thought everyone did stupid s**t when they were young? Was it really just a few of us????
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Absolutely not, I did TONS of stupid stuff when I was younger. I do know now that alot of those things could have got me in a lot of trouble. If I or one of my friends or family gets run over by some 16yr old punk who basically stole his parents boat... Well he better hope its me and that I dont survive.

Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-23-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
to many people seem to condone teens like crazy for a stupid mistake they made, and then they act like they never made mistakes and that teenagers are just idiotic

i bet you guys have done something similar, tell them it was a bad decision but you'll learn and move on, don't call him an immature biatch or something along the sorts

we all mess up one time or another, why do we have to call this guy out so differently then for some of our other mistakes just because he's a teenager?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-23-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
eric said,"I pay for a lot of my schooling through academic scholarships"
boy, do you sound like a whiner!
try paying the whole thing and rent, and living on your own at 19
the fact is, you, eric would not have made it in yesterdays society
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
"I feel very little to no remorse of my poor decision."

That's why he is catching heat.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-23-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
good point rp. "I feel very little to no remorse of my poor decision." could be interpretted as, "I'd do it all over again". Still, tough to say whether he needs a better 'whipping' like others have suggested.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
Ha, you think I care what other people say about me?? Ya, not so much…

I do however find it funny how worked up you all are getting over something I said.. And David B. you said it best, “today’s society is different” and no I don’t think the older generation has ANY CLUE, as to what goes on dealing with drugs, alcohol, violence and so many other peer pressures…. Sure you all had to deal with things, it’s a bit different now, so all the older people sitting there saying oo my parents would get out the belt and do this and that is ridiculous.

Joe Shmoe – Do you have any idea what you wrote??? Seriously, you have NO IDEA how grateful I am for the fact that my parents are willing and able to help me out with my schooling. And sorry that you didn’t work hard in high school and get good grades and didn’t any scholarships. I can’t help the fact that your situation was apparently different then mine…
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
^^^^^ Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner here... Way to go rp.... :-)
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-23-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Rp, that is exactly it. That is what prompted my first post, and pretty much sparking this whole fire. Let me also say that yesterday afternoon I was driving with my 18mo old son when a highschool student in a brand new mustang (temp tags) came squeeling around the corner of the neighborhood and spun out right in front of me. I had to skid and stop to avoid a bigass crash. My first reaction was get out, remove my 9 iron and get to work. Of course I did not. I sat there watching as the driver and his friend LAUGHED AND LAUGHED AND LAUGHED.!!!!!!!! To them, the whole thing was a joke and "fun". My Denali front end would have been a good matchup for passenger side of that ford. Easily could have killed the kid. I was so pissed, I thought I was going to have a stroke. I looked back at my son, he had a smile on his face because I think he thought the squeeling noise was funny, and the antilock breaks gave him a fun rumble in the butt. That calmed me down conciderably Then I read about a teenager taking his parents boat and not caring one bit that he did it set me off.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Yea Eric after reading your personal qoute I don't think it's even worth arguing with you anymore.

I'm starting to think you're 1 of the 2 friends the OP called up when he was planning on stealing the boat.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
Havasubu,
yes I'm a parent and if my son did that in 8yrs or whenever I would whip his A$&. I probably would be one step ahead of him though and take the keys or tell him I put something in the boat or car to let me know if it had been used.
Don't get me wrong I believe in discipline and my kids are very well behaved. I just dont think WakeWorld is the place for me to scold some kid I dont even know about something most of us have done in the past. This is supposed to be a fun site. Its not like he robbed a bank or something. (which reminds me of another story) J/K
LIGHTEN UP !!!!!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
I was the one that said that first Eric and I didn't say that he should have been whipped with the belt either. Yes, my parents would have whipped my arse so bad that I wouldn't have had to sit for hours. However, today the laws do not allow for me to do what I have received when I was younger to my son.

However, if Marshal would have done this in another country like Thailand and was caught, there would have been a caning (large bamboo stick that would be cracked over the back). In the Middle East, he could have lost a finger.

Marshal should feel fortunate that he only got a month of grounding. My generation and a few others would have had different.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-23-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
Eric, Print this whole thread out, save it in a box. When you get older, married and have your first kid, take out that piece of paper and read it. Enjoy laughing at yourself. Yes, you are young now and think us old farts know nothing of what you have to go through. Well waaaaaaaaaaaa have a whamburger with a side of french cries. You could not be any more WRONG. Order up a truckload of fail and have them dump it on your driveway.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
I think he will learn from his mistake. Next time he will probably unhook the hour meter.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-23-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Billy, now that is funny right there!!!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-23-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
geez what did i start...?

its not a complicated matter:

1. I was in the wrong

2. Rest assured my parents are punishing me too its full extend. I don't really feel like listing my full punishments.

3. Trust me when I say I forever learned my lesson and I'm not doing it again.

and I'm not sure if we even have an hour meter on our boat. Its almost 20 years old.

(Message edited by marshk344 on August 23, 2007)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-23-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
That's why America is so great! we can get away with stealing our parents boats!

I doubt there are many Middle Easterners that would ever be in Marshalls situation. It would be more relative if Marshall stole his parents camel.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
There you go Marshall. Shoulda said that in the first post and you woulda been just fine.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-23-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Honor students!!! LOL! yea, some of you sound like a bunch of anal old farts. You're only 16 once... I hope all you naysayers feel good playing Grandpa with our friend Marshall.
Go take a damn Geritol.

Marshall, thats ballsy, but nice. Old farts always toss around big talk. Do some extra stuff around the house or something. or just be REALLY annoying.

Oh yea, are they back yet?
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
As for Eric...

Upload
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-23-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Marshallkay,
Outstanding to hear 3. Trust me when I say I forever learned my lesson and I'm not doing it again. I am done posting before Dave W emails me and tells me I am grounded from riding on his new boat this fall for enticing a flamefest on his website.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
benjamin hahaha,
I bet they would make there kid work the midnight shift at the 7/11 with no ALJAZERA TV for a punishment.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-23-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
I think some people are being a little harsh on the kid. Typical 16 year old mistake. No big deal take your punishment like a man and go ride on someone else's boat. Just don't let them find out.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-23-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
^ his folks have a rat on the lake. Wouldn't advise it.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
I dont think anyone was really being too hard on him for taking the boat. I've done way worse than that.

Like I said above... This is why he caught SO much heat.

"I feel very little to no remorse of my poor decision."
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
ya and he also said a few posts down

"I accepted the consequences for my actions. I disobeyed them so I'm going to have to learn from it."

Can you not read??? o nice picture to, doesnt make much sense with anything, but sure.
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-23-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
rp and whoever said that before- i deserved the verbal lashings for saying that. I do think I said that mostly out of anger at my decision and trying to make myself feel a little better about myself.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Billy, what I said was with a light heart. We're the same age and both have kids. I did some pretty stupid things when I was younger, but becoming a parent changes your perspective. Just like we always heard growing up..."you'll understand one day" or "your day's coming".

I do have to agree with wickedwakes about the whole "what if" scenario. Too many bad things happen as a result of innocent fun.

I'm sure every kid who has access to a boat thinks about taking it out behind their parents back. And even if posted here, they would most likely not fully comprehend the liability at stake.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
There you go kid...

That month will go by quicker than you think and you'll be back on the water. Just dont steal the boat again...

Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Billy, that is funny..

Unfortunately when you think about it, I am sure the on board computers are connected somehow and then the boat wouldn't start anyways.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
Well, what kind of boat did you take out? I mean, if it was an MC then it's cool, but a Nautique? What the hell were you thinking? That ain't worth it son!

where is that sarcasm icon?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
i'm on Marshall's side with this one. take that boat n do a little boarding. i haven't read this whole thread but it sounds like some of you guys are just pissed that when you were 16 you didn't have a boat sitting in the dock ready to use. when i was 16 i started taking my boat up with all my friends. my dad just got tired of me asking him to take me and i got tired of him saying no time after time. i just took it one day n when i got back he relized that i could handle taking the boat by myself. i think you all should give the kid a little slack and saying that he's spoiled is pushing it a little. don't get pissed at the kid because his parents have probably worked very hard to be able to provide the family with a boat and other luxuary items.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
oooo and i know i'm going to get lashed out at for being on the kids side but oooo wellllll .
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
^^dude watch out, everyones about to go nuts on your ass too...
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
I have a 16 year old daughter.

Marshall, it's more of a "trust" issue than anything. They trusted you to abide by their rules and you broke it.

When you leave in your car and say you won't drink and drive. . .trust; you'll be home by a certain time. . .trust.

As a parent of 16 & 13 year old's I have to feel that I can trust them with responsibilities. The more they can show me they can handle, the more things they can do. And they have to know there are consequences for their actions.

Suck it up and take it with stride. Show them they can trust you to make the right decision and maybe they'll shorten the time a bit!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-23-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
"and no I don�t think the older generation has ANY CLUE, as to what goes on dealing with drugs, alcohol, violence and so many other peer pressures�."

Yeah, because those things are all new. The older generation knows more than you think. We'd just rather forget. Many of us would also rather live in denial than face that our children could be doing some of the more dangerous things we did as kids.
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-23-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
There's a lot of "holier than thou" talk on here. I did worse than what Marshall did when I was 16 and I know many, many others who have done much worse. Long story short, I did dumb things as a kid but somehow I still became a productive member of society. Amazing I know. And who are you to judge his punishment? You have absolutely no right to decide what is or isn't the correct punishment for another person's child, that's the beauty of everyone being able to parent their own children in their own chosen manner. Learn by doing I say, people tend not to listen to jerks yelling at them, but instead by learning from their own mistakes. What Marshall did was dumb, but luckily nobody was hurt. I hope you learn to respect your parents wishes a little more, they only want the best for you. Mischief is fun, but remember it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.