Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-29-2003, 5:40 PM Reply   
OK, I was at the river same as always, we just finished a set and I had to run to the dock to meet my wife. When I pulled away from the dock the boat stalled out. So, I started it again and it stalled immediately. Now it just turns over but won't start and every time I try it blows the ignition/computer fuse.

Now here's the part that worries me. I noticed a steady drip of water coming from the impeller or water pump area when we were sitting still. I don't know if it overheated or not because the temp guage quit working at the end of the season last year, and I've only had it out a few times this year. (I know, I'm an idiot for even taking the boat out before getting it fixed.)

Anyway, anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks
Greg
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-29-2003, 5:50 PM Reply   
Go to malibuboatowners.com and join / post, very knowledgeable people there with the idiocencrecies(spelling?) of each model.
Old    nohalfboats            04-29-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
You sure the drip from the pump isn't dripping on a electrical connection or dripping then splashing onto some type of connection(i.e. starter) thus blowing the fuse or circuit?Take a good look, it's probably something that simple.Definetley fix the leak once you find the short.THIS SEASON

(Message edited by nohalfboats on April 29, 2003)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-29-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
I know what it needs.....a trip to the mechanic, as the problem is going to be complicated. Any time there is a problem in the computer circuit it is best left to someone that has a wiring diagram and experience or it could cost you much much more.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-29-2003, 10:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I'll get it to a mechanic tomorrow.
Old     (whazzup)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-29-2003, 11:21 PM Reply   
Sounds like it could be a fuel problem too. Maybe a clogged filter or carburetor(if you have one). But that wouldnt explain the fuse blowing. The water drip is probably from the seep hole in your water pump which means the bearings in the pump are going. Let us know what it turns out to be, that way we know for future reference.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-30-2003, 10:16 PM Reply   
I used to have a 98 VLX, I had a similar problem one year when my impeller went out, your boat has an automatic shut off if the boat gets too hot, so that might have been the problem.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-01-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
I think we figured it out. I took the boat to a buddy who is a mechanic first, instead of having to pay the local dealer $75 per hour to fix it.

Turns out that the raw water pump went bad and was spitting water on the alternator, making it short out the ignition/computer fuse. I know it sounds weird, but the alternator is working fine now. We hooked a hose up and ran it for a few minuits and everything works fine now. The dealer wanted $194 and said it would take 1-2 weeks, So I just ordered the pump from www.i-netmarine.com for $117 shipped to my door in 3 to 5 days. This way I should be on the water by next weekend.

Old    natedogg            05-01-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
Greg,

Did you check out overtons for your pump? I had to buy one last year for a small block GM 350 it was 99.00$ powerder coated and everything! Check it out you migh be able to save a few bucks!

Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-01-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
It looked like overtons only had pumps for PCM. I'll check again.

Thanks
Old    natedogg            05-01-2003, 4:25 PM Reply   

Greg, check your email I sent you an overtons page hopefully you get it.

Old    nohalfboats            05-02-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
just like i said Greg.I want an atta-boy!!
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-02-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
Barry, you nailed it on the head.
I never would have thought that a small leak like that would be able to short out the alternator, and I had no idea that the short would pop the computer breaker. Live and learn. I appreciate the input.

Old     (98air)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-05-2003, 12:53 AM Reply   
Where would you look if you needed to fix/reset the electrical / fuse? My nautique is doing something like this and did it last summer...and it has a leak from the impeller.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-05-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
I would'nt know on a nautique. Mine is under the dash right in plain sight. Maybe look on the moter.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2003, 5:00 AM Reply   
Rob, what engine do you have? My PCM has the main fuse at the back of the engine near the transmission.