Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (over50)      Join Date: May 2009       05-04-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
Help, my sixteen year old would like us to upgrade our boat to a vdrive so he can take the wakeboarding up a notch or two and also surf. Present boat 19' 1996 Four Winns Horizon. I have been looking at a number of used boats. Is nada prices even close to reality? It seems like most boats are thousands more than the valuation, especially from dealers. i.e this one http://www.idahowatersports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=06289179X5K4K2009J6I20I56 JPMQ2921R0&veh=1094973

It is a 99 sunsetter with wakesetter graphics and tanks plumbed in other than that pretty stock. Nada is showing around 20k they want over 25k is that typical. I am trying to keep it below 28k and still have a good solid boat. Oh did I mention we want a malibu. Any comments?

Also, We will tow the boat, at least 600 miles each year I would prefer a double axle trailer but does it matter? One 02 wakesetter I am looking at has a single axle trailer.

Thanks

Dave
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
Hey Dave,
The inflated prices are probably due to the time of year. Up till now, prices have been crazy low, because so many people are hurting to get out from under debt. Now it's starting to look like summer is coming soon & so prices are going up. Hopefully things are selling but if their not, prices will come down of course.

Nice boat. Looks like it's in good shape. That Titan tower is the strongest design made. Maybe a little funky looking, but load it up with a bimini, speakers, boards & foils & it'll be as good as they come. The one question I'd have about it is what is an Alabama boat doing in Idaho?

Also, watch Craigslist all over the northwest for boat sales. Using a search engine like http://www.crazedlist.org/, you can search several Craigslists in your area in a short amount of time.

Good luck!
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-09-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Use Onlyinboards.com. It is probably the biggest website to find inboard boats, and You can probably find a boat that is relatively close to you.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-09-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
Here is a great site.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpboat
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
You also have to remeber that there is no " High Book" online. All you have is trade in and average retail. That is usually where those higher figures come from. An actual NADA book has "High Book" as well.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-09-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Bill, the first two letters are ID, the AL at the end is probably just coincidence.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have the same boat essentially and bought it last off season. I got a pretty good deal because it was late February. Mine wasn't that clean, but it just needed a good detailing. I paid well less than that and the economy was in a lot better shape than it is now.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
Here is another option for you.. A bit of a drive for you I suppose but a 2 year newer boat and at a better price...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20237
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
I think the 2001 Sunsetter (not the Wakesetter) VLX had a diamond hull. You may want to verify that before buying an 01.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-10-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
...all I can say is that I have seen boats sell for thousands less than the original asking price. If you follow the market carefully you will see boats
up for sale for over a year. I have even made offers on boats which were rejected....but eventually seen the owners drop their prices to that level after a year. I can appreciate all owners trying to get what they can....but realistically most boats are over priced when listed....anyone who is priced right is sold.....the others remain on the market for a long time. Like I said if you follow the market for a while you will get the feel of it. Also call up some owners....you will find they have sold their boat...then ask for how much...most will give you an honest answer.

For your type of boat it def. seems like you should be able to get one for 20 or less....then again maybe get a newer boat if you have a 28000 budget.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on May 10, 2009)
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-10-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
Stephen I tried to send you a PM, not sure if it worked or not
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Ryan,
I responded to your PM. If you haven't received my response, let me know and I'll shoot you an email.
Old     (over50)      Join Date: May 2009       05-11-2009, 4:30 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replys. I went back to Idaho Water Sports to take a look at the 99 Sunsetter that had tanks and wakesetter graphics. It had sold for 23k. It was still there and I got a closer look at it, it was well used. I have looked close at the 2001 sunsetter that rpenner mentioned. It does have the diamond hull. I am not sure that would make that much of a difference for our level of boarding, but I think my son would disagree. I am looking at a 2002 vlx today in SoCal. Hope it goes well. Thanks for all the comments.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2009, 5:31 AM Reply   
Boat nada = no trailer is included in that price.
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-11-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
I stopped by and looked at that boat also, I didn't think it was in to bad of shape. The decals may need replaced but the gel coat and interior were in excellent shape. I am surprised it sold so quick, has been on their lot for almost a year! I looked at the NADA also, I could get the boat to book at $18.5K and the trailer at $1.5k.