Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    wickedwake            02-08-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
Ok, I understand that ballast weighs the boat down which pushes the hull down further in the water which then creates a larger wake (in theory) Well do the same principles apply to non wakeboard boats? It seems logical that this would create a larger wake, but Im not sure if it will in a boat not created to make a large wake...But I picked up 400 lbs of lead today for 10$. So should be try it? later, Clay
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-08-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
Yea Clay, any boat will create a bigger wake
with more weight in it. Just have to place the weight correctly in the boat to help the wake shape. Just keep in mind a wakeboard specific boat just has a different wake shape than a non wakespecific boat will. Trust me I have owned both
kinds. And even with our old non wakespecific
boat weighted with 2500 lbs of ballast, it just
doesnt compare to a wakespecific boats wake.
But as long as your having fun, thats all that matters, right?
Old    wickedwake            02-08-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
"having fun"

for sure! There is nothing I would rather be doind, I dont care what im hooked up to.

Are there any rules of thumb for ballast placement to increase wake size? I know that you put weight on the side that is washed out but should we put weigh in the rear/ middle or front?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-08-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
Depending on how big your boat is, you usually want a little more weight in the rear.
Do you have a outboard or a I/O? If you have a
I/O you can tilt the outdrive up a little and that
will also help the wake shape also, usually will make it a little steeper. As far as side to side, just watch how the wake forms, alot will depend on how people are seated in the boat, and of course how much people weight also. Thats the nice thing about having people on board, we call it human ballast, there easy to move around and can help the wake shape alot.. LOL. Good luck and have fun!!!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-09-2005, 9:56 AM Reply   
For now I have one 600# sack I put on the floor in front of back seat. It makes the wake steeper and cleaner.