Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-04-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
I am looking to put a new sub in my boat and will be
running 300 watts rms. What do you think of the JL Audio 12w3v2d2 sub. Or would you recommend something different.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-06-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
anybody
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-06-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
Talk to clubmyke, or whitechololate... They're the stereo guys around here.

-Blake
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2005, 1:09 AM Reply   
i have tried jl, kicker,soundstream,a/d/s, boston subs in cars.. boats are kinda tough sub install..

there are a lot of factors to consider...power requirements, placement and box size take part in a boat installation...

power- consider your amp(class a/b or d) class d amps require less power and run cool. also a 100-150 amp altenator, batteries should be taken into consideration.

placement / box size- hugh, hugh problem on a boat..you are filling a very large, open area.. the sub will sound its best when the cone is placed firing into the cabin... if it is placed in the storage area, then the sound might not make it out and sound quality will be compromised.. dont get me wrong, it will work... but will require a large sub/box/amp..depending on the boat- the front drivers area is more than likely your best spot or have a ported box with the ports firing into the boat

have tried subs in the past and the jl are good subs (though after time, the surround came apart from the cone).

have been running image dynamics idq series the last 3 years with very good success..

the idq series have been out for awhile and are a establised designed and are easy to get a good sounding sub..they need very little airspace (.85 for sealed and 1.25 for ported), easy to drive (efficent), very high sound quality (unusual in a car sub), and they hit hit very, very hard..

imo(take it with a grain of salt)- you can do better, but it will be a much, much higher cost(higher powered amps, reworked electrical system) and greater box space (box and storage space depends on your boat and your willingness to dedicate to it)

hope that helps.

(Message edited by clubmyke on February 07, 2005)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-07-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
JL is well respected and makes good stuff. I agree with mike, the biggest factor is where you put it. I had two 12" subs originally in my storage compartment and they sounded alright, but when i put them up in front of the drivers seat they sounded so much better.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-07-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
I installed a pair of JL 10's in the back facing forward, it ended up being the best place for them in my boat. .
jl
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-07-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info so far. I will be building a custom box and putting in the drivers footwell where the stock sub is. I was just wondering if there is a better sub then the JL that I listed in my post.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-07-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
That is a great sub for 300 watts. I've had that sub w/ that amount of power and it sounded great. JL makes great subs, some of the best IMO.