Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-31-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
Being the all around anal-retentive guy that I am when it comes to my vehicles, and having just joined the world of inboard owners, I have started to try to educate myself on the idiosyncracies of my "Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI Tournament Ski" engine.
In other words, 350 Chevy 4 bolt main multiport injected engine.
Some of these marketing names they come up with for these engines crack me up. Hammerhead, Monsoon, etc. Jeez...
Anyway, I was researching the filters on the engine, and found this very interesting website with an oil filter comparo obviously done by a guy after my own heart. It is worth a look if you are interested in the real difference between some of the filters on the market, and as I found when doing this same research on my diesel pickup, there are lots of differences.

I know own another engine I won't be buying any Wix Filters for...
Check it out. www.oilfilterstudy.com

If you are REALLY into this, follow the link back to the home page and check out the Blackstone Oil Analysis Link.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-31-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
here's one i came across a few yrs ago that seems to disagree to some extent: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

i used to use FRAM, but since reading that i use WIX and Purolator mostly.

reagrding the names... thaere are really only 3 companies that build inboard engines (Indmar, PCM, and Mercruiser) - the rest is marketing.
Old    powerstroke            02-01-2005, 4:04 AM Reply   
i was under the assumption that they put the marine applications on the already manufactured ford or chevy. ie ex. manifolds, water pumps and whatever cga electronics. just my .02
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
Trace,

Looks like some of the same info.
The oil analysis that came back on my diesel while running WIX filters moved me to Fleetguard or Baldwin. Fleetguard makes the filters for the manufacturer of the engine, so I'll take that as a good sign, but the Baldwin model does the best job according to my Blackstone results.

The boat will see either Mercruiser or Baldwin Filters.

Ryan, I believe your assumption to be correct. GM and Ford sell engines as a long block (+-) to Indmar, PCM and Merc, and they go from there.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-01-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Army Dad, just some food for thought. I read that article or one similar a few years ago. According to Mercruiser, they will not cover any engine damage caused by oil or filter if not using Mercruiser/Quiksilver. Haven't ever heard of the oil or filter doing any real damage, but they will test the items and will not cover any repairs if not using their parts. Of course this is not a very likely sceanario, but it is cheap insurance.

Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
Patt,

Thanks, I hear you. My boat is a 98 Sanger DLX, however it only has 160-something hours on it, and has been garaged it's entire life. I plan on having it for a long time, and would stick exclusively with the Merc stuff were it under warranty. I am going to put it back on the Merc Spec Oil. It has had Castrol in it, and I had a less than good experience with Castrol in some of my high perf stuff. (600+ HP small blocks )
I'll probably wait until a second oil change and send in a sample to Blackstone just for giggles.

I would really like to put it on Mobil One, but will resist that temptation for the time being.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-01-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
Army Dad,

the oil you have been using, is it multi weight like 10w30 or is it straight like 40w. The Merc. oil says 25w40 on the bottle but is straight 40w oil. Mercruiser said that since most people don't boat in overly cold weather, it is safe to use straight 40w. They said that the markings on the bottle are just a carryover from older bottles and has never been changed. What kind of experience have you had with Castrol? How did you know it was due to the oil? I have only used Quaker State and Pennzoil in all my vehicles since I began drivinga and never had any problems, at least that I know of. I have never had oil tested. I am kinda afraid to do it now, since it might show something that I should have corrected in the last 24 years.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-01-2005, 9:56 PM Reply   
The previous owner was using a multi-weight Catrol product. When I heard that, I pulled the plug. The Merc oil I purchased is labeled as 25-40.

We have had real good luck with Pennz 25-50 racing oil in the stroker small blocks, no excessive bearing wear or problems with high RPM valvetrain failure. It is very tolerant of methonal fuels. I wouldn't be afraid to run Pennzoil, and don't think you've messed anything up.
Some of todays roller cam profiles put unbelieveable loads on the lifters and rocker arms, and the mega-springs necessary to make those profiles work are really hard on the cam lobe surface.
I've had two bad experiences with Castrol.
My first 358 small block was built to run large doses of Nitrous Oxide. I could fire the engine on fresh GTX, and make one pass on nitrous. Pulling the dipstick afterwards, the oil would be as black as my diesel truck produces after 3 thousand miles in a total run time of about 10 seconds. It was, IMHO, junk.
The second failure was a shall we say, catastrophic valvetrain failure at about 7400 RPM. After examining the pieces-parts from that debacle, my engine builder laid the problem right at the oil. After repairs, we went back to Pennz 25-50, and I sold the vehicle in question in Nov. with great leakdown numbers. I have also opened more than one bottle of GTX and noted some kind of goo seperating out of the oil.
I trust this engine builder implicitly, not only is a good friend, but he ships 850HP 420 inch all aluminum small block engines to well known Sprint Car racers all over the U.S. and Austraila. I know they make those numbers, becasue I have seen them on the dyno with my own two eyes.

Wanna see my toy? go to the dirt bike thread in the other discussion line..It isn't a dirt bike..

In the truck, a 97 F350 with the 7.3 diesel, I run Chevron Delo 400 15-40. The Blackstone numbers are good, better than they were with Rottella T.
I really really like the Mobil One product, ran it in my motorhome and have it in my wife's SUV.
I think it is the best stuff out there.

There are guys out there that have good luck with Castrol and swaer by it. there are also guys who are racing and sponsored by Castrol who dump the stuff out and fill the bottles they take to the track with Mobil One, Royal Purple, or Red Line.

not the final word, Just my experience.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-02-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
I cringe a little when I hear someone say the warranty on your boat engine will be invalid unless you use Pennzoil, or Quicksilver, or whatever.

In most caess, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says otherwise. It's published in Title 15 of the U.S. Code, sections 2301-2312. Sec. 2302(c) provides as follows:

"Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest..."

So, when the dealer tells you that must use Pennzoil to protect your warranty, tell him he has to give you the oil for free.

Disclaimer: The purpose of this message is to educate about the law and not to provide legal advice. Application of a law depends on the facts of the case, and this is not a legal opinon regarding legal rights or liabilities you may have as an individual in a specific matter. You should consult with an attorney regarding any specific legal questions you may have.

Ahem--believe it or not, ethical rules for lawyers require me to say this, even on (or especially on) a discussion board.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-04-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
Man, you know your stuff. Ok, now that being said, is that Pennzoil Marine grade oil any good. I usually just keep going with the Merc oil because nobody ever has 6 quarts of another brand.

Army Dad,

when you say you will put Mobil One back in the boat, are you using a marine grade or regular.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-04-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
Patt,

I will put the Merc Stuff in it for now, and snoop around at the machine shop to determine if they think M-1 would be a problem.

I think Pennzoil marine stuff is just fine, I know some hotboat guys who swear by their lower gearcase stuff for outdrives.