Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (snacks)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-17-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
I am looking for any ideas on how to mount tower lights on the new Tigé Alpha Z tower. If anyone has an idea that would be great.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-17-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
They should integrated into the tower.

Upload

Or have you purchased after market ones?
Old     (dingleberry)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-17-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
dabell - yes, the docking lights are integrated, but I assume he is probably wondering about adding something like a light bar to illuminate the rider.

Sorry, snacks - I don't have any good ideas. If you have a thin light setup, maybe you could attach it on the underside of the tower crossbar by drilling and tapping for some bolts/screws. Be careful of stripping, though, as it is aluminum. Try asking Tim w/ WetSounds if he is installing one on his show boat...
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-17-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
had tower lights on my older MB Sport. IMHO. They were not worth having for riding. And were pretty much decoration. That is why I have not done them since. The Alpha Z has the docking built in and those are cool. But if you want something for night surfing etc..I prefer the LED transom lights.

I have night surfed behind boats with tower lights and transom lights and the transom is so much better and easier to ride. Tower lights blind you at night. Where the transom lights, light up the wave.

If you want lights to add some bling. Then look at adding the LED rings on the tower speakers.

Wish I could be more help. If you really want to do it erick has the right idea. The best option would be to get some lights made for the illusion tower. Drill and tap some threads and mount them that way. Would be the cleanest option. But you then have to wire them. So best thing to do there would be to use the tower speaker wire as a pull string and go ahead and pull some nice new speaker wire and the wire for the lights at the same time.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-17-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
If your going to add tower lights go with a spot/pencil beam over a flood beam...the flood beam patterns tend to be more blinding, especially for night surfing. I use amber colored lens to keep the bugs down. I use my toewr lights 2-3 times a week. I have switched to using all HID vs. traditional halogen.
Old     (snacks)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-17-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for your help. Yes we are looking at something that works back to the rider. I love the transom lights. We used those at Powell at midnight and loved it. I just have had some customers ask how they could do it.
Old     (johnnewton8)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
When I worked at a dealership I sold the "Titan Projection Light Systems" to customers and had them on our boat. We carried a couple other brands (Skylon, and Liquid Audio) but I really believe the Titan PLS are the best lights out.

http://www.titanwake.com/products/titan-tower-lights/titan-projection-light-system

They have a light shield on the bottom of the lense to prevent hull shine/reflection and they are more of a spot light than flood. It comes in a set of six lights (two bars with three lights on each); with 4 lights aiming forward and two aiming back; I never had a problem with seeing anything. I haven't tinkered with the new "Z" tower, and depending how adventurous you are, you could tap the tower and mount the bar or pull the lights off the bar and mount them directly to the tower. I see the bimini lays on the top (that makes it interesting) so you would have to mount them underneath next to the speakers or on the side of the tower. Then I used a 3 way toggle switch with on-off-on and had it wired to where the forward position was "all on" and the backward position was just the rear aiming lights on.

Hope some of that info was useful... have fun