Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
Here's my situation,

I went through hell trying to get a prop shaft ordered through Malibu. I had to talk with the malibu factory, copes, and Malibu's supplier Marine parts. Long story short malibu was out and had to place an order with marine parts and the job was supposed to be expedited (1 week).
This happened on the 28th of May. I was supposed to pick up the shaft early last week.

Now i find out that the shaft wont come in until after the 4th. This especially sucks because i have a bunch of family comming in from out of town and we were planning on going out in the boat.

I made some calls today and the root cause of the problem is Marine parts. So the question is who do i get to yell at? I have a hard time getting mad at copes or malibu because they are not the problem. But i can't yell at marine parts because i'm not really their customer.
So am i just out of luck or do you think this situation merits some compensation on the side of Malibu, Copes or Both? and if so what would be reasonable?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
call an out of state dealer that does a lot of volume (like Waterski America in Dallas)

maybe they have one in stock that they would overnight you

just a thought
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-19-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
When I got my boat at Copes I also went with the insurance company they recommended, Westmar. Part of my policy is that I can get a loaner boat through Copes if my boat is in the shop. I'm not sure if you have Westmar or not but if you take it up with a manager out at Bell Aqua they may accomodate you. I hear bad things about Bell Aqua but they have always bent over backwards for me. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you a loaner for a weekend when your family comes to town.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
Mikey I can hope but my boat is a 89 sunsetter so I don't know if they would be willing to take care of me in the same way. But you made the right choice going with westmar. We almost did but then thought hey what could go wrong, and went with a cheaper policy. Now i really wish i had payed the extra hundred for the westmar policy with the $250 deductible.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Well the people at Malibu lit a Fire under Marine parts a** and they are getting the shaft to Bell aqua Tuesday. And i did get some stickers out of them so i guess thats okay.
I'm just learning that in the boating industry when people say a week they mean a month. I'm scared to find out what it means when they say something will take a month.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
"Part of my policy is that I can get a loaner boat through Copes"

hahah...anyone have any stories of that actually happening? I ust don't see it.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
J-Rod For the most part I feel the same way you do but to tell you the truth, Paul in parts at Bell Aqua has been awesome. But i get the feeling that he is completely overwhelmed and understaffed.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-19-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
I have bought parts directly from Marine Parts before, and had excellent service. My local Malibu dealer OTOH... >:\
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-19-2008, 11:33 PM Reply   
J-Rod,
I know you pretty much know everyone in the wake community so I'll keep what you're saying in mind. The loaner part of the policy is basically why I went with Westmar at a premium price. I'm going to do some checking up with them and decide if i'm going to renew my policy. If anyone does have experience with a loaner boat, I'd love to hear it.

Matthew,
Paul is awesome. He's given me a hookup a few times on parts.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-20-2008, 1:58 AM Reply   
Blame Cope's because Malibu had issues getting a part from their supplier? Awesome idea!

Sometimes this place makes me scratch my head and wonder WTF, mate?
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       06-20-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
Mathew,

You might check with Discount Inboard Marine, good people to work with.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1011

If available, they will over night and get you on the water by the 4th...

JT