Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-04-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
The real questions should be "what does your girlfriend think of you wakeboarding habbit?"

For most everyone I know, there girls have a love-hate feeling about wakeboarding. Even if they, themselves wakeboard.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-04-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
That question only made me think how I wish my father was still alive so I could ask him.
Old    jesiday            11-04-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
Originally, my husband who literally picked me up by a lifejacket and threw me into the alligator infested waters of South Carolina. That was my first wakeboarding experience...needless to say, I was a little upset ;).
Now, I am totally hooked. I spend more time on the water than he does (Granted, it's not his choice). He taught me everything about driving and trailering a boat so that I can go out when he is not here.
More often than not, he wants me to stay off the water, even though my current injury status has a lot to do with that.
I would think that if you wakeboard, it would be hard to be with someone who doesn't appreciate it. After all, it's more of a lifestyle than a weekend outing.
-jesi
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-04-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
It's an addiction for me, which is probaly why I do not have a boyfriend! I grew up waterskiing and then wakeboarding became popular when I was about 15. Picked it up then and took it a little to far, I spend just about everyday on the water. My parents could care less, they grew up waterskiing and spending day in and day out on the lake so they completely understand my obsession!
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-04-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
My girl dislikes it like there is no tomorrow. Every sat. morning when the phone rings she tells me "your boyfriend is calling". She continually tells me that we need to spend more time together, but she wont go on the boat. So the way I see it is I'm not going to give up the one thing in life I truely enjoy, and she can just deal with it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-04-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
Mel I've found my addictions are the cause of me not having a girlfriend... and Im 20 haha

Parents love it, girlfriend... well the girlfriend used to tag along but shes not around anymore
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-04-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Chris, I laughed out loud, I used to get the same exact s_it. My response, who in there right mind doesn't want to go hang out in the sun, have a few drinks and relax (winter excluded) what else better do you have to do?

Chris, I have since fired that girl and moved on to one who enjoys the water as much as me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-04-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
adam and Chis--

So freaking true!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-04-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
The rents are cool...they buy me beer and put gas in the boat for me and my bros to thrash all day long. j/k

My story is somewhat like Mel's, except I gots a girl like Adam and no I didn't have to toss her overboard like Jessica. LOL
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-04-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
You poor guys! I couldn't deal with all that, I'd have to kick them to the curb if they mocked me and my riding! My life revolves around when I'm going to ride, no matter how I have to work my schedule. I just need to find someone as obsessed with it and I'll be good to go!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-04-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
Melanie, too bad youre on the oppsite side of the country. Im always bugging my friends to go boarding, but some wimp out a lot (too cold, too whatever). After riding one day last year w/ Andy, Im obsessed to get half as good as him!!! The only negative feed I get from the wife is Im using too much gas. (Oh well, thats why I work)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-04-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
My parents met on a waterski vacation at the Colorado River so i like to think that I am a Waterski Love Child. My parents are my biggest fans and greatest supporters, they see how much I love it and push me every day. I had a girlfriend that liked the lake but not how much I rode. She got curbed for other reasons but I have found a new lady that is hooked. It's awesome watching her ride and everytime I ride she gets all excited and makes me promise to teach her new stuff. It's all about finding a secure chick who doesn't care what you do. It's all about having fun, together & apart.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-04-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
My wife loves it. It was her idea to get a boat and get me into boarding. Mom always tells me to be careful and not get hurt.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-04-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
Its great when youre family/friends support youre riding. But when it comes down to it we(riders) dont care if you support riding or not we are still going out on the lake.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-04-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
Melanie,

I'm just north of you.........ok about 1200 miles north!

Not to mention a little older!

I'm sure there are some guys in FL. that like to ride. Go find some!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-04-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
My 16 year old son can’t stand going out on the boat, my wife isn’t in to it either but she still let me buy a new boat this year. My 13 year old daughter is kind of in to boarding, I think that she’d go out more often if she could get girls her age to go. I mostly go out boarding with the guys.

I'm the only real kid in the family.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-04-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
My father thinks what I do is a waste of time and I get paid from this industry.

(Message edited by solo on November 04, 2005)
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
My parents are fine w/ me riding. But I wish I could go out riding everyday instead of random days when they feel like it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-04-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
my folks are down for sure. Papps bought me the boat. In fact he drives the meanest triple up in the world.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-06-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
My girl friend: "When are we going to the lake again?"

My parents: "Why don't yall take the boat somewhere and go wakeboarding"

It is kind of crazy because last summer I got two or three lectures on how it was to dangerous for me and my buddies to drive to the river with a boat. I finally broke down one day and told dad I wanted an inboard. Man I smiled for 2 weeks when I got his answer. I picked up my choice of the litter last November, and have spent most of my pay checks on a tower and fat sacs. This summer has been great. Of course my trouble rate is now at an all time low but being I am 18 it kind of needs to stay there.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-06-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
My husband and I bought a boat 3 years ago. I had never wakeboarded but my pro surfer daughter did and she talked me into trying it. I am sooooo hooked now. I am the one draging my husband and 10 year old son out with me. And I rode twice a week with a coach all summer.

Chris..better yet..get one who shares your interests!!
Old    upupnaway            11-06-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
My lady loves it as much as I do. We average about 5 days a week during the summer
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-06-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
My parents really liked it, even so much as to buy me a boat, until I got back into school and I joined the University of TN wakeboard team. Now they think my grades have taken a backseat, so they've got a more negative outlook on it.