Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
I didn't think the biggest breakthrough in wake production could get any better...the only other thing we can do to this glorified boat anchor is color co-ordinate it...but on a lighter note, at least they have finally made it more efficient. I obviously don't have a Malibu, but am still sick of adjusting my shorts for 3 minutes while the boat gets on plane. I love 'Bu wakes, just spare me the wedge and drop in 500 real lbs.

End Hate
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
I don't own a Malibu either but I've never heard anything good about the wedge from the couple hundred people I've talked to that do have a Malibu
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-24-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
all the owners I know don't even use it.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
but its new AND improved!!!!! hahahaha
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I use it. I don't have to adjust my shorts for three minutes. It's called propping your boat correctly to adjust for the amount of weight you put in your boat.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
thats a long title.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-24-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
this is going to be a long thread. im making my popcorn

you guys hating must have experience with the wedge and a vlx, that boat should not have the wedge but the lsv and 247 should always have it
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
^^^^^Even though this might sound like I'm arguing with you 3 who posted above me, this isn't meant to be like that. You posted your opinion and you are all entitled to it. I just feel its necessary to back up my favorite boat manufacturer and wake in the industry so here goes. I used to own an 05 VLX so it was 1 year before the power wedge came out. My buddy has an 07 VLX with the power wedge. I think its the best boat innovation to date along with perfect pass/wakeboard pro. A VLX with 4 full ballasts and the wedge give the best wake I've ever ridden on and I would never buy another boat but a Wakesetter VLX again. And yes, I've ridden on other boats (SAN, X Stars, B52, Tige, Centurion), I've done them all. And I'm calling BS on Lovin the wake that you have never heard anything good about the wedge from the "couple hundred people that you've talked to that do have a Malibu". I'm sure you don't even know more than 10 people that own a Malibu unless you are a Malibu salesman. Nobody on here probably knows hundreds of people who even own a wakeboard boat in the first place. And to say that not a single person has something good to say about the wedge out of "hundreds" is just ridiculous.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Crap, I started writing mine when there were only 3 postings, Ryan and Callen beat me...
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Malibu boats are second to none when it comes to fit/finish, styling, etc...undoubtedly one of the nicest boats around..however, i prefer the wake with no wedge involved. The wedge puts a little lip in there, kind of like a DD lip, especially when there is a bunch of weight in em'. I've ridden just about every boat that came with a Wedge except for the 247, dating back to prob. 1997/98...and i prefer Malibus' untainted wake. I believe that a majority of 'Bu owners have the same preference. We'll soon see I guess. Maybe Dave could make a poll out of it.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-24-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
I LOVE the Wedge Wake Wedge dialed to 70% The Lip is perfect. It set's me up just how I like it. and the landings on the other side are trough free. The Cleanest, most consistent wake out there, the 2009 VLX full ballast, wedge at 70%
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
i think the wedge is good for one thing. and its something that we used on my homies x-15 all year and thats gettin the boat out of the hole and on plane.

other than that i'm not a big fan of the wedge as far as shaping the wake. you can do that with knowledge and fatsacs.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
I guess what got me started on this topic was the link on the home page advertising "More Power and Fuel Savings" or something along those lines. All the auto wedge does is allow you to actually use the power you've had all along, and to save some of the gas you are wasting while using the Wedge in the first place. Very misleading title. I know this concept is going to be way over some of your heads, but i have already typed it so whatever...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-24-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
JR - The wedge makes it HARDER to plane out. Everybody's preference on wake may determine if you want it or not, but I don't think there is much disagreement that it puts more of a lip at the top of the wake. It's up to you if you like that or not.

I think the power wedge shapes the wake better than my fixed wedge...especially with a lot of weight already in the boat.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-24-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Derek - Isn't marketing defined as being misleading?!
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
jr- are you familiar with THE WEDGE?? i don't think you can put them on Mastercrafts...maybe I am wrong
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Yeah JR, the wedge makes the back of the boat sink down in the water so it has nothing to do with getting the boat out of the hole. It does the exact opposite actually. Thats why the Auto Wedge is a good idea if you are a wedge user like myself and everyone I ride with. If you like the shape of the wake that the wedge makes, then the auto wedge is cool because it will retract up when getting the rider up, then once on plane and at rider speed, it drops down creating the lip on the wake.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
too many non haters on here.....hahhaa
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
i've ridden behind many a malibu's and yes i'm familiar with the wedge. i dont think it makes that big a difference. thats just my opinion.

you're wrong derek. its not "THE WEDGE" thats on the malibu but its same little thing that goes up and down at the flip of a switch and its attached at the back of the boat on the bottom, sort of like how THE WEDGE is attatched.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-24-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
No.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
IMO w/ or w/o the wedge the Wakesetter was and is the sickest boat ever made EVER ! ! ! ! But that's just my opinion
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-24-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
My Favorite thing about Using a Wedge is when I breaks off and My Malibu Boat Owner Friends go crazy with anger! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I have been on a ton of Bu's when the something goes wrong with the wedge.....it breaks off (2 TIMES).....When it wont lock in place (tons of times)....when the auto wedge is stuck up, down or half way inbetween....

I am just not to into having anything that sticks off the boat control the wake be it a wedge or tabs or anything. I do however love the wake on the Bu's but I too hate the 15 minutes to plane.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Lets not forget what happens when your in shallow waters and hit a rock.

Normal Boat= some prop and shaft repair (maybe some fiberglass

Malibu=same as above+ your boat sinking because it took on water from wedge ripping off. (This actually did happen with a customer at the old malibu dealer I worked for, they got the boat out in time but any longer and it woulda been an anchor) Maybe they should start using closed cell foam like some other manufacturers. Atleast that way it has a better chance of staying affloat.

Side note- Love the Bu wake, but IMO they use the wedge for what they lack in hull design.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Shouldn't a boat be designed for a great wake without all of the gadgets? I rode Malibu for 10 Years and definitely not a hater, but now that I have been on an MB that doesn't have a wedge and has a ballast that take 90 seconds, I have a whole new respect for how things should be. On almost every Malibu I owned we ran without the wedge because the wake shape is great and than 4-5 sacks and it is awesome. We always foudn the wedge to kill fuel milage.

There will are a few inventions this calender year that WILL change fuel consumption and how we think about boats fuel consumption.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
The rudder sits lower than the wedge doesn't it? So if anything were to hit a rock or tree limbs, it would be the prop and rudder first before the wedge gets touched.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-24-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
QUOTE:

"Side note- Love the Bu wake, but IMO they use the wedge for what they lack in hull design.

This is getting FUN!!!!!!!!!! That oughta mke some people freak!

jason callen (westsidarider) MAke some more popcorn!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
I rarely use my wedge, but it does work when lightly loaded. However, I have been in several boats that take a while to get on plane, but I attribute that to not having enough weight in the bow.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-24-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
QUOTE:

"Side note- Love the Bu wake, but IMO they use the wedge for what they lack in hull design.

This is getting FUN!!!!!!!!!! That oughta mke some people freak!

jason callen (westsidarider) MAke some more popcorn!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-24-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
yes you would have to completely tear the rudder off for a rock or object to hit the wedge
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
I also think the power wedge works better with the newer hulls/SV25 vs. the sv23.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       10-24-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I ride behind a nautique but i drive and ride behind a few malibus of friends that have the wedge. I like the Malibu wakes as well as Nautiques so i think the wedge is a great device for Malibu. Like I said I really like the wake but i have some opinions on the usability of it after using it for the last 10 yrs. The first wedge i rode behind was on a 1995 Sunsetter in which he bought a wedge for in the late 90s and retrofitted on. It was manual and a pain to deploy because there was no hole in the swim deck so you had to get wet to put it up and down. There was a long bar to push in and pull out, but it worked and made the wake better. Later they changed it and put the hole in the swim deck and had no bar to remove which made deployment easy and the whole system worked well. Easy to deploy, made a nice wake. Then in about 2006 they came out with the power wedge. What a pain to deploy. The boat has to be going like 3-7mph to put it down for safety reasons, so guess what, if you forget, you can't deploy it after the rider gets up because you are going more than 7mph so you have to stop. But, guess what, you have to go at least 3mph so you have to drag the rider or have them let go of the rope while you drive in a circle trying to deploy the wedge. What a screwed up system, they really horked it with the power wedge, they should have left it as it was. But then, guess what, they came out with the digital dash in 2008 so now you not only have to run the boat at 3-7mph to deploy it, but you have to screw around with the stupid dash digital controls that are 10x worse than trying to set a clock on a VCR. To top it off with the trigger finger throttle on the 08 drive by wire that if you even breath on or even look at the throttle it will move in large increments forward or reverse you will be lucky if you dont run something over trying to do the digital wedge deployment and go 3-7mph. Oh, but then with the silly Malibu cruise control that turns itself off every time you turn off the key you probably forgot to turn it on before you pull the rider up as well. So stop the boat again to turn the cruise back on. I love the Malibu wake but their controls for wedge, throttle, and cruise are messed up.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
jr- i think you have confused the wedge with trim tabs. two totally different things. trim tabs are great, please don't categorize them with things like the wedge.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Jason that is true, but trust me it happened. That was kinda my point as well. Not only did it hit the prop and rudder but it took out the wedge as well. The guy was comming around a turn at our local lake and was pretty close to the shore line. The rock was about a foot below the water and unmarked. Given its not his fault that the rock wasnt marked but thats some of the down falls to having a wedge. If you run your a wedge over a rock thats sitting only a foot under water it doesnt matter whats sitting lower. Its all guna get worked! wedge, rudder, prop, shaft, etc.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
I wish I still worked there Id send some pics. But as for that Malibu dealer, they are great people. Owners and all and they did so much for me. I wouldnt do that to good people. The rudder was wipped out and as well as the 3 blades on the prop and shaft was incredibly mangled.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Andy- all my buddies that have BU's use the wedge so I can take some criticism for not having experience without the wedge. I admit that. The way I was kinda looking at it was that you have to use the wedge to not only add weight to the rear end of the boat, but it CLEANS up the wake as well. So my point being is that if you need a wedge to help clean up the wake then in fact you are lacking hull design. But now that were further in dept and I honestly dont have much experience without the wedge, I retract my previous statement. Ive ridden with Tony Carrol a few times before they got there epic. Tony always ran the wedge and with the way the weighted there boat the wake was AMAZING. But that also confirmed my opinion that you need it for a clean wake. Like I said though I could be very wrong, I dont have experience without it.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
i dont have it confused. i know the difference.

i'm not disagreeing with you in that the wedge is a waste of metal. re-read what i posted origionally. using the wedge to shape the wake is a novel idea but, as the reason you started this thread, it tends to fail, thus the only good reason to put a wedge type instrument on the boat is for reasons that MC has done with their use of the Attitude Adjustment Plate.

sorry if i wasnt clear....enough
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Here ya go! http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/84779.html?1065851509

Google- wedge torn off+malibu
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Link isnt working just google that and click on the WW link that says wedge ripped off
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
derek - do you know what the auto wedge does? Not flaming it just sounds like you aren't sure what it does. If you have it set to say a "1000lb" setting, when you stop, the wedge returns to its setting of least resistance (should be about 400lb) so you can plane out faster. Once you are up to speed, it automatically returns to where you had it set. This is not a trim tab comparison but this is VERY similar to what "trim" on an I/O is used for. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. Adjusting the wedge is something that I actually have to do manually when I drive between 400lb and 800lb settings. Shehan is probably just now learning that I do this when he rides by the way. It's not a big deal but I can see how this would be a nice feature.

This thread has quickly turned into an issue about the auto feature of the wedge to the wedge as a whole.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
jr, just to be perfectly clear, THE WEDGE and trim tabs such as MC's, Tiges, Supras, etc.. are completely different, both in design and also function. The only device that is similar (as you put it, "wedge-type") is the Switchblade. I love trim tabs, they usually work great and have been around forever. The wedge, however, should be labeled as a compensator. I hope we don't need pics to explain this.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
VLX- yeah, i have had some experience with the power wedge, and the auto wedge is borrowing on the idea Supra had for the "smartplate" which adjusts as a riders speed is being reached. I am 100% clear on what the wedge is and also what the auto wedge does...manual, power, auto, or plated in gold, I just don't like what it does to the wake. Thats my only concern.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
Are we seriously blaming the wedge for taking a long time to plane out?

Ballast is the same way.

The wedge is simulated weight in the rear. The shape of the wedge does not shape the wake. The position of the wedge simulates 400-1200 pounds of weight in the rear. The angle it creates with the hull placement in the water is what shapes the wake. It's the same with positioning your fat sacs properly.

Prop your boat properly and/or add weight to the front.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Derek - I certainly see your point as its all about preference but your thread title is knocking the auto feature when you seem to be knocking the wedge as a whole.

Either way you see it, the wedge has "trim" characteristics. That is the whole point behind the auto feature.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
yeah, i see your point, but I doubt the wedge has ever been sold as a trim gadget. Its drag hardware. I guess it all comes down to two age-old sayiings..."You can't put lipstick on a pig" and you certainly can't "polish a turd."
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Definitely agreed that its not sold as a trim gadget. But from someone that has a power wedge, the auto wedge feature would be nice but I am certainly capable of pushing the button for a couple seconds to accomplish the same purpose.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
like i said before i UNDERSTAND the difference. do you really not understand what i'm saying???

i thought the phrase "wedge type instrument" (eg. a piece of metal whether it be an actual Malibu Wedge, or MC's Attitude Adjustment Plate or Tige's TAPS, or the trim tab on a Bayliner) was a dead give away as to what i was referencing. EH
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-24-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Say what you want to say but the wedge is a great option for 95% of the people buying wakeboats. If you don't want one order one without it. My roommate is Bret V. He has an 08 with quad ballast and wedge. The wake is outstanding for 99% of the people. The best part is you don't have to wait 15 minutes for 3k in ballast to fill or load your boat with lead. Is the wake better if you leave the wedge up and throw 3500#'s in it, YES. I went out to Brent Starr's house and he had his loaded with 4k or so. Bret said the wake was better, but you have to ***** around with a bunch of extra weight. Most families don't want to do this.

People on wakeworld have a common misconception that they speak for the masses. 95% of the people buying these boats are families who wakeboard here and there. They probably even tube behind their boat. Let's see, appeal to 5% of the market or 95%.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-24-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Wow I should have woke up earlier to start reading this thread hahaaa

Callen pass some of that popcorn over here
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-24-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Brett- Hit the nail on the head dead on
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
uh, yeah Bret, thats what I said. I said that I don't like it. Well, who cares if I don't like it, right? Apparently everyone cares. I was just voicing my opinion on how I feel about the Wedge, whether it be the original, power, or auto. Obviously there are some others who feel similar...hence the "Haters Only" title...the wedge works great for a lot of people, and not so great for others.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Wedge isn't perfect, but it isn't a bad device. I would use a power wedge more often than the manual.

Should we ask about Convex V and not needing ballast?

(Message edited by johnsvt on October 24, 2008)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-24-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
I thought the Malibu wakes were sort of flat without the wedge.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
HAHA ok, convex V is rad, and the "rocker" of the hull works great paired with TAPS...as for not needing ballast, thats the biggest load of crap ever. Tiges need ballast, end of story. And once you have the ballast in them, they need TAPS to fine tune. Antone who argues that does not know the value of a large, clean wake. Look what I've got myself into....
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
I personally think the convex V makes a Tige porpose, unless it is loaded with bow ballast. Then I think bow ballast negates the "rocker" effect.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-24-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
I personally think the convex V makes a Tige porpose, unless it is loaded with bow ballast. Then I think bow ballast negates the "rocker" effect.

So, no one wakeboards @ 30+ mph.

Are you saying Tige is the only boat that needs weight up front.....because most, if not all, offer a forward ballast tank/sac. Why would that be if it's not needed?

Kinda funny how soooo many threads end up as a Tige bash, hell even threads about Bay Liners eventually come to this. Some of ya'll need to get a life, this horse is beat to death, buried, turned to worm dirt and growing moss.

"Should we ask about Convex V and not needing ballast?"

Nice attempt to shift the focus of the readers from the original Topic and Malibu. I guess you cant defend the wedge then? Do you by chance work for the Obama camp?

(Message edited by chpthril on October 24, 2008)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
Mike...If Dmac were a MC owner I would have brought up something about how the wakes were too big. Unfortunately Tige doesn't have that problem.

Carry on
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
oh crap, here we go..
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-24-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Ill try to put this back on Subject.
Auto wedge. It's a start. I didn't know that new Bu's had that option. I think any boat that can make it easyer to get out of the hole is a good start. I know it only take a few seconds more for most boat's with lots of weight in them for the wake to clean up while the boat gets to speed. But for me the few seconds it takes it seems like forever. Anything to seed that process up IMO is a great idea.
If Bu's can make the wedge go up when the boat not on plane why not. I think its a great idea and it makes use of they are all ready working with. Why would you hate that? and if you can save gas in the process again why not.

Rant warning read on at own risk
I think the "Pure Vert" Ballast system in the Calabrea is a awesome. Some how its not gotten a lot of attention. Most people don't even know what it does or how it work's.
The boat has 2 KGB ballast tanks below the water line in the floor. The boat has 2 valve's in the back of the boat one one either side of the exhaust flap. You open the valve's and the boat takes on thousand's of LBS of water with no pump's in second's. To empty you get the boat on plane and pull the valves and it all comes out in second's Again with no pump's. Anybody that has driven a boat with lots of weight know's they drive like crap.

IMO if some how you could have a Hybrid ballast system Somthing like whats on the Calabrea and the Pure Vert that lets you get out of the hole with no weight and then when the boats on plane it takes on ballast. As soon as you chop the throttle it dumps the ballast and you can go back and pick up your rider with no weight.

IMO These are the types of options that would make people buy a new boat. Not some cheeper stripped down boat (AXIS). There's all ready enough junk on the water as is we don't need more. If some one wants a cheep wake machine let them go buy a used 2001. The industry need's new better product's not re vamped stuff we all ready have. Example Bu came out with with its new LCD dash board. Yea that's cool but what does it do thats better or diffrent than the orignal???? Hey Bu here's a idea. Why not throw a water proof cammera facing backwards at the swim step. When the boat starts up or go's into reverse the back up style cammera let's the driver see whats going on at the swim step? Simple and makes use of what you all ready have and does somthing that no other boat has for like a extra $100. I think the HSE volume control is a great option that MC is gonna have Again does somthing that no other boat does. How about a power flag thats tied in with speed control so you dont need to have a person working the flag. I could go on and on. Sorry for the long rant.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
My first post, for those who don't like to read....
"I didn't think the biggest breakthrough in wake production could get any better...the only other thing we can do to this glorified boat anchor is color co-ordinate it...but on a lighter note, at least they have finally made it more efficient. I obviously don't have a Malibu, but am still sick of adjusting my shorts for 3 minutes while the boat gets on plane. I love 'Bu wakes, just spare me the wedge and drop in 500 real lbs.

End Hate"
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Ya ewing, Tige's don't need a drain in the middle of our boat.

okay, just joking guys..... On with the Wedge Hashing!!!!!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Yes, the pure-vert system on the Tomcat I had this past year was 100% legit. 2400 in 90 seconds to fill and about 45 to empty. The genius is in it's simplicity.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-24-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Is the Pure-Vert system something that can be sold to other boat makers? I know MB and Calbrea were connected. Just wondering if other boat makers could pay a fee to use this system
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
It's now too late for me. I am gonna bash every boat brand.

OInboards can you balance the boat on the fly with your ballast system? Since most vdrives have a crappy washed out wake.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Tige is rumored to get the Pure-Vent system later this year or in next years models.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
David B.-
"Tige's dont need a drain in the middle of there boat"

PLEASE PLEASE explain this comment to me. Because its quite humorous. I think tige makes some good looking boats, but not having a drain IN THE BOAT IS NOT A BENEFIT TO TIGE if thats what your implying. Thats like saying "I get in the boat wet but dont need a drain in my tige because..... well crap maybe i do need a drain hahahahaha"

Ive seen fat sacs pop in boats. Do tige not need a drain because the water mysteriously evaporates because ITS A TIGE? This is all too funny.

Sorry for the off subject IMO that was just not a smart comment.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Its hard to interpret some of these post because a drain could be a number of things. But if your refering to the drain similar to the MC's then your just wrong Im sorry bro. That drain combined with auto bilges works miracles.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-24-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
I think it's funny to see people hate on something that has a purpose as if somebody is forcing them to use it. It may not be for everybody, but the Wedge has a purpose and is effective whether you like it or not. If you don't need the Wedge, then don't use it. Seems pretty simple to me. It makes about as much sense as making fun of a boat for having a stereo in it when you have no interest in listening to music.

This weekend we pulled JD Webb, Dean Smith and Kyle Alberts behind the WakeWorld Wakesetter (which has a Power Wedge). We did not use the Wedge because we loaded up the boat with 5,500 lbs. worth of weight. All the riders agreed that the wake was incredible. Kyle Alberts wanted to use the Wedge because he likes the shape it gives the wake, but he rode without it since we had so much weight in there.

However, 80% of the time, I use my boat for riders of varying skill levels, including my young children. I have no interest in adding and removing weight every time we pull a rider with a different skill level than the last, so I like the fact that I can easily move the Wedge up or down in order to give myself a large wake or my kids something smaller. It's a great option that makes everyone's day on the water much better.

Now that they've come up with the Auto Wedge (which it sounds like many on this thread have yet to read about based on their uninformed comments), this tool is even more useful. For those that wish to use the Wedge, it can actually help you get on plane faster and save some gas money versus the non-Auto Wedge. How can that be a bad thing? If someone came up with a system to instantly empty ballast before a rider gets up and then instantly load it up again once the boat gets on plane, wouldn't that be a helpful feature. Of course it would.

I realize many are loyal to other brands and that's great because there are so many awesome boats out there, but when you start taking disingenuous stabs at the rides preferred by your fellow wakeboarders, it just makes you look silly and insecure.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-24-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
well put
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-24-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
second to larzon's comment
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
I can say that some enlightenment has come from this post. I was unaware of what the wake was like without the wedge. I ASSUMED that the wedge was there to beef up and clean up the wake and being that everytime Ive ridden behind a BU we use the wedge. So why not use it? Thats why I said that I thought they may lack in hull design. After reading DW's post as well as others I can honestly say I was wrong. I havent seen a sacked out BU without the wedge. Thats food for thought though. My buddy has the quad ballast system and we load some extra sacs on top of that plus the wedge. Next time Im going to bring an extra sac intstead of the wedge and check it out.
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-24-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
5500 lbs

Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
dave, I was just joking and referring to water coming over the bow in that comment and the "big waves" that it puts out. I personally haven't seen a "big wave" on it but I am not saying it doesn't exist. There are tons of people that know how to drive it without having water over the bow.

Basically, I was being sarcastic (where is the sarcastic emotional icon/ :-) )and then saying that we need to get back onto topic with the wedge.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Keith I hope that wasnt in reference to Daves post about sacin the wakeworld ghost with 5500lbs. Hes not jokin bro look at the pics he posted on the normal discussion board and you will see for yourself. The boat is almost to the rub rail
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-24-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote by Dave:
However, 80% of the time, I use my boat for riders of varying skill levels, including my young children. I have no interest in adding and removing weight every time we pull a rider with a different skill level than the last, so I like the fact that I can easily move the Wedge up or down in order to give myself a large wake or my kids something smaller. It's a great option that makes everyone's day on the water much better.

That is EXACTLY how the wedge benefited me and my riders when I owned an 01. I took it off and sacked it out and it was real nice for some, but not all; made the wake flatter, longer, rampier, just not as steep. Put it back on eventually...

(Message edited by deltagrubber on October 24, 2008)
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
Thats cool man thats why I had to post twice about not being able to interpret some of these post correctly. They do need some new icons though huh? Dave what up hook us up with new icons!
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Wow, that sure snow-balled, didn't it?? All I was saying IS that the wedge destroys ONE of my favorite wakes and I wish it was never invented. Thats just what I wish. Just me. I have gone as far as bringing an extra sac in hopes that my buddy with the Wakesetter will use it instead of the wedge. I was actually just curious as to whether or not there were any others on here who also preferred the Malibu wake w/o the Wedge. So, for myself and others, the WEDGE is an invention we could do without. Different ppl. require/desire different products.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
on a side note, our old MC Tristar had a custom ballast system we designed to fill through the mid-hull floor drain while we were driving...so the first person to take a set had to wait about a minute for the 4 bags to fill completely and the spotter had to reach down through the access and close the valve once bags started to bulge...totally off topic but kinda reminded me of a very primitive pure-vert system.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
purevert is awesome until you're riding... everything is great then your boat dies.... you're stuck with thousands of lbs of ballast that cant get out until you get it on an angle on a trailer....
not an easy task with a 3k+ lbs boat and 2k+ in water

do they have some sort of emergency water draining system or if you can't get on plain you're F'ed
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
Yea, awesome.... for an AirChair rider huh. You'll be happy to know he makes a little piece of every boat sold.

Nope, no backup pumps in Purevert. It's all gravity or nothing. Guess if your loading with the boat weighted, you'd have to push the trailer in a bit deeper, and have a truck with a little grunt to get it all up the ramp.

BTW, I removed the Wedge from the Vride when I bought it..... use just the 900 lbs in stock ballast. I just didn't care for the terrible performance with the wedge down. And the huge propwash is hell on a foil.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 24, 2008)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-24-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Nick: Yea that's the only possable draw back as I see it. Im sure it wouldnt be any problem to install a emergency exit ballast pump. Mabey Im jaded or lucky. but the 5+ years I have owned my boat die'n on the water has never been a problem. I would guess broken ballast pump's out number breaking down on the water 100 to 1.
On a side not I hope I just havent cursed my self my boat will probaly break down this weekend LOL