Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (stresn)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-23-2004, 3:25 AM Reply   
I've read several threads on Calabria's and see that people have mixed feelings about them. I am looking for answers on a really good set-up for my 2005. I've got the 330hp and know that there could be some cavitation...but I've heard it may only be because of the weighting. I've also read that Jimmy Wolf has one thats perfectly weighted...any idea on how he sets it up?

Any info would be awersome..thanks.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-23-2004, 6:27 AM Reply   
Stick with the 13X17.5 factory prop since your at low elevation. Proping it down will increase your hole shot but the prop will cause more cavitation. At higher elevations prop to a 13.5X16 Keep the weight from the rear seat to the windshield. Set the cavitation plate down 1/4 of an inch. I run approx. 1000#'s at the cockpit area with factory ballast. The more people we have then I start dumping factory ballast.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
My cavitated when I was wakesurfing and only put the weight in one back corner. When I spread the weight out through one side of the boat I didn't feel it cavitate. When I wakeboard, we spread the weight out from back to front.

I usually add two 350lbs on each side of the V-Drive and then a 500lb in the walkway to the bow. Then when we wakesurf we put the 600lb in the back corner and distributed weight up the side under the seats and a 350lb on the floor and the 500lb in the bow.

My advice would be to weight the whole boat down, not just the back.

Good luck, let us know about the service down there at the new OR dealer please.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
Jimmy's boat is loaded down pretty good. He puts a lot of weight up front and in the middle. Be careful about dumping the nose of the boat....I did when I was driving.

Jerry Lembas
Fluid Concepts
www.fluidconcepts.net
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-23-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Grady, Nice to see you got your 05. Phaeton really know how to load up a Calabria. Good luck with it. See ya at the INT's.
Old     (stresn)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-24-2004, 2:42 AM Reply   
Phaeton, thanks for the info, I am curious, do you run the cavitation plate down the whole time or just under the higer elevations..and do you see a lot of problems in the performance of the boat with that big of a prop...it just seems huge!

Bsflower, thanks for the info as well, when you run the 600lbs under the seat, do you use water or lead? and what is the total weight that you use?? also, what prop do you use and have you seen any performance issues? Lastly, I'm helping in setting up the new service for the dealer down here....I'm hoping that everything goes as plans...we've got 14 boats, and I'm just trying to learn everything that I can to get things up and running!

jlembas, do you know exactly how Jimmy loads his boat? I've heard a lot of things about his boat, but I don't know how he lays it out..and someone sent me his ph# but it was not working....any idea of an email address that you could email me?

Switch, yeah I'm pretty excited! I'll have this dialed in now time.....see you out on the water this year and at INT.

Thanks again all for your input!

G~
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-24-2004, 6:13 AM Reply   
Grady I sent you a private message.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-24-2004, 8:14 PM Reply   
Grady did you get Jimmys number? shoot me an email if you still need it.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-27-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
I really couldn't tell you the exact weight Jimmy puts in that boat. And I'll bet that Jimmy couldn't either. He will fill anything he can get his hands on at the dock and put it in the boat. Once on the water, he will move the lead weight around until he is satisfied with the wake. Sorry, I don't have his email address. However, I'll see him on Friday and I'll ask him.

Jerry Lembas
Fluid Concepts
www.fluidconcepts.net