Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    jasrocks            10-16-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
Hi all, a friend of mine is putting a set of lights on his tower.(04' Response LXI) Possibly a 4 or 6 light set up.
Has anyone boarded at night with lights? how good are they? what set up did you have?
any response would be great.
Cheers
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-16-2004, 9:14 PM Reply   
They are great for Mosquitoes.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-17-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
imo tower lights do not provide enough light for night riding. It could be argued that they extend the last run of the night, but not by much. Im not aware of any tower lights that provide great light when riding period. On the flip side I would get them again. I often times cruise at night on the K-Zoo river in Saugetuck, MI in bouy marked waters. I don't run the lights all the time but you can flip them on every now and then to located the next channel bouy marker. It worked well. Also provides good light inside the boat for clean up etc. Looks good imo on the tower as well. Hope this helps!!

CDM
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-17-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
Great for wakesurfing at night.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
Did some night riding with my rig and they worked great! I have 3 forward and 5 rear facing. It was totally pitch black and they lit up the white water of the wake beautifully. The only thing you could see was the wash of the wake and the lights in front of you, which were suprisingly not blinding, otherwise it was like boarding in a complete void. I swear I felt like I was going to hit a tree even though we were in the middle of the lake. Now as far as for driving, they are totally useless. I would turn on the rear light and kill the fronts while driving at speed, then flip the fronts on when turning around at idle to pick up the rider. The forward facing lights light up the interior so much that you absolutely loose any night vision that you might have had.

FYI, we were also driving by GPS in an completely open area that we had scoped out that day and set a course with the GPS. Our rider also had a flashlight to shine back at the boat, otherwise we would have never found him!

Now for the few times that I have actually boarded at night, it would not be worth the money, but I totally agree with CDM regarding their usefulness at night. They have saved me several times. If you are just a weekend warrior that does day trips to the lake, spend your money on something else. If you do a lot of camping trips or on the Delta at night, they are one of the accessories that I personally would not do without.
Old    jasrocks            10-17-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses, definately food for thought
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-18-2004, 5:59 AM Reply   
In Texas it is illegal to wakeboard/waterski/wakesurf/wakeskate after dusk. I am guessing many other states are the same. So, given that, are the tower lights useful other than as CDM has indicated???
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-18-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
When I worked in Martinique we went full moon barefooting a couple times. Turn off all the lights let your eyes adjust and you would be surprised how well you can see. This was a place where I had been driving 6 hours per day (everyday) for over 3 months so I knew every obstacle. Tower lights are good for lighting up the boat/dock afterdark for cleanup or partying, but not useful for boarding/boating.
Old    jasrocks            10-18-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
I really thought they would light up the whole scene really well. Was hoping to get in some late boarding. I will post some pics in the future of the boat all lit up.Cheers all.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-18-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
We ride at night and have had great luck. We do not use any forward facing lights when boarding. The forward facing lights generate too much glare. The Titan lights are great for night riding. When you rig the lights install two switches. One to control the rear lights and one for the forward facing lights. The forward facing lights are nice for docking/trailering. For picking up riders a hand held spot works best. Be careful though--night wakeboarding/boating is one of those Darwinian kind of events...
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-18-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
One of my dad's friends has tower lights, and i asked him if they ever used them, he said they used them at powell a couple times, one when driving back late a night, and looking for the kids who got lost on the waverunners. I dont think i could justify the cost.