Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-13-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
So we finally got a bimini made for my boat, pics to come. The guy who made it did a great job and he said it would be low enough to allow tower speakers, I just measured and it has approx 6-7" of clearance. Any suggestions of speakers that would fit in that area. I know I can always flip the speakers up and put them on top of the tower, but this is a last resort.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-13-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
anyone know how low the bullet HLCD 650 hang, they look like the best deal for HLCD speakers. Anyone know anything about these??? I cannot afford wetsounds and these seem like a compromise.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
Right at about 7" of hang height. They are in no way a compromise they're just being sold at 40% off right now thats why the low price. I actually prefer the sound of them to Wetsounds as they have more midbass.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Our tower speakers hang right at 8".... the speaker alone is 7" in diameter.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-13-2009, 11:16 PM Reply   
would 125 to each be sufficient to power them. I have the infinity amp from their tower speaker package and would like to use it.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2009, 6:04 AM Reply   
Plenty
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Their 6.5"'s and have less than or equal to a 1/2" clamp.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-14-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
i know these speakers work well for wakeboarding because they are more directional, but how do they sound wakesurfing, say 10-15 feet behind the boat. Granted I know you would turn them down so you are not def, unless you are into that, but I would hate to buy these speakers and not hear them wakesurfing. Also, how loud are they in the boat??
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-14-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
I have 4 Hollowpoint 770s. We use ours for surfing boarding etc. They sound great in and out of the boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
I have the same set up and concur completely they sound great surfing, chilling and a 1000 yards behind the boat!!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
I've got the Hollowpoints as well and love them. I think they are as good or better than any other HLCD speaker out there. I'm only running a JL HD 600/4 to my two pair and they crank.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on September 15, 2009)
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-15-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
I just put 2 7.7 bullet HLCD's on my boat. A "true" 500 watt amp running them and they freaking scream. You could actually go deaf if they were cranked up and you were just surfing.

They sound great at Wakeboard distance.

They actually have great off-axis volume IMO. With just the 2, I can hear them from way outside the wake to when I am right behind the boat.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-15-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
Clotus,

HLCDs aren't necessarily any more directional than conventional speakers. The polar pattern of sound, particularly at higher frequencies, narrows as the distance increases with all speakers. The difference is that HLCDs can generate the extra energy to project at wakeboarding range with a high level of intelligibility. In contrast, the output of conventional speakers is dissipated quickly, especially in the upper frequencies.

Your volume and tone controls are all that's needed to adjust the HollowPoints for varying distances.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-16-2009, 1:58 AM Reply   
Maybe the nvs speakers which go up around the bar will work
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Regarding the NVS, thats an awesome design but they use 10" speakers so even with the reduced hang height they're at 8.6" which sounds like to much.
Old    murphy8166            09-16-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
Clotus, if you are going to go with HLCD, the deal on Bullets is to good to pass up. If you are interested in bullets...David at Earmark is the guy to talk to.

David, what about the off axis bullet's you did on the nautique? Would that allow Clotus to use some HLCD's and help out with clearance issues?

Upload
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-16-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Wow, Murphy that's a great idea if it fits Clotus' tower! Via one method or another I think you've got the solution.

Clotus, what Murphy is saying is to mount the speaker to the front/rear tube and slightly rotate the collar to consume some of the hang height. If the tube has flat surfaces you could bolt through and direct mount without the use of a collar and reduce the hang height to less than 7-inches. With a round aluminum sleeve inserted from the top you could torque the bolts as much as you want without compressing the tower tube.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-16-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
So david let me see if I understand this correctly, I could bolt the speaker directly to the tower and just use the top half of the mounting collar? Also, thanks for all the help guys!!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
I think thats a great idea. So Clotus you use the normal collar but just rotate say 30 degrees out, then mount the speaker. This will suck the speaker up a little more as it would be down and out as opposed to just straight down. Your tower would have to have cross tubes running fore to aft though.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-16-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Clotus,

The pod has a flat flange so if you direct mount it you won't use a collar at all.

Whether you use a collar or direct mount will be determined by whether the front/rear overhead cross tubes are round or more of a flat bar.

A close-up photo of this section of your tower will determine if one of these methods will work and which option is best. At that time I can give you a detailed illustration.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-18-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
Well we are going to work on the boat this sat, running the wire, ect. We are also going to try and lower the bimini a lil without effecting the function as this could solve all my problems. Still working on the wifey regarding the speakers. Thanks for all the help and I will post my results.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, believe me I know.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-20-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
so true!!!!