Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-05-2004, 9:58 AM Reply   
Has anyone replaced their vinyl in their boat themselves? If so was it hard, and was it Cheaper than having it done at a shop?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
It's only cheaper doing it your self if you have lots of time
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-05-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
I have the time and the help. I would like to do it myself, if for no other reason than to save $$.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-05-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
I have done my own on several boats. It can be a lot cheaper, especially if you prefer the really expensive materials.

It is also a lot of work, and if you don't have a sewing maching that can handle it you might not be very sucessful. I happened to have a $1500 commercial grade "walking foot" sewing machine that might be a bit overkill but it sure made things easier.

If your old upholstery is still in good enough shape to serve as a pattern you will be a lot better off. Before you start taking anything apart, get a camera and take LOTs of pictures of the seats, from every possible angle. It will sure help when you are trying to put the pieces back together.

The biggest problem I had was estimating the amount of stretch. If all the material is the same it isn't much of a problem, but if you use a pleated material you will discover that it doesn't behave the same as the non pleated. You cut two pieces out that need to be sewn together, and when you cut them they were the same size but as you sew them together the pleated stuff stretches and by the time you get to the other end of the seam you have a couple extra inches of the pleated material!

Be sure to use a high quality dacron thread that has UV resistance. The last thing you want is the stitching to rot out on you after a season or two. Use either stainless or Monel staples and brass tacks so that they don't rust.

Expect the project to take about 4 times longer than your best estimate.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-05-2004, 9:10 PM Reply   
I here by offer the handy man award to ROD! LOL You have some great posts :-)
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-06-2004, 6:24 AM Reply   
Thank you Rod! if you have any pics, I would like to see. Hope you dont mind but I might be emailing you in a few months for more advice.
Old    leggester            10-06-2004, 6:27 AM Reply   
Rod, I get to get a walker this year.

Have you looked at an Archery Supply store for Bow Serving Thread? May be a good alternative to Dacron. I'm thinking about checking it out.