Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    pdmoyes            05-17-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm looking to get a new to us boat for the family and would like everyone's opinion on what I should be looking for. The boat will probably used for 25% wakeboarding, 15% sking, 35% tubing (my kids are still pretty young), and 25% cruising the lake. I don't have too many friends here so I'm thinking I'll never have more than 10 people in the boat. The lake I'll be riding on is fairly busy so a good rough riding boat will be a factor. I'd like to stay under $38000.

So what do you think? V-drive or DD? Any brands I should stay away from? I've been looking at and have really liked the Moomba boats, they seem like a great value.

any info would be appreciated
Old    damnation            05-17-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
From your expected use, I would look for a DD. They are easier to work on, cost less, burn less fuel, and are typically easier to drive. The V-drives are typically set up for people who want the biggest wake possible and will be mostly wakeboarding. You could also consider a good runabout (IO) which tends to cut the cost way down.

Before buying my Wakesetter VLX I had a 2002 Sunsetter. That boat was awesome! The fit and finish was incredible and it handled better than any other boat I've ever driven. I could get a great wake when I weighted it down and it had an unbelievable slalom wake (or lack of a wake I should say). I would highly recommend that boat and you can get one for WAY under what you are looking to spend.

The Moombas are nice boats too. I don't think their attention to detail is up there with Malibu, CC, and Mastercraft though. Still a good boat and a good value.
Old    handyman            05-17-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   
I have a friend that recently purchased a Mastercraft. His use for the boat is very similar to yours. He loves the boat for wakeboarding but is very unhappy with comfort when just out cruising. He says that he would look for a quality runabout in his next boat. I have an I/O and love it.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
I am a Gekko dealer - so I am biased.

I would recommed the Gekko Revo 6.7. It is in your budget, seats 11, and handles the rough water very well. There is a review in the May issue of Power Boat Magazine. It gives a decent overview of the boat.

rider@boarditup.com
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
The only I way I will ever go to an I/O is when I am finished with water sports, and just want to be out on the water. Water sports are best served by the inboard market.
Old    pdmoyes            05-17-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
I don't think I'm interested in the I/O market at all. I knew too many people that were throwing many into the outdrives constantly.

What is the fuel consumption of a DD? What about an I/O?
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-17-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
I'd look at an '03-'04 Moomba Mobius LSV or Sanger V210. For me, I would only consider a V-drive in this price range. I've seen the move away from DD boats. As a result I'd be uncomfortable buying a DD because (I believe) the appeal is limited.

My $0.02.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-17-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
get the v-drive for room, sounds like you'll need it. I had Moomba as first boat and loved it 500 hrs never problem.....but now I have VLX and the difference is huge in overall construction. If you wanna save some bucks go Moomba.......If you gonna keep boat for 5 years + go VLX
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
Paul im not sure what your talking about with the throwing money part?? Ive got around 450 hours on an I/O and have had no problems with the alpha drive?? As far as cruising around and rough water i dont think you even want to consider a d drive. My buddy got rid of a d for his current v (supra ssv) which handles the rough alot better and has way more room then the old d but i feel still doesnt handle the rough as well as my I/O. Hell you cant even test drive a properly equipped I/O since there are only a handful out there that people took the time and money to set up just like the old ski boats used to be required to do before there were v drives.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-17-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
Paul, for the money, you should really consider an I/O. I used to have one and if you keep it well maintained- like any boat- you won't be dumping money into the outdrive. Also- if your kids are young the ride is much more forgiving, does a great job with tubing, beginner skiing and boarding. Look for a 2 year old I/O so all of the depreciation is out of the boat and you'll and up sellingit for what you paid for it in a few years when your kids are old enough to appreciate a performance wakeboard boat or Ski boat. Look for a good name like Wellcraft, Cobalt, four winns, etc. If you're absolutely SET on having a performance boat, buy the v-drive- you'll be very happy- but the gas consumption SUCKS.
Old    ilovetrains            05-18-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
Seriously - an I/O is going to give you lotsmore value if you do a lot of cruising or tubing. You can get a new Rinker RK1 with wakeboard tower out the door for just over 30K. That would be a great family boat formany years.
Old    merty            05-18-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
I would definelty test drive the Gekko revo 6.7. I don't own one, but I've skied and Wakeboarded behind one and was amazed at how flat the slalom wake were for a v-drive. It was fun to drive and cruise around in. I used to own an I/O and I would never fo back. I would also check out Sanger as they have a very nice cruising ride. You won't have to spend 50 grand either.
Old    aircox            05-18-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
GEKKO, did we get the 2 people in the world who loves Gekko? Sounds like a salesman..... Go with a deep boat like the Supra Launch or Maristar. You want safty for the kids...
Old    merty            05-19-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
No Salesman, just an unbiased opinion. I've skied behind almost every boat manufacture. I did mention Sanger also. It was just a statement based on his needs. The Supra and Maristar have pretty hard slalom wakes. Onother boat might be the Malibu sunsetter 21 XTI. I don't know if it is in his price range.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-19-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
We recently ordered a new '04 Malibu DD Wakesetter. Ordered with the 340 HP Monsoon, wedge, MLS mid ship ballast tank, tower, heater, cover, trailer, and other misc. goodies for around 33K. Great all around boat that seats 10 people, looks and performs fantastic. Plus the dealer is very reputable and easy to work with.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-19-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
i would say stay away from Sanger...Sangers are too shallow on the side walls and i dont think the fit and finish are as nice as others...although i have heard they are great for wakeboarding but not just cruising and such...
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2004, 9:28 PM Reply   
Jfk, ever been in a Sanger?

B-
Old     (bmblbee)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2004, 5:08 AM Reply   
I can't believe no one has suggested you check out a Supreme yet. They are priced right and the fit & finish are close to top of the line boats. Our 2002 V Pro Sky V drive has been a great family boat and handles rough water very well. Skiing is a bit of a challenge at lower speeds but if you get it on plane (30+ MPH) a good skier will be able to have fun.
Old    leggester            05-20-2004, 6:20 AM Reply   
Boy, I've had I/Os for around 20 years and never put any money into out drives.
Old    merty            05-20-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
bmblbee. I agree any fineline products are good.
leggester ever had a pull behind a towsports boat?
Old    steveb7            05-20-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
It is worth it to get the v drive if possible in my oppinion. Malibu Sunscape 21 is the best v drive ski wake I've seen.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-20-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
the V Drive is the best, any inboard wil produce a better wake but a I/O will handle rougher water better
Old    blr            05-20-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
I would agree with bt lowe except for one boat that you absolutley must check out. Go take a look at ride behind and a test drive of the tige 22IR. you will not be dissapointed.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-20-2004, 5:25 PM Reply   
Sorry to disappoint you Matt but your wrong. My boat unweighted has a better wake then my buddies old boat weighted (moomba outback i think) old style hull but you did say ANY?? Alot of the older inboards were pretty light compared to my boat without any weight so youll have to add weight just to get to my stock weight then if i fill my sacks youll be sinking your boat to try to catch up.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-20-2004, 6:38 PM Reply   
sorry BOB, any newer than 02' inboard will produce a better wake!!
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
I currently own an I/O Bayliner and I/O make great family boats if you were looking to save some money definitly look at a 2 year old I/O that is already depreciated and you can get a very good awke out of them with some weight.

The main difference that you will find between an I/O wake and an inboard wake is that the I/O wake is softer, and you will have to play around with tyhe trim to get the wake clean (not too big a deal really

If you aren't keen on the I/O then do yourself a favour and look at a Sanger V210.
Yes they look low to the water but don't feel unsafe at all once your in one.
they handle like a direct drive
and despite an earlier comment the fit & finnish and attention to detail is very very good. these boats are built by hand from the ground up.
The wake is good unweighted for wakeboarding and it can get really big when you add weight if you want it to.
I am not sure about the slalom wake but the hull is a skihull so it should be very good at skiing speeds 32-34mph.
There is plenty of storage and plenty of seating.
They also handle rough water very well although no Inboard will handle the rough stuff as well as an I/O IMHO (i have trimmed the nose jumped from wave to wave about 2 1/2 ft big in an I/O in our harbour in rough chop I wouldn't try that in an inboard)
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-21-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
First Matt you said ANY inboard, now your saying any 02' or newer?? Second, at 17 i find it hard to believe you have ridden behind every I/O wake out there. They are just as different from each other as wakeboard specific boat wakes are.
Old    davelina            05-30-2004, 10:38 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 MB Sports B-52 DD for Sale. I just bought a new 04 B52 V-drive. My boys are getting older and all we do is wakeboard. The older boat we have was awesome for skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing. 2 buttons adds 1600lbs of ballast and you can go from tubing/skiing wake to a great rampy wakeboard wake that is very friendly. 130 hors on the boat and have never had a problem. 5.7 ltr, 350 hp motor, so cruising is great...goes about 45. Tons of storage....can store 4-5 boards in the trunk plus all of our ropes, vests and misc stuff. email me if you have any other questions.
Old    ilovetrains            06-01-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
Paul,

Going back to your post,notsure why you believe an I/O is going to require more maintenance. I have never put money into mine other other then ripping thewhole damn thing off on a submerged railroad bridge. It would have torn hell out of a DD or v-drive anyway as it hit the hull first.