Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    nogomofo            05-15-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
Allright I am and idiot but a pretty cool one at that. I am in the market for a boat and have narrowed it down to and 04 Calabria or a Supra Launch 03. Anyone out there got some good pros and cons to this? Thanks for the help
Old    nogomofo            05-15-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
Let me specify it is a Pro Air V vs the Supra Launch. I know the Pro Air is a V-drive which is alot roomier than the launch. The refinement on the supra controls etc seems a little bit nicer though. The one thing I am concerned about is the Indamar engine versus the Mercruiser. Come on somebody has got to have and opinion out there. Help Me...Please
Old    nogomofo            05-15-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Correction-Cal Air V Vs. Supra Launch, Freddy VS. Jason Reduex
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
i like the calabria and have heard nothing but good things about it.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-15-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Indmar comes standard with a 3 year warranty and build motors specifically for inboard boats, ie Mastercraft, Malibu,Supra ,Moomba. Merc. comes with a 1 year warranty. Drive both boats, you will feel a difference. The Cal is roomier but the Launch is roomy as well for a direct drive. The Launch is deeper and will provide a better ride in rough waters if equipped with the Hydraulic wakeplate. I say go with the one you like best. Drive em and you will know.Also check out dealer support. Good luck
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2004, 12:37 AM Reply   
We are on our second Calabria. Had a VTS sold to move up to the Pro V. Love the boat. Lots of room and most storage of any boat. We can fit 2-3 big boards in each trunk. I believe you can get a 3 year warranty with MerCruiser. Great company, very personable. As always test drive both and go with a good dealer.
Old    tombugg            05-21-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
Calabria!!! easy choice..
Old    sean123            05-21-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
Maybe Calabria is the easy choice for you Tom, But Spra is the easy choice for me!
Old    sean123            05-21-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
oooppss... SUPRA :-)
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-21-2004, 7:31 AM Reply   
We got a 2003 Cal-Air in January and have been really happy with it. Everything is put together real well, and the boats are absolutley beautiful. Havent been in a Supra, so cant say any pros or cons about them, have heard good things though. I really love my Calabria though. Has good wake for both skiing and boarding.

DG
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
The Supra Launch can throw a wake that is very comparable to the Launch SSV. I have the Launch SSV and you can view my gallery to see how much air I can get off of the SSV.
http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/EditPictureGallery.aspx?username=mygreenmonster.co m&GalleryName=Wakeboarding&galleryid=6&picid=83&Pa geIndex=0&PicPageIndex=1#Pictures

A friend of mine had a Supra Launch Direct Drive and made an awesome video for his boat. Here is the link that can give you insight into a Supra Launch wake and features.
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=3029

I know nothing about the Calabria and recommend test driving and test boarding behind one.

Good luck
Old    chavezychavez            05-21-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
Buy the Calabria and get the extended warranty from Merc.

Simple as that.
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-21-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
The Calabria DOES NOT compare to the Supra! If you drive these two boats you will find that the wake on the Cal is not even in the same ballpark as the Supra.
Don't let a few Cal owners push you into a boat that you will not enjoy!!
Old    chavezychavez            05-21-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
Teddy, while I am sure the d-drive Launch throws a badass wake, it remains a d-drive, and we all know the advantages/disadvantages there.

What I don't get is if he is looking at Pro-V's and Supra's, why he doesn't look for a SSV instead of the launch...
Old    wake2end            05-21-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
Damnn yoyo, your friend's supra is awesome
Old    swpmwinc            05-21-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
Teddy- Have you seen our been behind a Cal-Air before? It seems that most people that I have talked to think the Cal-Air has a great wake. The wake is steep and tall when loaded and it is clean back to 85-90 feet. Could it be you have ownership googles?
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Ryan G,

Here is more video of the wake and air you can get behind my friend's ex-Supra Launch Direct Drive. I say ex because he sold it this winter in order to get a new boat just like mine, an 04 Gravity Games SSV with all the options.

This is one of my favorite home made videos he did:

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=3030&password=&sort=7&thecat=9 97
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       05-21-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
Hey Tom,

Hope you guys have another great season this year, Thanks for all you guys do for Wakeboarding.
Old    tombugg            05-21-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Alright,
I need to expand on my comment here. I will start off with saying that I can not, and will not say one bad thing about Skiers Choice or Supra. Supra SSV was our boat last year and we loved it. It was a GREAT boat. With that said, Pat was asking about an 03 launch (Direct Drive) and the Cal Air Pro-V. The Pro-V being a V drive has numerous advantages (I believe) and it is a year newer. Please don't take it that I was bashing Supra in any way. I guess I could have explained myself a little better. With that said we are Totally stoked with our new Pro-V.. Wake, fit and Finnish, room etc. etc. etc..

Rick,
Good to see you on here, and thank you for all you have done for us! Season is going real well so far.
Old    calair03            05-21-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
Show me just one supra without gel coat cracks! My buddy just got an 02 launch and I think it is a nice boat....but I could do without the spiderwebs at the tower mounts and on the transom.
Old    sean123            05-22-2004, 5:43 AM Reply   
calair03..

Come to texas and look at mine, 03 SSV 100 hours no gel cracks at all!

You asked to see it, so come see it.
Old    aircox            05-22-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
Calair03,have you have seen every Supra boat? My cousin just bought a 04 Gravity Games SSV 75hrs no stress cracks. Also my boarding bud, 02 Patriot Edition SSV on Lake Washington, 4 mornings a week we board ,oh yeah guess what no spiderwebs.Quit stirring the pot!!!!!!!!!
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-22-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
My family has a VERY USED (over 500hr) SSV and there is not any cracks!!!
I have a brand new 04' and don't worry about any cracks.
Hey Tim, If youare anywhere in the Southeast USA I hope you don't try to sell a Calabria. If you do...You better hope that someone will come from the West Coast to get it!
GOOD LUCK! I hope you like your choice no matter what it is. Your the one that needs to be happy!
Old    jayreese            05-22-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
Tim, without getting into the boat slamming thing, both boat companies have agreat reputation
for building top quality boats without the huge price tag. I happen to have a 04 pro-v and I can tell you that it is a awesome boat that throws an incredible wake even 80-90' out. the fit and finish is excellent and I think if you drive one you will buy one.