Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-12-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
Im looking at the 22i 21i or 20v, im looking for thoughts on them all (and dont say dont buy a tige). Any comment is welcome regarding wake, storage, comfort, or any other thing that was liked or disliked. Im just lookin for opinions from those who have experinced these boats. Its hard to really tell after just a few rides. Thanks
Old    mikep            05-12-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
22i has the most room and probably the best wake.
Old    thekuz            05-12-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have the 24V so anything else seems tiny and cramped. What are you looking for? An all-around boat? One to ski and wakeboard behind? How many people on the boat at one time? DD or V-drive?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Whatever you do, don't get a d-drive. I rode behind a 21v (an '00, I think) 2 weeks ago. The wake was sweet! It still had a bit of wash up top, but it's no where near as bad as the d-drives.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
What about the 22v? I have a 20v and it puts out a really nice wake and the boat drives and handles well. It's a little small if you generally have 6 or 7 people though. The 22v also puts out a great wake and has a little more room. Both the 20v and 22v put out an incredible wakesurfing wake, as does the 24v.

The direct drives are a better choice if you are a serious slalom skier, otherwise go with a v-drive.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Joe, once again, you are misinformed on the Tige wakes. The new direct drives (2003 and newer) have a new hull and there is no wash.

Greg, give us more info on what is most important to you on a boat and we can help more. I have been on all of these models quite a bit and all have their advantages.

Good info Bill.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
Once again? Sorry Brent...didn't mean to offend you. By the way, a couple of the guys that rode behind your boat said that it still had a bit of wash, but not nearly as much as older d-drives, and that the wake "shape was weird."

OK, so let me correct myself. Don't get ANY pre-2003 Tige' d-drive.

There, how's that?
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
No offense taken Joe. As I have said to you on multiple Tige posts, it is not good to give someone advice on buying a boat when you don't have all the facts. Guys on hear are looking for accurate facts, not hearsay. I am just making sure he has accurate information since what you said is completely false, assuming he is looking for a new boat.

Since you don't own a boat, I guess you don't know how frustrating it can be to process all of this false information. Obviously you have taken offense since you want to elevate this into a pissing match.

Don't know how a few guys rode behind my boat, I sold it a year ago. But thanks for going out of your way make insulting comments about my boat. You sure didn't make insulting comments about it when you were getting pulled behind it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
I never rode behind your 22v. That's what I was referring to.

As for people lookin' for facts, you're absolutely right...which is why I said what I said...which is based on experience behind a few Tige's, not just your old d-drive.

And no, I wasn't offended, nor am I getting into a pissing match, but in case you missed it, I said the v-drive wake was sweet!
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Ah, well in that case, thanks for referring the insulting remarks on my new boat. I feel so much better now. I feel like I am back in high school now. Care to tell me their names so I can make sure they never get another ride behind the boat?

I am not even going to get into it with you on my 22V. There is no wash behind it.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
That's cool...I'm just tellin' you what they said.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
If I were in the market. it would be the 22v. Love the wakes behind the V. The 20 V has the same wakes, I just need a little more space than it offers, although not as much as the 24v. I currently have a 21v and no plans to get rid of it, it has been a great boat. If I ever do, 22v all the way.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Greg I have a 2003 22I and love it. I would go for it over a 20V or even a 21I. Though both of those are sweet boats too. Might as well go for the extra room, the 22I has plenty of storage and the seating configuration is second to none in my opinion. Yes get a 03 or newer one.

Keep in mind you will have to weight the 22I more than the 21I or 20V. But once you get it weighted right, the wakes are pretty similar, "I believe they all have the same 102 inch beam". So again if budget is not a problem go with the larger of the three.

If you were considering the 22V then there would be a lot of other things to consider. But just keeping those three choices in mind, the 22I will make you happy!!
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Joe: Who said it? Keith don't get the 22V. The wakes are all washy and "weird."
Old    mikep            05-12-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
Ya, those Tige' wakes are weak dude. Check out all the trouble Lyman is having with this 22V wake. I heard he hates his Tige' as does Ruck, Watkins, Tino and Weinacker. Weak boats! ;-) I mean Umali's better than Lyman, but even he would probably have trouble behind a Tige'!

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
Does Tige' still make the 21v? The one I rode behind had an unusual weight configuration...

I don't know where TAPS was set at...

1 sac on each side of the motor (filled a 1/3 of the way, if that)
1 full size sac on the floor
1 full size sac in the ski locker
1 full size sac in the bow

The wake was really nice. Though it had a bit of wash up top, it was solid nonetheless, as well as big and steep. I had a really good time behind the 21v!

I was talkin' to a guy at the Canyon Lake tourney. He said you really have to weigh the d-drives down with at least 2500lbs, for it to put out a good wake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
Unwad your panties please!
Old    mikep            05-12-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
No, 21V stopped in '02. They now make 20V, 21i, 22i, 22V, and 24V. The wash is from the spray pockets that have been removed in the all the new Tige's.

I rode behind a 2002 21i (no spray pockets) with a little under 2000 pounds and it was as good as any other boat I've ridden behind. The only two boats I know that can have an amazing wakes without 2000 pounds is the Super Air and the new 24V. Still, you need 1000-1500 pounds in those boats for the ultimate wake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Mike, that's a sick ass pic in your profile! Where was it taken, Shasta?

So, which model now has a wake like the old 21v?

(Message edited by dakid on May 12, 2004)
Old    mikep            05-12-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
Thanks, Ya it's Shasta. We took pics from the houseboat.

I don't believe any of the new Tige's have spray pockets anymore. The only one that might could be the 20ci, but that's a ski boat. So, I guess none of the new boats are like the 21V wake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
What I meant by "like it" is that the wake was big, steep and solid. I heard the 22v was rampy. Is that right?

Stickin' your 3s consistently now? Have you tried 5s? I haven't tried any spins lately, but the guy w/ the Tige' we rode with was spinning all day...kinda pumped me up to start tryin' spins again.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-12-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Boat rules:
1. Don't give a driver crap.
(2)DON'T talk about his boat or wake.

On the tige when you weight them down, you sometimes have to play with the taps in order to get the best performance. Also move you sacs, lead or whatever else you use, around the boat to find where the wake is at its best.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of Keith Lyman landing a trick behind his 04 24v - 4,700# of ballast (that's what Keith told me, I didn't weight it myself!) at 23.2mph, TAPS at 1, riding at 95'. Yep, waaay back there...and no, I didn't photoshop it other than cropping and resizing it.

Keith Lyman 24v wake
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-12-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
Yes, Tige stopped making the 21V (what I have). The 21i has an identical hull as the 21V except for the 2003 and newer have eliminated the spray pockets. In theory, the VD and DD should have identical wakes if you were to weight them to compensate for differing engine placement. I would go for the 22i if I were you. It would have the same hull as the 22V, so with a little ballast, you should have the same wake, just a few thousand dollars less, and with a different seating arrangement. Mr. French seems to love his.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
The 22V is steep. Much steeper than a VLX, still steeper with a wedge and a bit more meaty, but not quite as steep as a Nauti. Right in the middle of those 2.
Old    dezy            05-12-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
We have a 2003 20v that we just got this winter and a couple of weeks ago we put 500# in the front center and 500# on the floor in front of the rear seat (simply because we dont have an odd number of sacks yet) and it was a ticket to fly. The real plus of the 20V is the versatility. This boat makes a real nice slalom wake, if your into multiple water sports. The beam on the 20V is in fact 96" where as the 22 is 102"
Old    joe61980            05-12-2004, 8:09 PM Reply   
I am on my second 20v which is a great boat for water skiing and wakeboarding. I had a 21v before which the 2 foot difference is all in the passenger area and is 6 inches wider. Both have an excellent wake for wakeboarding. If you need the extra passenger room and do not ski, I would buy the 22v.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-12-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
The only two boats I know that can have an amazing wakes without 2000 pounds is the Super Air and the new 24V.

I agree with Porter on the 24V wake. Here is a shot of the wake with only myself driving and three other passengers. I was impressed with the size being that their was no weight in it.
24V unweighted wake
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
At the NZ nats we had a 20V pulling the intermediate division. It was set up with 2200 pounds of lead in the front, 7 people & sacs either side of the motor, not sure how big the sacs were. The wake was very nice, super solid and clean. Wasn't the biggest wake I've ridden but wasn't far away. The boat was super bow down and took quite a bit of water over the front when stopping, and took a bit to plane but it was worth it once it was going. What impressed me the most was the sweet shape & firm lip, very very nice.
Old    bigd            05-13-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
22i. The coolest!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       05-13-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Right now I weigh my 22I with 350 in each back locker and 600 in the bow walkway "total of 1300". It throws a very nice wake. A couple of weeks back we had a very full crew "more weight" and the wake was even better. So I am looking at adding some more weight. Probably bring it up to 2000 pounds.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
Jonathan, I don't know how far you tow, but have you thought about getting some lead?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       05-13-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
Yeah, I have and am. I only tow about a mile. I found a place in HB to pick it up at, 40# bricks, a few months back they sold them for 40 cents a pound. But I heard lead went up in price so who knows now. I just havn't had the time to head down there and pick it up. I definitely want to get rid of the sac in the bow. Thanks for the reminder, I might give them a call today.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
Yeah, Tige' is sweet - all the V-models throw sick wakes, clean and lippy if you load it right. The 22i also throws a nice wake, just not as comfortable inside.

My 2003 22v is still for sale... our 2004 22v is done and ready to be picked up, we just have to get this one sold. HELP PLEASE!!!
Old    mikep            05-13-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
Ya Pierce, the 24V is sick. We had three people and an extra 1000 pounds of weight a few weeks ago in Orlando and the wake was absolutely huge and solid with great pop. Pretty much every Tige' rider this year has chosen to go with the 24V. The wake on that boat with 1000 pounds was as good as any other boat I've ridden behind with much more weight.

Joe, the 22V wake is pretty steep. It's not quite as steep as the Super Air, but close. Of course I run over 2000 pounds in mine (1000 in the back) so that could play into it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
Porter, you guys need to make a vid of your riding that shows the wake, too, for curious people (like me) and for those looking to get one.

I spoke to Hahn this morning. He said Lyman loads his 24v w/ 4000lbs! That's insane!
Old    mikep            05-13-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Bag the vid and just come out riding with us. I know Brent hates you on Wakeworld, but you are a nice enough guy outside the web! :-)

Seriously, the best way to experience to purest wake on the market ;-) is to ride behind it! Did you stop smoking yet, so you can take longer than a two minute ride?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
Brent hates me in & out of the web!

I did quit smoking, but started up again. But my runs were short in Seattle 'cause the water was too damn cold!

When we make a trip up there this summer, we'll hook up!
Old    xtigeman            05-13-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
Hahaha, Joe is hanging in there better than me. I ought to leave my X-Star to you in my will. At my rate and especially with my new car, it might not take too long to get it.
Old    mikep            05-17-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
Hey Joe. We had 2500 in sacks and three people in the boat this weekend and the wake was ridiculous. I'll dial it in all nice for you when you come up so you can become a Tige'-believer!

I didn't know you moved back down to California. You'd better come up in August for some warm water. Right now it's stil only about 62.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2004, 9:58 AM Reply   
Porter,

Believe it or not, I AM a Tige'-believer! V-drives, anyway.

Yeah, moved back down in Feb. I might be back up before August. I don't mind 62 deg water...it's the low 40's I have a problem with!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
My wake isn't bad considering the spray pockets... going to be experimenting with more weight but with the sac and loaded with people it is pretty sweet... for what I do anyway...
3 ppl + 550 in the walkway... thats at 70 feet at 22-23, it sort of diminishes back at 75 but with more weight and people we ride 75...not bad for an old DD tige??
tige wake.. 2100i