Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
Do you know how often you need to add more brake fluid? Is there special brake fluid for trailers or is it all the same?
Old    bocephus            07-11-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
I don't know what kind of fluid you trailer takes but they are definitely not all the same! Don't mix brake fluids!
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-11-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
Check the specifications for your trailer. There are a few different kinds. There should be a cap on your master cylinder. My trailer had a plastic cover on the tounge that once removed you can see the cap for the master cylinder. Pop the cap and see if it's full. If the trailer is old and the fluid is dirty you may consider changing it. It'S pretty easy to do.
Board More/ Work Less!
j$
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
My trailer is about 1 1/2 years old. I will look at my trailer manual for the type of fluid it takes. Thanks. And yes, I have a cap on my tongue where if removed I can see the fluid. I half full okay or always better to be 3/4 plus full?
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-11-2006, 10:10 PM Reply   
don't overfill. usually fill up to where the fluid level is just below where the underside of the cap will end. we can usually tell when it's time to check/refill when there is a big lag/clunk/slack from truck to trailer on start ups after being stopped. (we learned the hard way by not checking for a month or so after the "clunk" began.)
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-11-2006, 11:47 PM Reply   
Generic DOT3 or DOT4 fluid from the parts store should be fine. Bocephus is right though, you shouldnt mix different types. Since yours is so new, id be willing to bet its got DOT4 fluid in it. I'd recommend completely flushing the brake system at least every 2 years, perhaps even every season. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. Left in there, that water will eventually rust through your lines as well as foul up the pistons in both your actuator master cylinder and the cylinders in the calipers.

A GREAT brake fluid is Castrol LMA (low moisture absorbtion formula) if you can find it. I gave up looking and just ordered it online b/c I HAVE to use it on my land rover defender.

DKJ
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-12-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Can I flush it myself or is this something my boat shop takes care of?
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
It really depends on how much they're gonna charge you. I can be a PITA b/c you have to repeatedly pump the master cylinder to push the new fluid all the way through the lines to the wheel cylinders to get the old stuff out. If you can find someone to do it for $100 or less, let them deal with it.