Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
do knee braces help prevent injuries like ankle braces do or do they just help once uve got an injury?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-04-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
the jury is still out on that one.

google is your friend.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
thane is right. you'll find varying opinions on this one. i have a CTi2 that i have been using since my knee surgery last april and i plan on using it for a long time on the water.
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       02-04-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
David:

It's like motocross, We always get knee braces to help prevent injuries! Your knee is worth it! Trust me!!!!!
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-05-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I don't know for sure, but I do know if I don't wear mine my knee hurts like hell a lot faster than if I do.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-05-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
i think it is mostly for when u have injuries but it can also prevent injuries. i have one right now and it helps a ton i feel like normal but now the knee i use the knee brace for doesnt hurt too bad any more but my other knee kills me.
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
How much do knee braces cost, my left knee kills me ever since I used to kneeboard every day
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-06-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
MX guys have been using knee braces as a preventative measure for years (Like Gene said)

I recently had to go through alot of knee problems and am now supporting a pair of asterisk knee braces which I would suggest to anyone. They're great and well priced.

But nothing will ever beat strong leg muscles.

(Message edited by kristian on February 06, 2007)
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-06-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
You are sixteen. Unless you have had an operation and your doctor recomends them, spend your money on better things. Enjoy your healthy knees. I have a history of knee problems and still don't wear braces. Best brace you can get will cost you $45 for membership at your local gym.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-06-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
This link goes to a medical article on the uses of knee braces to treat and prevent injures. It says that objective evidence doesn't support use for prevention. Most college football teams require linemen to wear braces to prevent injuries. If you do a google search on knee braces you will find numerous on-line sources for don-joy and other braces.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000115/411.html
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-06-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
Hey George, how's Philip? I wear CTi2 because I full ACL replacement and my miniscus has had it, and know my ACL is fully blown again I wear the brace for extra support. cti is a great brace but if you don't need it you just work on leg strenthing, good luck.. This is Larry
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
If your knee is going to blow, its going to do so with or without a brace. They can help, but they aren't 100%.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-06-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Hey Brandon, see ya in a day or so,is it warm?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
I have the DonJoy Defiance (or defender). It's a custom made carbon fiber brace. I feel like my knee is made of steel when wearing it. It's amazing and doesn't get in the way. Cost me like $900.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-06-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
how much are average kneebraces. 900 is a little too much for me.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-06-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
If you, notice, more than half of the pro riders you see in videos have knee braces. Unless you are very lucky, or if you just aren't pushing it, you will eventually find yourself needing a brace. No worries though, mine doesn't hurt my riding, it only helps! I have bone to bone conatact on the outer part of my knee and the brace alieviates the pressure, which removes the pain. W.o mine I could not snowboard or wakeboard. With it I am doing fine.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-06-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Larry, Phillip is taking the winter off following a bone graft of the scaphoid (spelling?) in his wrist. Hoping to start riding again in March.

Ben, there are many levels of braces the link below will show some of the levels.

http://jointhealing.com/pages/productpages/knee_braces.html
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-06-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
my cti2 was $1700....insurance covered most of it.
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       02-06-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
You can get asterisk knee braces, or EVS Web knee braces (carbon Fiber) for about 550.00 a pair! Or you can buy them in seperates!

But they are right, when your knee blows, it just blows, but the knee braces really help them out when it comes to landing wrong and blowing them!!! Which is the most common way people blow them out! By landing wrong or twisted or just did something out of the norm! Its worth the money to save your Knees!!!!!!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
On this topic, does anyone know of a CTI certified fitter in the bay area? I am planning on getting this brace from my doc, and would like specifics regarding where to go, who has had good success etc.

FWIW I think there are certain situations where a brace DOES prevent a torn ACL, like locked out knees. A brace with a 10% flexion would generally not allow a knee to become locked out resulting in a "guilatined acl" which is somewhat common in our sport from what I am told.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
ACL injuries occur not just from a "locked out" position. Many occur from an anterolateral rotation... twisting motion. No brace can stop that motion.
An orthotist can take the measurements for any custom brace company as long as they have the protocol.

(Message edited by phantom5815 on February 06, 2007)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
Phantom, are you referring to the twisting when the leg is straight, bent or both?
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-06-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
CTI2 is what i am getting
will be here on thursday
i paid 316.00 after insurrance
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-06-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
think abou this, I had a stop at 20 degrees in my cti2 before I had my surgery, and I was riding (doctor's orders) and still hyper-extended it. keep in mind that this is a custom fit brace.