Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-03-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
2004 X-2 MCX,,,They boys ( 8 & 9 have been dying to go fishing..So I changed the impeller.. Hooked the hoses back up from winterizing..checked everything over... etc.. put on the prop I had reworked by acme back on the boat and went to the lake to test it out (two of the blades the cup didn't look like the others..so i wanted to see if it would vibrate so I could send it back before the season really got started..) Off to the lake we go... cranked right up.. opened the hatch.. just a few drops of water.. nothing major.. everything looked good.. So down the lake we went..(prop did have a little vibration but not bad.. was going to send back anyway..) about a mile or two up the lake I slowed down to check the holeshot of the prop.. noticed water shooting out the side.. thought the boys had messed with the ballast pump switches.. they weren't on.. I know for damn sure I had the plugs in but spun the cover off the floor access and out pours water... ran to the back of the boat and lifted the hatch. Low and behold the water is half way up the engine.. Turned around and gunned it back towards the ramp... Buy the time I got it back it was porpoising bad.. loosing speed and getting slower and slower as we went.. beached it beside the ramp and ran to get the trailer... pushed it back out into the water and the rear was headed towards the bank.. fired it up to stop it and bam...hit a damn rock with the prop..bent the tips of two blades a little bit..but I still had my hand on the key and shut it down. so much for sending that one back huh.. boat started drifting towards the back corner of the trailer.. So I pushed off of the guide pole and be damned I it didn't catch the back corner on the trailer, making two gouges in the gel coat about an inch long each and 1/4 deep on the back of the boat. Finally got the boat on the trailer and pulled the plugs. Turns out the J hose from the water pump up to the thermostat housing split about 4 inches... Said screw it.. grabbed the boys poles and let them fish off of the boat ramp...they ended up catching 16 trout.. two of which were IN long and 10" girth... they had the time of our lives.. Oh the memories from that trip.

So this morning I was surveying the damage.. hose of course split.. have an extra inch of oil on the dipstick..looks like coffee with extra cream.. same for the trans.. Motor didn't overheat as far as I remember. no alarms went off. but I was kinda busy driving and worried about sinking.. I feel confident that the water didn't get past the bottom of the J hose because I could hear it spraying out of the split at the bottom.. Hose appears to have been in good shape. no obvious cracks or dryrot... strange that it blew. I added about a gallon of diesel through the oil fill milky in there too.. and PVC grommet and started draining the oil.. I plan on flushing some more through it once it stops draining. and then add a gallon of diesel to the oil pan and turn it over.. drain and repeat a couple of times then put oil back in.. run for a while till hot and drain it again..

SO ADD ANYTHING I NEED TO CHECK>> DO >>> ETC TO THE LIST... Thanks in advance..}