Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (mippo)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-06-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
My wife and I just took out our brand new boat for the first time yesterday. After 2 hours on the water I had an oil pressure of 0. I checked the oil level which was slightly lower than when I put the boat in the water, but not below the "add" line on dip stick. I added some oil to get it back to the previous level but the oil pressure of 0 persisted. I tried restarting the engine a few times but that didn't help. Anyone know if there is something small causing this or should I just take it back to the dealer? The boat is brand new and didn't do anything like this on our test run with the dealer.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-06-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
take it back to the dealer. its brand new. i bet the wire to the sending unit fell off.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Just FYI, my new 07 22 burned about 3.5 quarts of oil during the first 50 hours. After 50 hours it hasn't burned a drop.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
Until the rings seat you'll have some blow by and burn oil. I would definately take the boat in and have the problem checked before I used it again.
Old     (kyboatworks)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-07-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
More than likely either the wire came off the oil sending unit or the sender is not making a good ground connection. Common problem on those sending units.
Old     (mippo)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-07-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
thanks
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-12-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
just keep in mind for the oil level, when you drop the boat in the water, the oil level can change. When its sitting on the trailer it can read higher if its sitting at a certain angle, and then once in the water, the oil level could recede towards the back of the pan and give a different reading.

Also, when the oil pressure light comes on, do not turn the engine back on. Wether its the guage or not, you don't know. Checking the oil level wont tell you much because you could have full oil, but pump failure, which will cause the motor to go bye bye.

Just stuff to keep in mind, but yeah take it to the dealer. its brand new.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
If the oil pressure was actually low the first thing you would hear is the clattering of loose lifters. It sounds like a bunch of golf balls in a dryer. If you didn't hear that or any other odd knocking noises, you are probably fine, just a sender problem.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-13-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
not sure on supras but tige has two oil sensors. One for the gauge and one for the alarm. I have had the sender for the gauge stick but the alarm did not go off. with the engine running tap on the sender and usually it will unstick and start reading pressure again. Also as Psyclone said the engine will make a hell of a racket with no pressure. If you here any odd noises shut it down and get a tow. I work on heavy equipment and sensors go bad all the time but have never seen an engine oil pump fail in the 11 years I have been a mechanic.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
I agree with Graham, you are betting around $7000 dollars that it is your sending unit when if it isn't, you will be responisible for a new engine. Get it to the dealer and next time shut it down IMO. Warranty doesn't cover the damage when you run it with no oil pressure. Good luck