Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (saltrider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
hey guys i want to buy new bindings .. closed toe look really sweet ... but i hear it could be dangerous because your foot could slam forward in the front of the binding..
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-29-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
i would like to see one person who has actually had an injury due to their foot going forward and hitting the front of the binding. its very unlikely to happen.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-29-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
In contrast, I've jacked my foot up more than once by pushing through the front of open toe bindings. Pretty painful, especially getting it back out.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
i ride them and love them. I ride the shanes and my foot has never moved in them, never even come closed to slamming my toes. If some ones foot slams the front of the binding then their binding is way to big for them.
Old     (smithlsv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-29-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
closed toe def the way to go, imo. i dont think that i would ever go back to open toe. just bought a pair of 3ds and love them.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
why would you hurt your foot because it slammed forward? snowboarders land hard and you dont see them complaining about that. i think people are just afraid of change. i think closed toe are the future. there is so much that could be done
Old     (wawakeboarder5)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-29-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
i've had 06 murrays for more than a year and no problems what so ever. i've never seen any post saying they actually have hurt their foot. if you have i'd like to hear about it
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-29-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
I think its a preference. I prefer open toe. I dont mind closed toe.
The other day I ripped my overlay trying raley's where my foot went out the front. That was a first....(for me)
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 10:36 PM Reply   
Closed Toe is the shiznit I rode murrays 06 and they were sick, if you don't like closed toe than you probaly have never snowboarded with toe strap's either it's quicker response in the same, for more response of the wake, takes away from toe lift as snowboarding takes away from heel lift. It's not rocket science.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-29-2007, 10:46 PM Reply   
My DVS skate shoes are closed toe and I LOVE them.

Old     (saltrider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
ok so i think im going to go with a closed toe bindings .. but anyways here's an example of a kind of accident i was talking about.. reed the 2nd review
http://www.wakeworld.com/boots/getboot7.asp?ProductID=3156
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-30-2007, 4:48 AM Reply   
jose....read the review... would have to think that those bindings were to big for this individual. I can not imagine that happening. I am new to closed toe. I just bought the Ronix Cell's. Heat molded. I am thinking no way is my foot going to slide forward and back in these. I put the j bars in the heals at the dealer, and then we heated them up. Stuck those hotties...on my feat, I could feel the foam closing in and snugging up to my foot. Very cool concept. I think a lot of boots in the near future are going to be heat molded for a tight fit. So the end result will be a perfect fit for the foot. Once it loses some of it's form, you get them reheated once more. I heard that the Slingshot bindings are like this too. I have tried on the Shanes, Murray's, and the 3DS before buying my Cell's. They all fit really good. But I cna see if you were to get to big of a boot, you might encounter what that poster mentioned with breaking his toe. Another reason I went with Ronix...not everyone's foot is the same shape. My feet are wide in the front and narrow on the heal...triangle feet. I normally wear a size 8 shoe. I ended up with a size 9 boot because my width. If I bought the Shanes, I would have had a gap in the front of the toe. Like everything else. Make sure they are tight all around.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
hopefully they improved on them since the 06 Shanes..I really liked riding the closed toes but when you had a real bad awkard fall like coming short on rotation on a crow and caught between a crow and front and sliding hard forward or even hitting on your back heals hard enough to jar your feet,YOUR TOE DOES HIT THE FRONT OF THE BINDING .

i know of two other people beside myself that has had this happen more then once..

I wear a 9.5/10 in a regular shoe and had the 9-10 shanes and i had a bruised toe and blood under my big toenail on my back right foot for a while after at least three times of slamming my toe into the binding..

granted i didnt have an issue on normal falls,jumps or landings but it can and did happen..

I got scared it could get worse so i sold them thinking they didnt fit correctly..

I now have OT Watsons but all that being said i would give the CT another shot in hopes they improved the toe area and fit of them because they were VERY comfortable..
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-02-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
I have 06 3DS boots....and I can assure you this.....you'll want to slam your toes in a pair of closed toe boots before you'll want to have to go through the agony of punching out the front of a pair of open toe!! Happened to me....03 or so Hyperlite Highbacks......no blade in the boat, and had to wait to get on the swimdeck, unscrew them and pour Dawn all over to get my foot out. I could feel my ankle about to dislocate the whole time!
Old    xtremebordgurl            04-02-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
Are snowboard boots dangerous?
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
I have not had a problem with my foot hitting the front with the Ronix Ones
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-02-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
Since my Ronix Ones are molded to the design of my foot, they don't even move (ever). I have jammed my big toe once in them, but it was because I cased the wake on a Scarecrow and took a hard fall. I blame it on the fall for jamming my toe, not the binding design. I try to throw a lot of inverts into the flats and never had a problem other than that one bad fall.
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-02-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
i love my 3ds bindings.... they are tight and i have yet to stub my toe or even come out of them on the nasty falls...
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-02-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
Does anyone have info on how many people get busted feet/toes in snowboarding? Snowboarders use them for an obvious reason but wakeboarding seems to gain quite a bit from other board sports that have been around longer...
Either way it seems to be the new fad, good or bad time will tell. I get to wait 6 months while my new acl is healing.. so go out and test them for me!
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
i would rather toe jam than have my foot slide out the front of an open toe...heard rumors of this dont know if its true seems psible tho
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-02-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
Open toed wakeskate shoes would be interesting...
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
That is the reason i went closed toe. I was tired of ripping up my open toe bindings due to my feet sliding out the front
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-02-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
Another thing to remember the direction of motion by wakeboarders versus snowboarders. Snowboarders are constantly moving forward. All of their tricks are down slop. Wakeboarders are moving forward and from side to side. When you do a ts frontroll on a wakeboard, a lot of your momentum is going towards the shoreline putting more impact on your toes. In snowboarding, you dont have the side to side motion, so jamming your toes isn't as much of a problem
Old    meyerb            04-02-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
While landing off big kickers on my toes a little awkward I have slammed my toes to the end of my snowboard boots. It hurts really bad.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-02-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
wakeboard boots are stretchy so your feet come out in a hard crash, which allows a toe stub. Snowboard boots are not stretchy, so it is much harder to stub your toe.

apples and oranges
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-02-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
Check this out...
http://www.alliancewake.com/article_details.php?id=2846
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
I've been rolling the 3ds, and I'm getting rid of them too. They don't allow for ejections. Sometimes, you need to be able to "seperate," to prevent rippin off limbs. I like my ankles, and my 3ds, don't care about em. I ride a few days a week and wad it up with style, and never once, I have left the bindings on a fall. Not even one time.
Love the CT, but I will try another set. One that allows for the occassional ejection.
I'll cover the usual suspects. The bindings are correct in size and used properly. They just work too good at staying on.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-03-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
If it helps you at all Chris....I got ejected from an under rotated Cab role last weekend with my Ronix Ones.. These definately have the ejection package/option.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-03-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
All wakeskates should have that listed under their description. ***Special Ejection Package Included. No Extra Cost!!***

(Message edited by sloshake on April 03, 2007)
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-04-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
"I got ejected from an under rotated Cab role last weekend with my Ronix Ones.."

Keith, thanks. I needed to hear that, to solidify the purchase. I gotta think, the difference between the Ones' and 3DS is about 10 pounds and a rip cord. I can't wait....
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-04-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
if you tighten them properly, the roundness of the top of your foot will not allow for your toes to go very far forward. get some ronix ones....
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-04-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
i don't see how you could possibly stub your toe in a closed toe wakeboard boot? ive been snowboarding for over 10 years and never stubbed my toe from my snowboard boots and they are closed toe :-)