Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-15-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
well I have ridden without a helmet for over 8 years....but decided to wear my shred ready from kiteboarding this year. Last year I had a couple serious faceplants that I had to lie down for about 3 hours before I felt better.

Well yesterday I do a toside 180 wake to wake and sure enough into a face plant. Had that ugly sharp pain in the stomach and pinch in the back.

After the fall I kick off the board right away realizing that like last year I am gonna feel like crap when I get into the boat.

But to my surprise .....nothing...no nausea...nothing...headache no!

So for anyone still deciding I am a convert....I still can't believe I walked away from that without any ill effects.
And no whiplash because of the larger surface.

Now I feel really invincible! (not really good for me ...but hey)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
hmmm...

when one shows up on BoardersBestBuy or something i might fork out the $

I have a friend borrowing my duck tape hand made one and says it works He is also loving the comments he gets on it. he tubes and boards with it.

i might as well sell it to him since he's always got it

i had one crash with it and second guessed its design and he's had it ever since
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-15-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
I've been riding with my Shred Ready for a little over a year and have had the same experience as you. The helmet definitely makes a difference for me.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
The only time my helmet has ever failed me is when it wasn't strapped tight enough and it's like when I fell the top of the helmet hit the water and then my head slammed into the helmet . . . It hurt like hell. Apart from user error I have had no other problems with my helmet I never ride without it
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2008, 10:39 PM Reply   
What helmet is it? is it the plastic like A500 or whatever its called? not the standard halfcut?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2008, 4:53 AM Reply   
...its got a little of a lip too it....but I wear it reverse with the lip in the back like a baseball cap. Yes its plastic. Below is the exact one. Its called the scrappy. The nice thing with the shred ready are the two ratchets that tighten the head band to your head.....this helmet doesn't move or wobble....you dont really need the straps.

Upload

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on June 16, 2008)

Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-16-2008, 5:04 AM Reply   
I'm curious. How does a helmet help you on a faceplant? I can see for those "hS 360 to back edge" deals, but not on a faceplant.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2008, 5:09 AM Reply   
Trust me a face plant after a wake to wake jump can seriuosly affect you....especially at 43. I have 20 year olds on my boat complaing of headaches after just a regular faceplant......you prob wont get that with a helmet.

Like I said above ...last year I felt seriously ill twice after major faceplants after a jump.
Old     (cwfunrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
I have that same helmet. I originally bought it for white water kayaking but never used it. I always thought about wearing it for wakeboarding, just never have. I'll have to give it a shot..
Old     (wakechica)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
I bought that exact helmet from someone here on wakeworld last year and I have been using it. I like it a lot better than the bern helmet i bought at the beginning of last year. I have a small head so the ratchet really helps to hold it on.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-16-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
I've read the banter back and forth on other posts about whether or not a helmet really works for wakeriding, and haven't pulled the trigger yet because I just always didn't want to wear one.

Well, after concussion #4 last Friday (2nd from wakeboarding), I'm exploring what helmet to try out. I imagine any negatives due to the dynamics of water and edges of the helmet are still outweighed by the positives of impact disbursement.

I'm just concerned with my little brain. It can't be happy. I feel like I need to do something. I guess I could just stop falling, that would be nice.

I guess I will take a look at the Shred ready. Michael, did you try any other helmets and have any feedback?

Danny
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
Danny, No I have never tried any other helmet....but because this has the ratchet....it did't even move on my head during the crash. I know alot of helmets fit kind of loose...i would def. suggest to get one that fits perfect with a head strap on it.
I was a sceptic all along myself........but thats it....I will always wear a helmet from now on.......its totally worth knowing you have a chance to walk away from a crash that would normally end your day or more.

I cant stress how pleasantly surprised I was to walk away from that unscathed.

I always thought crashing with a helmet would have those "negative dynamics" too, but as of now I have not experienced any.

Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-16-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I will check out the helmet that you posted above.

From an engineering standpoint, I believe that the straps would be a big part of it to ensure a tight fit (as you said). I imagine that a sloppy fit would exacerbate any weird interaction with the water and perhaps put more strain on the head or neck.

Danny
Old    dabigkahuna            06-16-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
I have tried the ProTec Ace Wake, the Capix, and several others. I have the Shaggy from Shred Ready, and the helmet is AWESOME! The ratchet straps help the helmet fit really snug to your cranium, and the "wobble" and "Bucket" affect is really minimized with this system. You don't even know it's on.

I can say it helps 100% I have caught a few hard heelside edges trying big blind 180s into the flats, and when I didn't have the helmet on the crash would end my session. With the helmet on, I just laughed and said, "glad I'm wearing my helmet!"

I don't wear it all the time, but I should. Totally helps, in my opinion. I know there are arguments out there, but there are also arguments about how wearing a seatbelt in a car can kill you (my father-in-law refuses to wear a seatbelt because he says it will kill him in an accident). I think those anti-helmet and anti-seatbelt arguments are based off of really rare situations, like not being able to get out of a burning car because of a malfunctioning seat belt. All in all, the odds are in favor of wearing your helmet, and wearing you seatbelt!
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-16-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
Nausea and a terrible headache after a bad faceplant? Ever think to go and get checked out for a concussion?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-17-2008, 5:04 AM Reply   
I agree David......but thats why we got the helmets now........its always a good idea to get checked out......in retrospect I was feeling so bad last year I could have drifted off when I laid down and never returned......luckily that wasn't the case.

Always have someone keep an eye on you after a bad fall if your feeling bad and go visit the doc.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Well I just bought a CAPIX helmet a few weeks back and have yet to try it out yet, everyweekend ill be half way to the cottage and realize that i forgot my helmet.

Now I know apparently CAPIX helmets are crap, espcially if you choose to wear them forward. But when i tried it on in the store I dont know if its the shape of my melon or what? but the thing fits me perfectly, with the strap on it doesnt budge at all, actually it doesnt even budge with the strap off.

So again I know its not the best of helmets, but im going to give it a go anyways :-)

ill let you know how it works!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-17-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Been riding in and selling shred ready for over 3 years, they make a great helmet, I highly recommend Shred Ready.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Been doing some reading on the Shred Ready website. I like the looks of the Super Scrappy shown above and that it comes with the "HOG" retention system. I'll probably get a Shred Ready based on what I've seen and everyone else's positive experience with them. Now, it's just a matter of deciding which one.

Does the Super Scrappy give sufficient temple coverage? It's hard to tell from the website because there aren't a lot of pictures showing people with the helmets on. On my last fall, it felt like Chuck Norris punched me right in the temple (still sore, and it's been 4 days). I'm thinking I need a helmet that covers the temple well.

I was also hoping to be able to try on before buying to get a feel for how different models sit on my noggin. It's cool that there aren't really different sizes, though, just the shimming pads. Should minimize the risk of buying without really trying.

Danny
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
I am in the market too, and am going back and forth on the Pro Tec Ace, and the Shaggy SR. Originally, I thought the back head strap was the key difference, but looking at the Pro Tec again, it also has a back head strap. The other pro on the Pro Tec is that it's more of a full head helmet. It covers the back of your head as well, where the SR looks like it only covers your head like a baseball cap.

Has anyone experienced the back head strap on the Pro Tec Ace? How does it adjust? It doesn't look half as secure as the SR. The back strap on the SR looks like a serious piece of equipment, with the ratchet system and all.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-17-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
.....the ratchet is def sweet.....danny...my helmet goes around eyebrow level, covers the temple.