Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (mibu)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
Here is the link to the story:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12975037

Then one of people in the boat posted a comment about what really happened:

http://forums.mercurynews.com/topic/discovery-bay-boat-crash-sends-six-to-hospital?source=article

This is scary, how you could be doing everything right and then in a blink of eye....
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-03-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
we saw the aftermath. The thing the person forgot to mention was they were driving on the far left side of the slough on a blind corner and basically cut the bass boat off. Effing crazy how clueless some people are.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
I didn't see the accident, but saw both boats being towed down old river towards d-bay by the coast guard, they didn't look that bad. Something I noticed right away is both boats had damage on their right sides. That could only happen if one boat was on the wrong side. I not implying the bass boat cut the corner on the wrong side cause I don't know the facts, but those bass boats were flying down old river and when I saw the boats that's the first thing that came to my mind.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
nick did you see it?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-03-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
not the collision, but were riding in there all morning and saw them well before coats guard got there.

Your right the non fishing boat looked lik they were on the wrong side. Didnt seem to bad though no one flagged us down.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
I believe the fishing boat was in the wrong, but cant say for sure because i dint' see it. But I got passed by the fishing boats all morning on old river, and they were flying and cutting the corners.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-03-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
they were sitting right on a left turn corner. fishing boat looked like it was coming back towards disco and other boat going out towards old river bridge.that would mean the fishing boat was on the correct side. the comment on the article even made it sound like they werent to far away from the corner itself

And yes the fishing boats were flying around everywhere. One got up on me when i was riding only about 30 ft back.

(Message edited by nsolis220 on August 03, 2009)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-03-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
Ick I hate threads like this, a few years back, I saw, and was first on scene after a Tube with 2 young girls collided with a fishing boat, It was Horrible. Honestly one of the worst experiences of my life.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-03-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
We had 2 jet skier's collide into another while jumping our wake. One wasn't injured, the other had to be helicoptered out. Severe trauma to his head. Turned out they were 16 year old's who have been drinking.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Calstar landed @ Disco Bay ramp. The ejected were not bad enough to warrant air transport. We went back to base glad it was none of my WW friends. Be careful out there. If I have to come get an idiot and I know you I will not be happy!!!! LOL
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-03-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
glad everyone made it out with their lives.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Is it bad of me that I would turn this into reasons against the fishing competitions? At least having them enforce a speed limit or something of that sort? Boat on correct side or not, a fishing tourney is not important enough to put lives in danger. If some barefoot race had any outcome of this sort you could guarantee there would be no more barefooting in that area at the least.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-03-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
After having a bass boat drive right up the swim step and go over the stern of a wakeboard boat (going 25 mph) I was filming from nothing would surprise me when it comes to those guys. All because they were in a rush to get out to fish somewhere.

Seem like they are either trolling or going 60+ mph given their flat bottom/ 200 hp+ outboards and they've always got big attitudes because they don't like our wakes while they're fishing. This is kind of like running into a little old lady driving 5 mph down the wrong side of the street, sure she's in the wrong but if you're driving halfway intelligently you're not going to hit her.

So it doesn't matter in my mind who "was on the wrong side" of the river, the bass boat was going way to f-ing fast - I'll guarantee it!
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-03-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
you know rich thats a really good point. we were trippin out how one flew by us hit our wake at about 50 mph and completely came out of the water. you could literally see the prop in the back of the boat it was so high out of the water. the damn guys almost pissed themselves.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-03-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
+1 Rich. Everyday we see bassboats smashin within 100ft of our rider. never ceases to amaze me. they go up one wake at 60mph and the WHOLE boat comes up out the water, prop and all, its a pretty gnarly site, especially when you think that all that has to happen is a hand comes off the wheel and that thing makes a right right into the levy...scary business...
Old     (dmc_napa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
Only thing worse than the bass boats are the cigarette boats doing 70+... Freaks me out every time. Especially around the corner on Railroad by Bull Frog. Sometimes there can be three or four boats on that corner, and they come ripping up the channel.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2009, 11:14 PM Reply   
ARticle said between OR Bridge and Indian Slough...so I assume it happened at the intersection of Twins and Old River? The intersection of Old River and Twins is sketchy. I stay away from there on weekends any time after about 8:00 a.m. Too dangerous. Besides...Twins is populated with idiots goint to and from Ski Beach....