Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old    bsoto            06-13-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
I was looking for some advice on what to buy to stay a little warmer in the water. The water temp where I ride is usually about the high 50's to low 60's. Once I'm in and have been riding a little while I warm right up. My problem is the first time I get in it's usually a little cold so I was wondering if buying a 2mm rashguard would help me with the initial entry into the water or should I look at getting a spring suit. Also depending on what you think which brand and model do you suggest etc.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            06-13-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
I like wearing a shorty when its a bit chilly. Drysuits are too constrictive.
Old    helixthecat            06-13-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
I am riding north of you, we are using rash guards here. I used a shorty a little earlier in the season. Your local Pro Shop should have a decent selection of both.
Old    bsoto            06-13-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
Well the sad thing is we really don't have a Pro shop in our area. What we have are ski shops that have a very small selection of wakeboarding accessories. Brent how thick is your rashguard and does it make that much of a difference for warmth. Also what brand do you suggest. I'm leaning towards the O'NEILL Hammer top.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-13-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
I am currently using a 2/2mm springsuit (JP) in 55° water. If the air is warm I'll even trunk it. A boat shower is nice for warming up the suit first.
Old    bsoto            06-13-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
Like I said the only time It's cold for me is when i first get in and I'm usually on the water at 8am so sometimes it's a little cooler at that time. But what I really wanted to know is will a 2mm rashguard help keep me a little warm because over all I really don't get that cold. I'm a scuba diver who had dove in 40 degree water wearing only a wetsuit and I was warm.
Old    helixthecat            06-13-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
I have a 2mm Bare RG......short sleeve at that. I looked at the O'neill's and Hyperlites, just liked the color of mine best. I ride in the morning too.....does the trick for me.
Old    bsoto            06-13-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
Cool man thanks for the info. I think I'm going to pick one up then.
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
Im buying a Bare shorty this weekend (2mm).
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-13-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
I have a shorty and a couple of rash gaurds. rash gaurds do help when it's not to cold. But i really love my shorty when it's a little colder.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-16-2003, 1:23 AM Reply   
sorry dude, id be wearing a drysuit in those conditions. I think the water temp here is 80+
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       06-16-2003, 5:54 AM Reply   
when water gets into mid-50's I bag on the drysuit and don the neo-shirt. More warmth than a rashguard and not a pain to put on/off like a shorty suit (or wetsuit). Another alternative would be a rashguard with a fleece lining -- Bare and a few others make 'em. Not quite as warm as 2mm neo but lighter and more flexible.