Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old    poka            06-10-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
I have a 1990 ski nautique. I recently purchased a hyperlite landlock thinking I could use it behind my boat. Keep in mind I have only been out trying to surf one time so far. I have not been able to get the wake to sustain my forward movement. I can for a very short time, then I drift back and it's over or I hit the platform. If I keep the handle I can ride again for a short time without pulling on the rope and then I need to use the rope to sustain my forward movement. I Have 500 pounds in the back and 3 riders in the boat.I tried boat speeds between 9 - 12 mph. Other than buy a wakeboard boat what do I need to do to surf behind my nautique?
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
I couldn't tell from your post where the 500 lbs was. Place it in the back and on whichever side you feel more comfortable on, then put all your riders on that same side.

Your optimum speed should be around 10-11 mph, much more and the wake gets smaller...much less and you don't have enough forward movement to plane the board.

Now you best position to keep it going without the rope is to be somewhere between 1.5 to 4 feet behind the swim platform.

Don't think of getting pushed from behind like you would see in real surfing, instead...really just try to drive that inside rail of the board right into the wake...lean forward to go faster...stomp the back if you go shooting toward the swim step too fast. Its all about tiny movements.

Also, if possible where you ride, have the driver hook you into a shallow turn to the inside.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-11-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
On my 94 Nautique the wake is only rideable on the drivers side and is best shaped when turning to the left away from the rider. The turning away of the boat will give you a clean curl/ramp. The more weight in the rear corner the better, but we can still ride with as little as 600lbs. (Its best when sunk to the rubrail with about 1500#s) I set the Ppass to 9.8. Hopefully you are goofy foot! because there is not much shape on the passenger side.