Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what the conditions are like in Cancun for boarding? Has anyone done it? Is it worth dragging my board with me?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old    whipped            05-15-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
Christie:

My brother went on vacation in Cancun a few months ago and while there wakeboarded. As you know, Cancun is really a long narrow strip of land peppered with Hotels, etc. with the ocean on one side and an inlet on the other.

All the boat, jet ski rentals are on the inlet side. Here are the pros and cons...

Cons- Water is rough unless you go very early due to jet ski, boat traffic, or wind. Boats are not weighted so wake is small from the rental companies. Most don't have towers or poles, but a few do. Drivers don't know how to pull very well. Ropes are nylon stretch with small handles.

Pros: Epic scenery, warm water.

You'll still have fun getting pulled, just don't expect great water or a nice wake. Hope that helps.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
When are you going? I actually may have an opporunity to go in July.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-15-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
I might be there in June...
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2003, 12:05 PM Reply   
Paula, I'm going July 3-12. Where are you thinking about going?
Old    quickhitter10            05-15-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
ill be in cancun june 11-18th senior trip. Its gonna be off the hook
Old    whipped            05-15-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
Gee, for my senior trip (long long ago) our class went to a Huey Lewis and the News concert.

WHEEE!!!

You'll have an absolute blast Brandon. Cancun has great nightlife (and a drinking age of 18!) There are some clubs there that are pretty huge and wild.

Bring bail money!
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
OH MY GOD!!! TEAK LIVES....and is still whipped!???

What is up? I take it you have a wonderful employer who allows you to work on a computer or you have one at home now? Good to see you on the boards. When are we going to hook up?

Did you really last log in on August 26th, 2002? Love the pic...classic Teak! I take it you sold the BU from the profile? Man, we need to get caught up!
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-15-2003, 7:29 PM Reply   
Here is the email to Scott Smith. He had a master craft with a outboard when I was there, but has emailed me that he was getting a Supra Sunsport which is pretty much the same hull as the Launch. He is a cool guy and has a place on the lagoon side. It was a good time when I went even though the wake wasn't that big. The new boat should help that out. toezup@hotmail.com Tell him I pointed you his way.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'll have to get back to you on that. One of my relatives lives there and there's gonna be a wedding.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
Christie, I wakeboarded everyday at Cancun Club Med a few of years ago. It was a blast, but I was just learning then. Actually, I think Scott Smith was running the deal at Club Med when I was there. He was a cool guy. The water quality was great, but the wakes were small. And, the crocks were not a problem. Just stay out of the shallow water or you will be pulling off leeches! :-)
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
Stan - thanks for the email address...I'll send him an email.

Paula - let me know when you find out when you will be out that way.

Dane - wow...crocs & leeches...and I thought the Delta had it's hazards!!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2003, 8:16 AM Reply   
Danedawg, Scott Smith (greatest boat mechanic ever) has left Club Med (everyone thought he would be there for life) but he now has a Ski School just outside Club Med Cancun and still uses the same water ways, and I'm pretty sure he got some new boats. But Its been about 6 years since I've talked to him face to face, but his name comes up alot in my circle of friends. So if anyone is headed out to Cancun definatly check this guy out. Best way to find him, is go into one of the local tequila bars and ask for him, if he's not there (don't be surprised if he is) they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction, haha.
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
he has a site. its:
http://www.waterskicancun.com
i think there will be a tournament going on in early june, he can probably give you all the details.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
Just confirmed, I'll be in Cancun/Tulum from 6/13 to 6/20...

can not wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
Sean - Have a good time and let me know if you end up catching a pull while you are down there. I might have to check it out in July!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
I will also be in Cancun, 6/14 to 6/18....

Though I doubt my wakeboard will accompany me.

Magic....I don't think they'll let you carry your foil on...

E.J.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2003, 5:10 PM Reply   
No Skyski is a bummer. Maybe some one has an old school AirChair laying around.

That site listed above (www.waterskicancun.com) shows that they have boards... going to have to do it just to say I did.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Christie, July 26 in...?Campeche? My momma says it's about three hours away from Cancun. Darn! Too bad, it looks no chance in us meeting up with one another unless you stay a while longer??:-)
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Paula - DARN! That would have been cool to meet up down there. Hmmmm...stay in Cancun for the whole month of JUly?? Twist my arm! Unfortunately, reality kicks in and I have to get back to work....maybe next time!
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
Okay, just an update on traveling to Mexico. I was in the board shop yesterday and in comes a guy from of all places...Campeche, Mexico. Campeche is where I'm headed for in July. He was buying up the shop for his boat down in Campeche and tells me he'll hook me up with a pull!! I thought i would have to travel to Cancun to get a pull. What a small world:-)

So, what I would like to know is, what is the deal with taking my board and stuff. Do I just get a padded board bag and check it? Will my board survive? I know my hyperlite could but I really want to take my new Subjekt.
Thanks
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-29-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Pipe insulation, just put that round the edge of your board and tape it on. A padded bag and pack some clothes in with it and you'll be fine.
Old    xtremrider            05-30-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
Its alright if you go in the lagoon, just watch for the leeches, and that damn crockadile. you have to find a person who is a good tow. never done it in the open ocean there, only the lagoon
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-30-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
Good idea Kris, Thanks!

Leeches?? And just one crockadile? I think I can handle that.:-)
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-30-2003, 3:02 PM Reply   
Paula, you could go the safe route and just take Kristian's old board, duct tape the 2 halves together, and ship it without any bag or protection. It will probably arrive at your destination better than when it shipped!
Or, put it in a bag and then turn in a claim at your destination showing the massive amount of damage that must have incurred during shipping.
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2003, 7:27 PM Reply   
Hey Christie....looks like we are going at the same time. I'll be in Cancun from July 6 - July 10th. I'm staying at the JW Marriott.

I contacted Scott Smith at the waterskicancun site to set up some wakeboarding time on either July 8th or 9th. Maybe I'll run into you.

Small world....
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
Stephanie - It is a small world! We will definitely have to get together while we are there.

I also emailed Scott, but I think he is going to be out of town that week. He gave me someone else to call. We should try to set something up at the same time.

Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2003, 11:43 PM Reply   
Christie,
Yes, let's try to set something up while we are there. How cool is that? Wakeboarding in Cancun...not the Delta, but I'll take it!

I got the opportunity to wakeboard in Jamaica a few years ago. It was amazing to see the bottom of the ocean while riding. The water was rough, and the Jamaican guys couldn't drive very good (either too fast or too slow), but it was an incredible experience.

Let's see if we can hook up and ride together. Let me know when and where you'll be, and we'll go out. I can videotape you if you have your camera with you. Now that would be a cool video...
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-07-2003, 4:36 PM Reply   
While everyone is down there could you look for Raphael Gandara? He was suppose to arrive in San Diego a couple of weeks ago but no one has heard a word from him since. Maybe he only made it half way on his journey from Brazil.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-08-2003, 10:13 AM Reply   
just bring some sacks with you and a pump, if the guy aint on the boat, then he wont know
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
Cancun, 48 hours and counting!!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2003, 8:51 PM Reply   
Have a great trip!:-)
Old    abovethewake            06-11-2003, 9:08 PM Reply   
Check out SBC Wakeboard Summer Issue- Just Released... Me and two other Canadians were down there riding and theres a story in the new issue... check out www.sbcwakeboard.com it may pop up here...
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2003, 12:13 AM Reply   
Less than 24 hours!!!!!!
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       06-13-2003, 7:36 AM Reply   
Sean M,
I can't even imagine how excited you must be! I have 24 days to go and am going nuts!!
Please post when you get back and let us know how it was. Are you planning on getting some wakeboarding in with Scott Smith while you are there? We have a couple of hours reserved with him to do a little wakeboarding in the lagoon. I seriously cannot wait!!!!
Have a great time!