Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-14-2011, 8:29 PM Reply   
So yesterday we were out on the Delta wakeboarding on the north side of Railroad. We were about half way down. For those not familiar with the Delta, we're talking about a two mile long set of parallel sloughs separated by railroad tracks and tules etc. Our rider fell, and as I'm turning around to get him, I see a sheriff boat turning onto the slough. I tell the crew to put up the flag, which they did immediately. The only other boat on the whole slough was a fishing boat working the tules about 300 yards in front of us. The sheriff was at least half a mile away when we got the flag up. By the time I got turned around, and the rope tightened, the sheriff was 200-300 yards away, and on plane. Not wanting to pull up in front of them, I just waited.

Much to my surprise and dismay, as they pulled along side of us they flipped on the blue lights, and started talking to us on the loudspeaker. They ordered us to hold up a vest for each passenger, then the fire extinguisher, then the throwable cushion. We were then treated to lectures by not one but two of the three officers on board about not having the flag up in time. One of them was writing something on a pad of paper. I assume it was our CF numbers, so that we could be held more accountable the next time we commit such an egregious violation. After they left, my only question was, "how do they do that with a straight face?"

We've been pulled over probably a dozen or more times on the Delta. We've never gotten a ticket. Most of these have been during Winter when we're just about the only boat out there. It appears they don't have anything better to do than to harass the only boat they see out there.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-14-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
With Californias bad financial situation just be grateful they aren't in full-on revenue collection mode.

I do think flag up when rider is down is retarded. It must be annoying. Here we just put the flag up when we have someone in the water/behind the boat. I mean, it's obvious to anyone when a boat is pulling a rider or getting a downed rider. Whenever I see a flag and a boat not on plane I assume there's a person in the water near that boat and act accordingly. It's not rocket science.
Old     (SafetyMike)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-14-2011, 9:59 PM Reply   
Agree with Cory 100% I ride mainly in MN you hardly see anyone using flags at all.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-14-2011, 11:59 PM Reply   
During the summer im out at my lake 3-4 times a week, and i swear they just get bored and start bugging people. Im all for them being out there and doing their job, but they always end up ignoring the idiots that are causing problems and hassling the regulars.

idk how everyone else feels about this, but i am all for requiring boating licenses in AZ. at least requiring a licensed driver in each party. So many people get out there and just cause problems that would be so easily avoided.
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-15-2011, 2:56 AM Reply   
Joey, don't count on licences reducing the idiot factor. We have them here and it hasn't really changed anything, particularly with sea lice operators. Don't use flags here either and the weekends are horrendous for traffic, last went on a summer weekend about 30 years ago and vowed never again.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
What I don't understand is that these officers are paid to go out on a boat everyday and almost everyone of them seem like they are disgrunteled with their job and out to ruin as many peoples days as possible.The ones in my area are some of the most unhappy people I've encountered.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-15-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
super weak.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-15-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Wow is that enforced down their eh thats bonkers
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Peter,

the deltais getting so dangerous these days, im glad the cops are actually working. But that super lame that they did that to you when no one else was out. They get so lame sometimes, theres a reason i ride nights during the week.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-15-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
Our neighborhood is on a river in Texas. Every spring the hood has a booze cruize down to the gulf and back. As you put your boat in, there is a coast gaurd and game warden at the ramp. They do a 5 min inspection and give you a dated sticker for your windshield.

I have not been pulled over since. If it is a warden that I do not know they usually edge up close, but when they see the sticker they split. You should consider arranging it with your local authority.

But I understand. When out of my water space, I have come across some real jerks.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-15-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
What I don't understand is that these officers are paid to go out on a boat everyday and almost everyone of them seem like they are disgrunteled with their job and out to ruin as many peoples days as possible.The ones in my area are some of the most unhappy people I've encountered.
This. I would be a happy MF. Well, until I got my paycheck.