Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
Hey ya'll, just wanted to give props to Nick/Sonja for doing a clinic on Lewisville Lake in Dallas today.

I showed up for the 1pm ride a few minutes late(I had called about an hour prior to give everyone a heads up but I don't think the peeps I talked to at the shop understood that I was gonna come out and ride, and the message didn't get passed along)and they had already pulled the boat out of the water and packed it up(noone had signed up for the 1pm ride).

I thought for sure I'd get turned down because I was the only knucklehead that showed up to ride in 20 mph + gusty winds, but hey, 15 minutes later I was on the boat, with two very chill boarders, in search of some higher learning!

So I figured since it was blown out and I was the only idiot that showed up to waste everyone's time, they'd just toss me in the water and give me a few pointers and send me on my merry way. Wrong.

Nick took the first pull, and literally on the first cut he took outside the wake, before the boat even planed, my jaw was unhinged. I'll be lucky if I can ever pop that huge starting from the flats, much less from inside the wake!

Anyways, they really helped me with my riding, I had a total blast, and even though it was great hogging all the instruction to myself, I wish more people could have been there for the experience.

So what happened next pretty much made Nick and Sonja my heroes, but I promised Sonja I wouldn't be some crazy fan that would go on a ranting rampage, so I'll keep it short(ish)-

We get back to the dock, I get all my gear off the boat, and Sonja handed me my sunglasses bag that had my truck keys and phone in it- I set it on the dock(shorts were wet...it seemed logical at the time, and yes you already know where this is going)we say our goodbyes, and as I pick my board up off the dock, *PLUNK*

Sonja: "Hey what was that- I think.."

Me, now realizing what "that" was: "Ohhh man... I think that was... wow...I haven't done that in a long time".

And thus, operation phone/key salvage commenced. Nick jumped back on the boat and checked the depth finder-a meager 20 feet... I dove down a few times and it sure felt deeper than that! After that, Nick started diving too, which tripped me out. I'm just NOT used to such nice people. After a couple more tries, I was like "guys, seriously it's no big deal, just take off" and they were both like "it's cool we don't have anywhere else to be".

I was really about to give up at that point until they said that, so after a couple more tries and a few suggestions from Nick on where to sweep my arms, and a few motivational stories from Sonja about how many moronic experiences they've had with dropping stuff off the dock(the instruction didn't stop after I got off the boat, COOL!), lo and behold I surfaced with my keys and phone in hand. Now if the phone actually works after that, I think it's safe to say I feel like the luckiest man alive today.

Anyways, they gave me their business card with contact info(phones/emails)and apparently I wasn't done losing stuff, because I've scoured everything high and low and can't find that card to save my life. So if anyone can hook me up with their email/phone I would really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Clint
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-06-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Glad you had such a good experience. I always liked to watch Weinacker ride and I wish I got to see more coverage on him. I saw somewhere on this board, if you drop your cell phone in water take it apart and put it in a bag of rice, the rice will soak up the water. I think I have also heard of using an oven and very low heat, but I don't know if I would do that. Good luck with it, maybe somebody else will chime in on how to dry out your phone.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-07-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I rode last week with them and got a ton from them that cleaned up my riding. I came back to take the morning set with them yesterday right before you. I concur totally cool people. I would highly recommend a lesson from them. BTW I have their number if you want to call me. Send me a PM and I will get it to you.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Nick & Sonja are the coolest. Rode with them & Dean Lavelle@ Lake Alfred & the Bonifay's place a few years back. They brought the most key element to riding...fun.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-07-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Nick Weinaker and sonya have been around the wakeboarding world for years. They have seen the good, the bad and the ugly of the sport and continually represent "the good". Nick and our family go way back and I am proud to call him our friend as well as a pioneer in the world of wakeboarding.

(Message edited by teamvaldez on June 07, 2007)