Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
What is the difference between an SUV or truck with a factory installed towing kit with a V6 vs. a V8? Obviously engine is bigger, but what else?

Will there be difference in the transmission, drive train, brakes, suspensions, etc. too? Or is it just the engine?

Here is why I am curious: we currently tow our X2(X1) with my girl's V6 Explorer -- and before you laugh - we have been towing that boat and other boats before that for years without issues .. not a lot of elevation differences where we live.

Yes, of course a Super Duty with Banks Ultra Bling would be preferable...But not for daily driving which the new vehicle will also be for.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-26-2005, 9:08 AM Reply   
With an X2 you should be fine. A little harder on the engine, but as long as you don't leave a bunch of lead in there, should be OK. Sure, you're probably not going to get 200K+ miles out of the car, but that's not a big deal to most people.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-26-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Factory towing packages generally include hitch/wiring and an auxilary transmission cooling unit.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Both would have tranny cooler and whatever else comes with the factory towing package.

But what about the tranny, axle, suspension, brakes, whatever -- are they beefier on, say, a V8 Explorer vs. a V6 Explorer?
Old    swass            10-26-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
"But what about the tranny, axle, suspension, brakes, whatever -- are they beefier on, say, a V8 Explorer vs. a V6 Explorer?"

Nope.
Old    ryan_bailey            10-26-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
"But what about the tranny, axle, suspension, brakes, whatever -- are they beefier on, say, a V8 Explorer vs. a V6 Explorer?"

Nope.

That's not true. A V8 explorer has a 8.8 axle while many of the early V6 models had the 7.25 axle. Big differance in tranny options too. Most V8 explorers are full time 4wd, while the V6 models are not. The frames are differant in the front for the V8 crossmember. V8 models had a limited slip option, etc... If I was going to tow with a 6 I would tow with a I6, like the trailblazer or older jeeps have.
Old    swass            10-26-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
OK. I guess we have a different concept of "beefier." Or, I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Aki has a V8 Exploder, Fredrik. Ask him.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
Yeah, but what does he know?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-26-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
Sometimes they have lower rear axle ratios in addition to the tranny coolers and etc.
Old    swass            10-26-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
Well, he did tow his MC with it before the Super Duty with Banks Ultra Bling.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-26-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
How about towing a Sanger V215 with a V-6 Explorer or V-6 4-Runner...those are my two options and I do need to tow over the grapevine in Cali. I have checked and the towing capacity os 5,000 on the 4 Runner and the boat/trailer are around 4,500...don't plan to carry any lead weights or anything too heavy for the drive and fule up when I get there.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-26-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
That's going to be pushing it Tracy. I'm not sure what the grapevine in Cali is, but I wouldn't feel comfortable towing a large v-drive through DFW with a small v6 SUV/truck. Just a little bit of gas in the tank and gear is going to take you over the capacity of one of those.

My roommate has a v8 4-Runner with the towing package and it tows our SSV like a champ though.
Old    ryan_bailey            10-26-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Time to look at a STS for the Toyota...

Check out the last picture on this page...

http://www.ststurbo.com/testimonials
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-26-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
The problem with towing with a small v6 suv/truck isn't the power to get it rolling, but the short wheelbase and the ability to stop a 5k lb boat w/o the boat/trailer pushing the rig all over or off of the road.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-26-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
X2 dry weight 3,050
Dual axel trailer 1,250
33 gallons of fuel 230
Gear 500
-----------------------------------
Total 4,760

Explorer V6 tow rating 5,390 4X2
Explorer V6 tow rating 5,210 4X4

You’re close to the tow limit as is. I was towing with a V6, I recommend trading in your tow vehicle before you get to 100,000 miles, my transition died at 117,000.

I just bought a Chevy Avalanche. It pulled my boat up the ramp at 1,200 rpms, what a difference.

(Message edited by bigshow on October 26, 2005)
Old    akman            10-26-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
We still have the Exploder...although now it's just for going to work and back.

The main problem with them is the rear suspension....It's built for cruising not towing, the minute we put the boat back there the ass end would sag all over the place.

We have the 5.0 V8 with the tow package...extra tranny/oil cooler, 3.73 rear end, all wheel drive, tow capacity was something over 7000lbs if I remember correctly.

It was fine for flat towing and did pretty well in the hills, but it doesn't compare to my truck now.

I know there are people on this site that say "I tow uphill @ 60mph no problem at all" with my V8.

I did it and I was working the crap out of my old truck, I could feel the floorboard getting hot from pushing it too hard in the hills and I never was able to get it over 50mph coming back up the hills coming back from El Centro.

I can run my truck (diesel) at 1800rpms (65mph) uphill and the truck isn't even working.

If you have to tow thru hills on a regular basis I would highly recommend getting a diesel without hesitation at all.

Fredrik, It doesn't hurt having the "BLING" factor of having the Banks Stage III Power pack system kit in my truck at all!

http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AF01&sysid=SF01
Old     (troublesnomore)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-27-2005, 5:19 AM Reply   
Weigh it at a certified scale and make sure that you aren't exceeding your trucks ratings, you don't want to exceed the weight limits of your truck. Be safe towing as I may be next to you.

This is a great place for towing and trailer info and will answer your questions.
Trailer Boats Mag
http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=944551

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-27-2005, 7:33 AM Reply   
Yeah we are fairly close to the limit, and we are over 100k miles and probably living on borrowed time -- which is why we are considering options. And Bigshow's numbers are the exact ones we have been going by.

At first we thought a V8 1/2 ton truck would be the way to go given the double duty as commuter... But I have yet to be convinced that there are any real advantages of the V8 over V6 as far as durability of the overall package for towing. In other words, IF sticking with a 1/2 ton, seems to me that it may be just as well sticking with a V6 if the only advantage of the V8 is better pickup (again hills aren't an issue around here).

Aki, I would love to see Jess pull into her EPA/NOAA workplace with your rig as a daily driver...hehe.