Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
They say a picture tells a thousand words. I only have one.

Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-18-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
Do they have enough amps? what show is that at?
Old    mendo247            10-18-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
thats unreal!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-18-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
that's crazy!! dammnn!!! but one question is getting to me:

where do you put your gear?
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-18-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Hahaha yeah... soon enough there will be bass boat competitions.. cool but unpractical. Boating = water... Water + electricity and stereo equipment = you tell me..
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-18-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, pretty gay if you ask me. The most difficult part of building a killer boat stereo is keeping some utility in the boat. That thing would be killer for homo's at ski beach, but the rest of us that actually ride. Hmmmm... I'll pass.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-18-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
All that and they couldn't find a better way to mount the ipod? sad.

Its a show boat (no pun intended)....whens the last time you saw a true show vehicle (of any kind) that retained any utility or practicality what-so-ever.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
Well said Evan:

The things that IMO are stupid about this boat is it looks like they took it to a car stereo install shop. And they put no thought into where equipment should go. Now I can forgive a car stereo shop because they dont know boat's. But how could the people at SKYLON give them the ok
to go ahead?????? If they were trying to make a display system that would never see the water well I guess they got what they are looking for.

#1 The amps are mounted in a location that they will get wet. As well as the sub's
#2 They are mounted in a way to take up as much space as possable. As well as the sub's Now I can sort of understand if they wanted to make a display system where you can see the amps,
but the are displaying SONY X-plod amp's its not like they are high end amp's and need to be on display LOL, But serious if you had some super High end amps and your buit some lighted amp rack that showed off the amp's I could understand. These amps are cheep amp's mounted to the floor, LAME.
And Its not like their's that much stereo gear in that boat that they couldnt have made it more functional. I see 4 12's in the back and 1 12 at the drivers feet. The walk threw looks like a battery box.

If there was a little more thought put into somthing like this the boat could have had the same ammount of stereo equipment and still been 100% usable. Someone said "show boat" LOL
I wonder how many people at the show looked at that boat and were just laughing.

(Message edited by grant_west on October 18, 2005)
Old    mendo247            10-18-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
the boat was obivously made to get attention and have people go holy sh*t.. which wether you like it or not im sure everyone at the show stopped to look at it..i would have looked..
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-18-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
if the people over at skylon ever checked out WW they would have known better. If they wanted the real pimp would have taken it to sound illusions!
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-18-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Well said Scott, i second your opinion. Now grant can we get a discount now?? :-)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-18-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
Seriously..... Grant that system you guys put in the Sanger V-215 was killer. The amp rack was sweet. Maybe you guys should shoot Skylon an e-mail with some pics included of a real system.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-18-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
great system if you sit in the parking lot and crank the tunes. Worthless if you intend to put the boat in the water. What a waste of time and money
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-18-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Skylon was talking about putting that boat in the showroom at my work. I hope they do so I can bump the system all day. I do agree though how it would be nice to see it set up to be used on the water.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-18-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
At first I thought wow and I think that's what they wanted, so it worked on me.

Looking a little more closely I now think that everything is just mounted on temporary false floors, so it's more like a fake. I doubt that those subs are in mounted in a decent enclosure. The amps look like they are mounted a some plywood just sitting above the floor. Even the sub at the driver is in a panel that just appears to be placed there.

So, I would guess that the boat could even be on loan and they were told not to cut anything? Just a thought?
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-18-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
With all of that in the boat, who needs ballast? Hey Grant, how much do you figure all of that equipment (speakers, batteries, amps...) weighs?
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-18-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
why didnt they just put a mtx jackhammer it it and call it good?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-18-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
I don't normally step in and slam somebody's stuff but after looking at all the pics, my thoughts were just like Grant....looks like a local car audio install with no insight as to what the BOAT is all about.
That boat and its electronics as installed would not survive one day on the water with my crew.
D out
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-18-2005, 11:50 PM Reply   
But didn't anyone notice the dash mounted head unit. Hope Malibu goes there soon.
Old     (volcomston81)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-19-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Were any of you at the show? Because it actually went over very well. Dont bash unless your heard it. Oh ya and Mr. Sound Illusion those are called 15's not 12's.
Old     (keithro)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-19-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
Why don't you guys throw up some pics of your boats?

The boat sounded sweet at the show, one of the best sounding systems I've ever heard in a boat in fact.

This boat was all about sounding good. Maybe it would have sounded better with a bunch of neon tubes and flames.

Sony co-sponsored the boat and that is why their equipment was used.

Everyone at the show loved the boat, in fact the Malibu people kept coming over to take pictures........

Mad props to the internet haters

(Message edited by keithro on October 19, 2005)

(Message edited by keithro on October 19, 2005)
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-19-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
It so isn't going to work out the way you plan to try and call out "Mr. Sound Illusion" about audio knowledge.

I think most would agree that he does the cleanest installs anyone's ever seen.
Old     (keithro)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-19-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
It's not a practical boat.....thank you captain obvious.
Old    mendo247            10-19-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
i think most of the people bashing are bashing it because its not very practical for most of us who actually board on a regular basis.. as i stated earlier skylon obivously built this boat to get attention.. and im sure everyone who walked by it at the show stopped to look at it.. go to an auto show.. there is always cars, trucks or bikes that are very cool but completly unpractical.. the main purpose of this boat is to get people in the skylon booth to look at other products skylon has to offer.. id say they definetly accomplished this with this project.. it would definetly be impressive to see a company like sound illusions who knows allot about practicality on the water do something like this...
Old     (volcomston81)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-19-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
I think Skylon knows that the boat is not practical. Keep in mind not everyone that owns a Malibu wakeboards or waterski's, there is the party crowd. I am glad that Sound Illusion does the cleanest installs, keep up the good work guys.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   

quote:

It would definetly be impressive to see a company like sound illusions who knows allot about practicality on the water do something like this...

Rich....you can't be serious.I think anybody can do that!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
Im all about turning your boat into a floating party barge, but you dont need to destroy its intended use to do it. I understand making a display boat to ketch people attention I think you just caught the wrong type of attention. I think most people that have a sence of how a boat is used wouldn't want this type of set up even if all they did was party. Do you think most of the people that were looking at the boat and were taking photo's were taking photo's because they liked it and wanted it a boat and system just like it? I bet they were taking photos and looking at it just like people look and take photo's at a car crash on the side of the road. And shaking there head after they left the booth. Sorry for the so called a hate, I call it being honest.
Old     (oldskoolspl)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-19-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Let's not make this boat into something it is not...

We (Skylon) use this boat as our test mule...plain and simple, we use it for weekly testing of new products that we hope to bring to market very soon.

The amps are mounted for ease of switching them out between beta models...the subs in the rear just drop in and can be removed/replaced with varies test boxes... we have tried a lot of different combination of woofers.

Battery box is located in an easy place to add or subract batteries...and try new products like caps, isolators and relay switches.

It just so happened we needed a boat for Expo...so we made her as pretty as we could in the time we had.

The best part...is that we can put her back to stock very easily (well not the deck and screens, but hey we like to watch videos!).

The boat is actually up here in sacramento at Skylon's R&D facility...so if any of you want to get towed around while i test amplifiers and woofers, let me know.

dave@skylonsports.com
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dave ~ testing subs in boxes back there isn't gonna work out b\c they won't go there in a normal application,so you are not getting the right result in the process.As everybody is aware that putting subs in different places will change the sound and the overall quality.

just my .02
Old     (oldskoolspl)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-19-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
got it BE...i put the 15 under the steering wheel for sound (too loud, too close maybe), but the subs in the rear are more of a load for amplifier testing.

One side is a 1/2 ohm load and the other a 2.

keep the suggetions coming...i need them.

dave
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-19-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
cut that back seat up so you can hear those rear subs.

Old    mendo247            10-19-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
big ed ... what cant i be serious about??
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-19-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
Big Ed read your post wrong Richard. He thought you meant build a system like Skylon. I'm thinking you meant it would be sweet to see SoundIllusions build a show boat that shows off how you can get loud and still be practical.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
your quote abour sound illusions do something like this......I can do something like that is all I was implying but now rereading your post I might have not read it properly the 1st time.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
ohh thanks Ryan.It looks like you beat me to it.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-19-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
I love guys like Brian (Volcomston81). Puts the foot right in the mouth the very first time he posts. Kids these days.........
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Dave that makes sence, No use biulding somthing crazy custom when your not even sure if its going to work, I.E "test mule" If thats the case its one nice looking test mule, Sorry if I came off like a jeark I didnt mean to bash someones work. I just thought because it was on display at a show it was someone displaying their install tallent not a peice of test equipment like you said. My bad!

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-19-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
Well, it looks like my second opinion was not so far from reality. It's a floating test bench that was cleaned up for the show, quite nicely I might add.

As for those of you wanting to see Grant put something like this together.. Have you ever been to the Sound Illusions website or seen any of his posts? His innovation and attention to detail are second to none.

I finally met Grant and his wife last Friday night up at Lake McClure. He hung out and served up Video's, Tunes, and some amazingly smooth Tequila to a few of my friends. Everybody was blown away by the BLING-BLING party machine. One of the most impressive aspects of the boat is that it does not look too far from stock until you start looking around. No amps exposed, video screens under the tower mirrors, one W7 under the steering column in a beautiful custom fabricated box, etc.

I would say that everything looks as clean as a factory job, but it doesn't, it looks much nicer than anything the factories could ever put together.

I can usually find something negative to say about somebody's work, the only thing that Grant did wrong was leaving our party too early!

(Message edited by mikeski on October 19, 2005)
Old     (volcomston81)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-19-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
60 Posts= Pro Wakeboarder
Old    byerly137pro            10-19-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
The part that gets me about that Skylon boat, look at the sub under the steering wheel. I dont know if its perspective, but to me it looks like its all the way out. It would be impossible to put stretch your feet out. I know when I drive I like to "lean back".
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
I see a great stereo "build off" in the making, go get em G and let them know what its all about.

Brian- I would quit now before you get in over your head!
Old     (volcomston81)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
I dont think I am getting in over my head. Go ahead and email me at:

brian@skylonsports.com
Old    mendo247            10-20-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
i love this install its crazy over the top.. i love all the work ive ever seen soundillusions do.. lets not bicker over personal prefrences.. remember were all on the same team!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-20-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
I like the effect. It looks cool, but would be extremely un-practical for those of us that ride. When my boat is loaded I take water over the nose on almost every outing. Those amps would be toast the first time out. The carpet gets wet and the moisture works its way into the amps and wrecks them (ask me how I know). Also the storage issue.... hmmm I wont even go there.

Anyway, bash away. When it comes to real sound knowlege there are few that know better than Grant. He's done some outstanding work that leaves the boats totally useable. I also really dig that Malibu that Neptune Audio built. That thing was absolutely sick and was still very useable for what it was intended.... A WAKEBOAT.

Brian, just remember we don't care who you are. You just stepped into a pretty tight community. You have to earn respect around here. Coming on here flaunting your e-mail address is bad press for Skylon. Keep that in mind.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
Well said Evan, we all know what Grant is capable of doing and the respect he has from those of us who know him.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-20-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
very well said
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
To this day I still think this is one of the most impressive Boat Audio systems I have seen

This is WakeWorld's own "Shawn Darnel" This is the system out of his Totota Epic, This system is no longer but like I said I was very impressed. Shawn was way ahead of the curve. He had this system some 4-5 years ago back when I took this photo I had a tiny little system in my Air. When I saw this system I was inspired and thought about all the crazy things you could do with a boat. Its just to bad Rap stars never took up wake boarding because you know this is how they would roll. Even with this crazy system it was a USABLE WAKEBOARD boat, The speakers could take the water and there was even a step made into the center of the box so you could walk over the box and get to the back. The grills were costom made ect this thing was pimp.
And people still talk about it to this day. I would love to do a over the top system for anyone. Bottom line just about anything is possable these day's. Its just to bad you dont have to many people wanting to go huge.

SKYLON need a Big Pimpin system for your next boat show. Lets hook it up!
Old     (oldskoolspl)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-20-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
Please do not think we don't use the mule as a wakeboard boat also...

In fact today we let a wakeboard company use it at the delta for a product photoshoot. We had about 8 people with gear in it(took the woofers out of the back) and towed riders all day while being followed by a chase boat taking pictures.

Evan - the amplifiers are actually sitting on a machined collar that raises them up off the floor about 2.25"...i also sealed the heatsink (from the underside, had to take PCB's out of heatsink) on the amplifiers around the LED indicators...you can pour water on them and they will play...as long as it doesn't conduct between the speaker leads, but that would be so much water, i think the stereo would be the least of my worries at that point.

So far we have not had one problem with the stereo...other than the mud my kids put in the woofer backplate holes...but we don't camp anymore!

dave