Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    djjstylz            10-17-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
Anyone know where there is a place or even if there is a place that can fix/restore trailers? I have a trailer that has a lot of surface rust and you can tell that it just needs to be sanded and repainted or whatever you do to fix surface rust. I sanded down a spot to see how bad it was and it was just on the surface. So, anyone know of a place out in the Ca bay area?
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-17-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
DHM in Sacramento does trailer repair. I just had both fenders replaced, prop cage rollers added, spare tire cage added, and back up lights put on the trailer. They are also able to store your boat while they work on the trailer. However, not sure if they work on trailers other than DHM, but worth a call.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-18-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
About 8 years ago I fixed up the trailer my ski boat was on. I live in the San Jose area and I tried going to a few different trailer places. They were willing to do the work, but for what they wanted I could have bought a new trailer (and probably should have...)

I ended up doing most of the work myself. I rented a slip at a marina for a couple of months and left the boat in the water. Take the trailer home, strip take off the bunks, rollers, lights, etc. Towed it down to a sandblast place and had it sandblasted. I had a little welding to do, which I was able to do myself. Then I took it to an auto paint shop and had it painted.

Painting was expensive. It is a bitch to paint something like that because you have to get the top, bottom, both sides. The overspray is tremendous so you use a lot of paint and it takes a long time. I think it cost around $1000 to have it painted.

I put new springs on, new lights, new bunks, and the trailer was essentially like new again.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-18-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
If you're going to to it yourself, I'd consider having it sandblasted then take it to Line-x. You'll never have another problem with rust after it's been sprayed with that.
I had the fenders sprayed on our last trailer and it worked great, not slippery and dosen't get to hot either.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-18-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Line-X the whole damn thing!

I replaced my bunks and had the entire trailer shot a couple of years ago. I haven't had a problem with rust, rock chips, or scratches since.

Before,

After,

Old    djjstylz            10-18-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
how much did it cost to spay it with Line-X? Sounds like a great Idea.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-18-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
Cost ya $800-1000 but you'll never have to worry about the trailer again.