Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    ldp            10-16-2005, 10:19 PM Reply   
I test drove the Malibu and the Mastercraft this weekend. For a few reasons, I'm leaning towards the MC. The only drawback is that the cruise control system on the MC was pretty bad while the perfect pass on the Malibu was great. The main problem w/ the MC was that the boat would accelerate to about 28 mph before it would finally get to the appropriate riding speed (around 23.) It literally took about 8 to 10 seconds at this high speed and at least 100 yards before it settled. You can imagine that this would be undesireable for new riders or even more experienced riders if you are in choppy water. Any suggestions for making the MC system work better? I saw one thread talk about upgrading the MC system to perfect pass. Has anyone done that?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-16-2005, 11:04 PM Reply   
were you able to try the new 'bu cruise system? i hear it is much better than the mc.
Old    lilredrider            10-17-2005, 3:37 AM Reply   
I have a MC with perfect pass. Does your mc have perfect pass or cruise control? Usually there systems will go as fast as the cruise is set and throttle will allow. So if you are over speeding, you should be able to back off the throttle until the speed stabilizes, then give it the full throttle.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-17-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
You could probably order the boat with Pp if you wish. I have PP in mine, and like bill said, it will speed up to where the throttle is positioned and then back off. Just don't give it as much throttle.
Old    ldp            10-17-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
The 06 X-30 we drove has MC's cruise control and the 05 Vlx has perfect pass. The dealership does not have a 06 Vlx in stock so we had to drive an 05. It just seemed a little ridiculous when the MC's cruise control was on, the boat would speed up to 28 mph and eventually back down to the appropriate riding speed. Also, when coming out of a turn for a double-up the boat would speed up past the set speed of 23 mph. Granted we were in the delta and had to make tight turns so I think the boat was compensating for the tight turn. Does anyone know if the MC cruise control can be ajusted or will setting the cruise control to rpm's vs speed make it better? Other than that I love everything about the boat and wil probably buy it.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
I tried the new Bu Precision pro wakeboard Cruise control yesterday and I have to say that it is ten times better than PP.

1: There are 2 modes for cruise....RPM based and Speed based.

2: the days of going to fast and waiting for PP to adjust the speed are gone. At the bottom of the new module there is a bar with a cut out and above that is a block. All you do is move the throttle until the block is above the cut out. Viola.....at speed without waiting. We were in a very tight canyon and the boat would barely go above the set speed even in turns.

3: The display is big and easier to read....it has a indiglow face (there is a technical name that I can't remember)

4: The speed control is right on the money. Even with lots of weight there is very little fluctuation.

This is only on 2006's

New Precision Pro

(Message edited by rson on October 17, 2005)
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-17-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
I have PP on my 05 VLX and it does the same thing as your test MC does. When I pull someone, I pull back on the throttle when I get to 20mph or so and then ease it up to speed where the PP keeps speed.
I thought it was just part of PP, maybe its a problem with the software.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-17-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
I, too, just recently demoed a MC, and noticed the same exact thing with the MC cruise control. To get the system to lock on at a speed of 21 mph, you had to overshoot the throttle until it reached about 27 before it would settle down and lock at the desired speed. If there's a special trick to doing it please let me know...
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-17-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
Ryan, go to Boat Country in Escalon and test drive an 06 VLX, the "precision pass" is just awsome! The graphical display is in large easy to read characters and just about every feature is within 2 or 3 button pushes. Not to mention it dials in speed almost instantly after the initial pull.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-17-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
do you guys think 'bu will make it available for older 'bu owners as a kit? i think they could keep it strictly a malibu thing by having the only the dealer be capable of installing...i'd for sure buy it.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
I think it is made for throttle by wire setups.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-17-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
weak....

i guess you're right, but i'm sure there could be some type of mod kit available for install...
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
Yesterday was my first drive on a TBW boat. Wow, no more stalling on the 8.1 litre, smooth throttle response, and cruise control is a dream.

No more over powering and waiting on PP to lower to speed.
Old    ldp            10-17-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. So it sounds like some people have driven MCs with this problem and others have Malibus with PP that have this problem. All I know is that the 05 Malibu that I drove was great w/ perfect pass. As for the MC system, it sounds like there are ways to drive it to make it more tolerable but that it will never be a great system. I think I'll look into trying to get perfect pass on the MC.
Rich, what is TBW?
Old     (x2rider)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-17-2005, 11:49 PM Reply   
Throttle By Wire
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-18-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
If I am not mistaken, the PP is the same for all boats.....you buy the interface kit for the proper engine that you are putting it on.

I think it is all in the calibration on the module.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
Is it that boat companies are now trying to make their own "cruise" system instead of the tried and true Perfect Pass. Or is it still Perfect Pass back end and <boat> front end with a fancy name?
I can understand how they would want to avoid paying somebody else for something they can probably do themselves but, it looks like their first attempts aren't as desirable as Perfect Pass.
You'd think that the engine marinizer would come up with something due to their familiarity of the engine and computer control systems.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-19-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
I think it is mostly due to the interface of being able to use TBW. The computer i beleive is directly controlling the speed by signal, eliminating the servo motor...also eliminating the need for a PP system...

maybe I am wrong????
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-19-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
gordons right at least on the mastercraft end, but i didnt even know malibu had a throttle by wire system available?

i like the fact that competition is entering the ring, it will force perfect pass to improve more than just the gauges.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-19-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
Yeah the TBW will be on 06 Bu's.

I took out a 247 with the 8.1 litre vortec. Soooooo smooth. The is no more blank-spot from where the tranny engages and neutral is. Also for those with the 8.1 litre the stalling issue is gone!! It was a little weird at first engaging the throttle, I have become accustomed to feeling the feedback from the wire. Now it is like driving a remote controlled car.

I really did like the precision pro on the Bu. The display was large and easy to read and navigate. I especially liked the throttle position bar on it also. It was real easy to get the boat to speed without over-reving or undershooting.