Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
I hate talking about the price of gas. But it is definitely impacting our sport. It's $4 for regular in Michigan. With promise of $4.50 by June. I was going to have another wake board clinic with Gerry Nunn after last years huge success. I can't get anyone to commit this year because of tight budgets. Trying to set up with a group of guys from work a day or two a week. The only commitment I am getting there is maybe once a month. Asked why...scaling back. So even using someone else's boat. The mention of boarding, already has my friends doing a virtual dipping into their wallets and saying they can't do it. BTW....my friends from work i can assure you make over 65k a year (not including spouse income). So this really is a big deal. There are 5 car pool groups in my department alone...my department is 28 people in all. I'm not preaching and say hey don't drive your boat. I'm just pointing out reality....even though I want to board everyday, the cost of fuel will not let me. And friends who don't own the boat will chip in, but it might not be as often or enough to REALLY help out with the cost. I think the dramatic increase in cost alone..driving a small car, car pooling with others will help, but the psych will still be effected on dropping cash to board this season. Before the $4 a gallon, all my friends were all fired up to board, but now that it has hit that $4 mark, everyone is changing their tune. Has anyone else noticed this shift? Might have to use the PWC this year. Does anyone want to invest in a cable park in Michigan. I am all for it!
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-14-2008, 5:33 AM Reply   
Going out to the cable this morning here in florida. My boat is in the water but the guys would rather pay $20 for a 2hr set at the cable instead of 1-2 sets behind the boat. Oh well, we should consider ourselves a little lucky, I have alot of international friends and they are all paying way over $4 and $5. The dollar is not higher in those areas either. Take one day at a time and we will find a way to overcome this. Seems like we get these bubbles in the economy once and a while.
Old     (nbomzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
Last year we had bags full and however many people out on the boat every time. Well, saturday we went out had a ton of fun didnt fill the bags at all and used way less gas.

The wake was decent with 6 on the boat.

We dont need knee high wake to have fun or go big, look at how they use to ride 10 years ago

HAVE FUN
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-14-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
There are reasons why your international firends pay mroe for fuel, taxed differntly, look at how much they pay in taxes on their fuel. Woudl you rahte rhave yrou taxes on fuel or in your cab;e/phone/electric bill, ect. Pick your posion. When gas hits $5/gallon is when it will really start affecting me.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I think that is the next step Sam. Already A LOT of companies are adding commodity surcharges because the cost of materials going through the roof. all related back to the price of fuel going up. So I honestly believe a tax on those items you listed are well on their way. I definitely think this 4+ will take a lot of people off the water. Real nice day yesterday...only one fishing boat was on 310 acres of water. last year this would not be the scenery on a 70+ degree day. Really Sad.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
if you make 65K a year and can't swing a couple days a week on the boat...with other people to help pay for gas...something is wrong with your budgeting...or priorities...
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-14-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
The way I look at it, it's keeping more boaters off the water leaving more butta for us.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-14-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Im a student and just bought a house, im lucky if i make it out a couple times a month with the price of gas. Although its only 3.75 here right now.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-14-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
hell i make 100k but 100 bucks just to ride is a lot! most people i know have a hard enough time chippin in 20 bucks let alone 40 bucks
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-14-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
You know I dont think the gas prices will ever keep anyone off the lake until it hits a very high amount. I have not noticed any decrease in any boat traffic, if anything I see more boats out then the previous years.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-14-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
it's just now getting close to $4/g around here so thanks to that BS we're going to build a few floating sliders and rock the PWC and the winch a little more this year
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Exactly Soli...well put. That is my comment to Nickbot. I can tell you this..I make well over 65k......I just used that as a base of what I think that is what some people might pull in here. Cost of gas goes up..so do the prices of food, clothes, utilities etc. etc. When you have a family...you start looking at the big picture and start putting away money and prioritizing. So the answer to your question is, yes i most definitely can swing it, and no I do not want to swing it. Or throw money at it as much, when i have to retrain my focus on other increases in other essentials in life. It's a bummer because I absolutely live and love wakeboarding. But when I can not collect 40 per person or feel right about doing so, For me and one or two other people boarding, it costs too much money. Yhea...it's true...you will have the lake to yourself. That is the good part. I think if this trend continues, you will see a lot less boats and a lot less boat companies, especially in the ninche markets like wakeboats. Just look back to the 70's during the gas embargo. there use to be many ski boat companies. It got down to two makers, MasterCraft and Ski Nautique. And Ski Nautique almost went out of business as well in the mid to late 80's. Hobbies are usually the first things to go during tough times. People who make money want to hold onto that larger house, ...they make sacrifices to keep them. This is the logic that people are thinking with this huge life altering change. Two years ago, I didn't think I would be car pooling to work. Not bad, I am kinda liking it now. But man, what a change. It will be interesting to see what happens in a years time!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
In all honesty, I get out about 30-40 times a year behind my boat. I paid 50K for it, and I figure I'll own it for 10 years and sell it to recover maintenance costs and some "interest" on my 50K "investment". That's 400 pulls tops for 50K, maybe double that for total pulls, so I'm talking up front costs of $63 per pull. If each pull eats 3 gallons of gas, the $12 in gas isn't what's killing us boat owners. I am still in disbelief we haven't caught up with other countries sooner. $10 a gallon doesn't sound strange to me at all after traveling internationally.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
good...looks like less boat traffic for me
scott, maybe you need to get a new hobby...or new friends. it's not the oil companies' fault you can't wakeboard.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
Definitely hurting the sport, but is probably better for the common good. As much as I love it, wakeboarding is a sport of excess. Loading down the boat with weight, burning tons of gas, polluting the air and water, all in the name of fun is pure luxury.
Not saying some great things can't come from wakeboarding, friendships made, jobs created, recharging after a tough day. It is a GREAT sport.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Heard it all before in the other 76 threads about gas.

If you don't like it don't ride.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Look at the poll results yesterday here on wakeworld. The question was....would the price of fuel change the amount of wakeboarding you do? The ones that said it would have no effect ...true...it was a respectable number. But the response that said they would do a cutback was still higher in the end. so majority said they are going to cut back. Why are oil companies making huge profits, and we are using almost 25% less fuel than last year? and yet the price of oil jumps up 10 cents more overnight. We will see how much boat traffic there is next year when gas is between 8 to 10 dollars a gallon. That was the last projection I heard. So that would be 400 to 500 dollars to fill the tank. If that's the case...how much will wakeboards cost. Probably not the same as they do today. Oh, and I will be on the water this year.....just not as much. next year, not so sure. Its amazing Nickbot, that you and I have the same career, but a different point of view. You must not have a family is my guess.
Old    kidrik            05-14-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
You won't be boardin' OR paying for gas when you're dead................
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
1. No new gear this year = more riding. If I don't buy new gear in the $500 price range, that = 125 gallons worth of riding. (sorry companies)

2. Cut our the freeloaders

3. No scenic cruises in the boat.

4. More wakeskating, slightly less ballast

5. More cross training for me, by that I mean skateboarding and mountain boarding that cost $0

I know there are many more ways you can do it, but it's the little changes that can add up to keep you riding just as much or more than last year.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
wife, no kids. you can't have it all. sorry about your luck, but you can't blame oil companies for making record profits...isn't that what they are in business for?? oil is ` 125/barrell right now due in part to the weakness of the dollar which is closely related to all the idiots who bought more house than they could afford, took out home equity loans to pay for their hobbies...and can't pay the bills. not to mention that we have painted ourselves into a corner with our reliance on oil...the oil companies have us by the short and curlies and they know it. i have no idea what anyone's financial situation is...but you should examine your lifestye closely and make sure you aren't contributing to the problem. again don't blame gas prices or oil companies for you not being able to wakeboard. Americans need to take responsibility for the current economic situation that they created.
Rik, i see you comment is a play on my quote...but, it doesn't make any sense...
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-14-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
You are not alone scott. people are being affected by the cost of fuel.wether they want to admit it or not steeze and nickbot live in fantasy land. because it effects everybody i dont care how much money you think you have or dont have it will catch up to in the end. "if you dont like it dont ride" has got to be the biggest bunch of BS i have ever heard. the only way you can say that is your mommy and daddy are paying your gas bills. because there is no way anybody that works for their money is happy about paying these outrageous prices for gas.if it not affecting you your part of the problem!
Old    kidrik            05-14-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Nickbot, not at all. I was simply trying to make light of an obviously heated "on-going" debate that will always have both sides represented. Great points by all, however, I try and keep a slight sense of humor about everything. It's what keeps me SANE.......!

Anyway, not directed at anyone, and I can't wait to go riding tomorrow!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
You should invest in oil so when the profits go up you realize some of those profits, a lot of my stock portfolio is in oil, canadian and middle eastern. Hurts less when i pay $70.00 to my car that used to cost 40.00 to fill up.

And yeah if you don't like it don't ride.. it is just that simple, whining about fuel costs on a wakeworld thread isn't going to change the price of gas.

If you wanna play you gotta pay..

I agree with nikbot..

Again all this is Sh@t we haven't heard in all the other threads about gas prices.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-14-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
ya well put kevin! I see it as life expenses in total have gone up this yr by at least 30%. All of the people who say you cant ride when your dead, I'd like to see how much money thier really saving for the future or are they just livin for today? When you have a house payment, car payments, boat payment, food, 401k, gas, and having a life it adds up to fast. I think there are some really spoiled or foolish people on here. I feel it now but what happens when gas hits 5 bucks a gallon. I moved to disco bay just so i can ride everyday but last yr when i could fill up for 60 bucks and now its 90 it matters. Ya you can cut little things but when you have a family you cant be selfish. In gas to work alone its 400 bucks a month. with gas for the boat at 90 bucks a day with 2-3 days a week were talking about a min of 250 a week for that. x 4 is $1400 dollars for gas for my car and boat. Most people i know that ride are die hards and so am i but i am lucky i make good money some are not as lucky and i dont feel right about taking 120 a week from friends in thier early 20's. Theres a bunch of people who are full of shizz! Hell my best friend i ride with didnt take his boat out last weekend cause i had mine out withthe fam and he only had one friend who was able to kick in gas money. He usually will refuse cash as of last yr. and he makes 250k but like most people has a house and a family

so if yoy have gas in your portfolio tell me some numbers most of these companies are 100+ per share even if they go up 10 bucks a share per quater.which is a lot only makes you with a 10k investment in those stocks which is huge for a 28 yr old.... only nets you 1000 bucks after cap gains you have 800 max..... thats barely a months worth of gas. let alone increased food prices,travel costs and everything thats tied to gas which is everything.

(Message edited by deltaridah on May 14, 2008)
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
i save plenty...quit whining...be a man, or sell your boat...
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Its funny how people assume that we must not have our "stuff" together because we have a different attitude.

Perhaps its the other way around...

The end all solution for gas prices and cost of living increases is and always will be...

Make More Money.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Thanks Kevin. Financially I am a good position. I have a fixed 4.75% rate on my 1850 sq foot house. Boat payment is small. Wife is going to school at MSU at the tune of 7k a term. I am not a sad country song. But I am going to be smart and not blow it either. A quadrouple in gas prices in a two year time frame. Something is definitely wrong. If we were going to be @ $4 and better a gallon..it should have happened gradually. Not shock the hell out of people. My parents are retired and on a fixed income. what is going to happen to them. I help feed the homeless every three months. I have noticed their numbers are growing rapidly. Cost of goods is going up...but what are you getting for your cost of living increase at work. There is not a balance. This does not equal a very promising future. I am going to continue to wakeboard, just not as much this year. And it really sucks because that is what I really enjoy. I would love it if there was a cable park in Michigan. I really like what schoolrider said....I am going to blow off the dust on my mountain bike and do more of that this year than the past. I think Kevin your right for saying if the price of gas is not effecting you, you are part of the problem. Why are not more people angry about the price jumping up so quickly?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-14-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Its really only going to affect the weekend warriors, and posers. Real riders are going to find alternative ways to get on their board be it cable, kite, winch, or jetski, etc.

Remember when skating was purely vert? Remember when vert died? All the parks went out and there was really nowhere to get on a vert ramp. Did the lack of ramps make skating go extinct? No, people who truly loved to ride their skateboard found another way. The industry shrank down to almost nothing, then made a huge comeback.

Wakeboarders will do the same thing. When circumstances make it so that getting a pull behind a boat is too taxing, real riders will find another way. The herd will be reduced to the core riders, and as they become skilled at the alternative they have decided on, the young population will be intrigued and it will grow once again.

The people who willl be affected are those who like "the scene" more than they like riding. Boat owners will also be affected only because of their investment going unused.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
plenty of my own money. i have an '88 2001 and a '93 ski nautiqe that are both paid for. i drive a 2002 tacoma and just bought a 1400 sq ft lake house with 20% down and a 30 year fixed rate mortgage. my parents paid for my college and I am eternally grateful. everything since then is on my own.
how many people complaining about high gas prices have homes over 2000 sq ft?? just wondering...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Your a fool if you don't think gas prices will hurt this industry of wakeboarding. Thats what this thread was intended for. Cost to fuel goes up, so do the price of goods. Boat prices will go up because of shipping and the cost of materials used to make the boats. Less boats sold, less people needed to make the boats. So the employment and the wages will not increase. Same holds true to companies who make wakeboards. You guys are right..good less people on the water. Don't you want our sport to continue to grow? Early to mid 90's when tough times came around...PWC industry took a hard hit and has never been the same since. That is a good comparison on what to come. It will not disappear, but it will be a lot less. But this fuel increase and the speed that it is going, WILL MAKE A MESS and it will do it real quick. Maybe things will bounce back in 10 years, that is what economists are saying. How old will you be? and will you still be wakeboarding? Not rippin anyone, just food for thought.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-14-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Don't know of any really big investment houses in Sac town. "Investing in oil curbs your cost"...hope thats not the sales pitch you use w/your clients.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
I think some people aren't that upset about the rising cost of gasoline because they've bothered to look at the economics of the situation. There are entirely too many oil companies on this earth to collude on the level a lot of people think they do. If everyone else is overcharging, someone will see dollar signs and undercut them. Yes, oil companies are making record profits. That happens when there's a much higher demand for your product than there ever has been.

You also have to look at the "price" of a barrel of oil. When someone mentions that price they're talking about the price in futures trading. Right now, there are very few places to put your money and get a decent return on investment. Investors have to put their money somewhere and right now a popular "somewhere" is oil futures. That's impacting the cost of oil as well. I've even seen some speculation that there may be an oil futures bubble going on right now.

Then there's the weak dollar. Kind of makes it hard for the price to stay the same when doing so would mean the price is actually going down.

Am I missing anything? If you really want the price of oil to go down then either supply has to go up or demand has to go down. Complaining won't help. Price fixing won't help. Crap like "windfall profit taxes" won't help either. Oil costs what it does because that's what the world is willing to pay for it right now.

EDIT: Oh, and to stay on topic, I'd personally like wakeboarding popularity to take a dive and some sport like slalom to become popular again. It would be nice to be the only person out there making wake.

(Message edited by hal2814 on May 14, 2008)
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
I'll preface this by saying I'm young and not the most knowledgeable on this subject by any means.

But here's a Q (or 2) for those of you more in the know. I read something recently about the effect hurricanes could potentially play in pushing the price of oil up. The gist being that if some of these tropical storms/hurricanes damage some of the offshore oil rigs putting them out of service - obviously there REALLY will be an immediate short in supply. Do any of you know much about that? Are the primary reasons for rising gas prices coming from the falling dollar and the industrialization of China and India?

- just trying to get more informed.

As far as wakeboarding goes - for my personal situation it really does suck. I graduated August 06' and moved to Charlotte, NC. Took a little longer than I'd hoped to find a decent job - and I spent the better part of the 07' season adjusting to the new job/city, and trying to meet folks to ride with. This year I'm a little more settled and planned on getting back on the water more after having missed a lot of time the past couple of years finishing school and moving to a new city, but at 24 years old I'm not making boatloads of money yet, so gas prices will inevitably affect my time on the water.

Those of you fortunate enough to have a lot of extra disposable income, awesome - the rest of us envy you. In fact here in Charlotte a buddy of mine that works at the MC dealership says they're doing record boat sales. Considering the demographic of the wakeboard industry, I would say there are a lot of us out there (18-30 or so) that aren't willing to, or can't afford to buy new gear every year to support the companies, and I would assume that age range makes up a substantial portion of the customers driving the wake industry.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-14-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Looks like a lot of people missed the title of the thread which was gas prices are hurting the sport of wakeboarding. Remarks like "don't ride" or "great, less boats on the water" puzzle me. We are all fans of wakeboarding so the "all about me" attitudes as far as having the means to continue their hobby and who cares about what is happening as long as it does not affect me is disturbing. I can afford to continue to ride and take my boat out as I please but it sucks that some people can't. Mostly, I would hate to see this growing sport take a dive. recently read an article on the cost of gas prices hurting NASCAR attendance. Gas prices ARE an issue if you care about the grader scheme of things. Having the attitide of "well, it's not affecting me so I don't care" is well....you draw your own conclusion.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Nice post Dante, well said. The falling dollar has a much bigger impact than people think. 1. Falling dollar = having to pay more dollars for a globally traded resource. 2. Falling dollar makes it easier for other currencies to buy oil. 3. Falling dollar makes US investments worth less, people look to other places to invest, typically things that are limited in quantity that therefore hold finite value and or rise against a falling currency. Gold, Silver, and better yet OIL. Oil not only is in limited supply but actually decreasing. It can only go up in value so it is a great bet to stockpile against a falling currency.
Increased global demand, decreased or even just steady state production have some impact but the strongest is the falling dollar. Short term the only way to lower the cost is to reduce consumption globally, or increase production especially domestically. Either way, they only help for a while. No more oil is being made so the price can only go up.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
EDIT: Oh, and to stay on topic, I'd personally like wakeboarding popularity to take a dive and some sport like slalom to become popular again. It would be nice to be the only person out there making wake.

That really says a lot about a person. Sorry but you said it and brought it on yourself. I'm am trying to support OUR sport!

As for supplies.....yhea they need to increase them. why are the OPEC countries cutting output. ILL SAY IT AGAIN..THE US IS USING ALMOST 25% LESS FUEL THAN LAST YEAR. I hope you like the federally regulated speed limit. Because the strive for efficiency new emmissions standards, small light weight cars and the increase of fatalities in crashes...55mph is coming back. That is not a joke. FEDS are looking at ALL recreational activities as well and how to cut back. articles have been on the Drudge and Detroit News within the last two days. If Oil futures are a bubble...then it too will pop eventually. Leaving behind....not really sure.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
NICELY SAID NICKSTER!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-14-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
i'm installing solar panels on my wakeboard tower..
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
honestly, I don't really care if the sport "grows". it could stay exactly the same as it is now and I would still enjoy it. my old nautiques are as good a wakeboarding boat as i'll ever need...same for my '06 LF shane. new gear or anything else associated with wakeboarding "growing" is not really of interest to me...excluding discusssions on this board, of course.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
honestly, I don't really care if the sport "grows". I'd personally like wakeboarding popularity to take a dive . good...looks like less boat traffic for me. BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Why are you guys on a wakeboarding discussion thread? You don't want us on the water with you. You don't want our sport to exist. You don't care about the future of boarding. Do you have friends? And do they wakeboard with you? Or do you ride alone? Do you need a hug? Nickster said it best....this thread is about keeping our sport going with the conflict with gas prices taking a hit on it! If you want the sport to die, maybe you should not be participating on a wakeboarding discussion board. Or are you here to just create conflict? Free Country...do what you want, but seems kinda strange that you want a sport to die and have the lake to yourself and participate with others who's views are just the opposite! You sound like the irritated fisherman who wants you off the lake while they are fishing. Your ruining his chance to catch the big fish.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
what does it mean for the sport to "grow'?? i have a great time riding with my friends and could really care less what anyone else does. i'm on this thread a lot today because i'm really bored. i would LOVE to have the lake to myself all the time...what wakeboarder wouldn't??
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-14-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
come visit the mountain lakes of idaho.. you will never want step foot in the delta again.. miles of butter and very little traffic.. i think a lot of the frustration with this board/threads comes from the overwhelming sense of entitlement we carry as wakeboarders.. everybody wants the best water but nobody wants to share. we are spoiled in idaho and last time me and my wife and our girls visited the delta, it was a joke to say the least.. can't believe what you guys put up with! so yes, i understand your frustration.. but at the same time, it is there for all to enjoy and for the progression of our sport.. so maybe try to keep that in mind when "you think" you are the only one that deserves to be on any stretch of good water, or move to idaho..
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
grow..new friends..new riders....more advancement in boards because a cash flow continues to buy. Come on Nickbot, I thoughtyou might be a smart guy. You don't know the mechanics of Capitalism? If everyone was ok with their 2002 Hyperlite product. Does not need that new design, lighter board etc. etc. No more money for Hyperlite. No new riders allowed to learn the sport..another hit for Hyperlite..no new rider buying their product. If Hyperlite does not get a good cash flow..they can not go on making the boards..or as many...or with new materials...eventually the pot will dry up...bye bye Hyperlite, or LF, or Ronix...a domino effect. Less demand..less companies..less riders equals the downturn to a sport. Skiers and ski boats went through this. Why do you think it is not real popular sport today? maybe on an upswing something else will become popular like wakeboarding did. It revitalized watersports...creating new product from boards, boots, shirts, styles, sunglasses,shorts,and EVEN BOATS! The Oil embargo put a damper on a lot of things..this will too...thus History repeats itself. NO GROWTH! Just a stagnet decline!
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
i'm bored, but not bored enough to continue this discussion...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
NICE!!!!!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
There was still plenty of progression in wakeboarding back when it was a niche watersport. There were also plenty of manufacturers of equipment. I just happen to fondly remember back when slalom was king. We were out there trying out our rather revolutionary twin tip board. There were 5 other boats regularly in our cove but since they were trying to make as little wake as possible and were moving faster than we were, it was no big deal. I don't think I have some right to calm water. It would just be an added plus if the next big thing in watersports involved making as little wake as possible. Maybe behind a pontoon boat?

Besides, I thought the topic of this post was how gas threads are killing our sport. I agree.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
"i'm bored, but not bored enough to continue this discussion..."

"NICE!!!!!"

Ha Ha Scott, agreed. What a way to go through life. Life is all about me and screw everyone else. I don't see how any one else affects me, I don't want the sport to grow, I don't need any innovation. I did it all and no one else brought anything to the table.
Right, because if the sport had never grown we'd all still be standing up on kneeboards or strapped onto a piece of plywood having a grand time behind the fishing boat. Growth = Innovation, not that complicated.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-14-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
I thought you don't care if it grows, then why do you care if anyone is killing it?
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
you guys are lame...and killing our sport...and i'm glad...
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
prices on boat bun are going up and ruining our sport :-) hence no Reef Girl
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-14-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
I dont think its that bad..... my friends and I use about 11 gallons a day at 4 dollars thats 44 dollars. Split 4 ways is 11 dollars a person. I usually ride twice a week. Thats with 2000lbs of ballast and at least 8 sets. I dont know what you people are doing to waste a tank a day.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
I just wanted to make it clear......I was not throwing numbers to flaunt my paycheck.....I am trying to make a statement that the price of fuel is effecting everyone...not just the poor dude that is paying for college, or the guy that is working retail, relying on a commision check. Been there in those positions. It would suck being in those positions while OPEC continues to jack us. And yes they most certainly are. I finally made it to a decent paying job...and now getting shoved back down by the price of fuel. It is a rip and I am not the only one that feels that way. I know the guys I car pool with are making close to the same wage....and they don't want to pay the ridiculous price either. WE ARE NOT CAR POOLING TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT. We just hate the price of gas. BTW...I have an awesome 2008 V Star motorcycle for sale. Car pooling now.....I never get to use it! Anyone interested?
Old    kidrik            05-14-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
And that's all folks..............
Old     (skink)      Join Date: May 2008       05-14-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
"Its really only going to affect the weekend warriors, and posers. Real riders are going to find alternative ways to get on their board be it cable, kite, winch, or jetski, etc.

Remember when skating was purely vert? Remember when vert died? All the parks went out and there was really nowhere to get on a vert ramp. Did the lack of ramps make skating go extinct? No, people who truly loved to ride their skateboard found another way. The industry shrank down to almost nothing, then made a huge comeback."

well to be fair, ANY dude can hop on a skate and go shred a set of stairs with ZERO cost. if there was an expense free way to wakeboard heck i'd be first in line.
i think we need to start seeing more cable parks. i've never even seen one in person (being from southern alberta and doing all my riding in montana), but i think that where the price of gas is at (AND where it's headed) a cable park sounds much more appealing.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-14-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
First I have never even seen a cable park but they just don't seem the same. There is a mystique that comes with the whole boating experience. Dont get me wrong if there was a park near me (Tracy CA) I would go for sure.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 4:52 AM Reply   
A cable park would be cool alternative. But Newj hoser is right. It probably is not the same as behind a boat. I have a PWC as well, but yet again, it is not the same either. The news said last night we will see $5 in July this year. 4.50 in June. Luckily I had a full tank when putting the boat in storage last year and I have not dropped it in yet this season. So there's a plus. I'm the kind of person that does not like asking for gas money. if it was offered, I would thankfully accept. But this year I might ask for money for fuel but also include the amount needed. Talk about awkward! I use to spend my money and teach people to wakeboard and feel great about it. Now if I teach someone, I have to charge them and probably charge them a good amount with all the spills, stop and starts that it will take. But according to some on here....I should not be teaching them because they want the water for themselves and do not want the sport to grow or survive. I agree. the skateboarding is not a good comparison. You can do that more in different places. Wakeboarding is restricted to the water behind a gas guzzling boat that will always cost money. I think sports like biking and skating boarding will grow huge this year because they don't require fuel. Big Difference!
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2008, 4:55 AM Reply   
If you have the money to buy a $60-80k boat, you should have enough to afford the gas. Otherwise it's time to re-work your budget.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
Not everyone spent $60-80K on a boat. I spent 24K. Likes I was saying...If you bought a new truck, you should be able to feed it. When you buy a truck new in 2004....gasoline was $2 a gallon. Now it's double. 4 years ago I might have not bought that truck or that boat if I knew that gas was going to cost $4+ a gallon. So what you are saying is not even a fair statement. I mean really how many of you out there...when you bought your boat...maybe you did spend 60K knew gas was going to be this much. Would you have bought a 60K boat if you knew $4 was coming...or would you have settled for a boat that was 30 to 40k. you can not pin the price on a boat and the cost of the fuel not knowing the future price of oil would jumped exponentially. Who Knew? Says it all! Like I mentioned before...the cost of fuel would not be a big deal at $4 a gallon if it did it gradually over time. People can adjust...but this...this is a Shock to most for the time frame that it has taken. and now $5 in July. Two dollar jump in one season. I guess we have better listen...because the economist are saying between $8 and $10 a gallon this time next year. They said $4 last year and it never happened until this year. I think most people were hoping it would not get there, but it did. And so will the 8 and 10 dollars a gallon. Is anyone upset that fuel will cost that next year?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
"But according to some on here....I should not be teaching them because they want the water for themselves and do not want the sport to grow or survive. I agree."

See? I knew we'd get you on our side eventually :-) I do think you're taking some things way out of context though. It's public water. Do what you want and have fun doing it. I just wouldn't cry myself to sleep if the next big thing allowed Mastercraft to dust off their "What wake?" slogan while wakeboarding went back to a surviving but maybe not mainstream niche.

And to return the favor, I have to agree with you on buying a gasoline-powered item without knowing the price of gasoline would jump so high so fast. Who budgets that much of a cushion for fuel expenses? I could easily see someone a few years back buying a $60K boat thinking that the relatively flat gas prices over the last decade or so before that would remain that stable. Maybe the boat was a little bit of a stretch but still left the buyer with a reasonable budget afterwards? Now they're in a bit of a pickle. It all depends on your margins in your budget.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
Dante.....my guess...just a guess! From the people I have talked to are in that situation that you mentioned about budgeting. I think that is why this will be a downer for our sport. That is all. Gas was a lot less just a couple years ago. But with the cost of fuel going up so do the cost of other goods. Boat service will go up, cost of parts will go up( metals, foam, vinly(oil product). All this stuff will go up. What cost 60K now...will be more like 85k realistically within two years. Insurance cost will go up because material prices and liability. So the big picture is just not Fuel...but fuel is the root. That's why this truly sucks. I know my cost of living increase this year will probably be the same as it was last year..so essentially everyone is taking a paycut at the same time. Unless your employer acknowledges it (highly doubted). Live Life and have Fun, but don't put yourself in a extemely difficult situation in doing so.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-15-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
Skating is a good example of how core riders adjusted their riding. Tony Hawk was on top of the skating world in the 80's. He was making tons of money and on magazine covers. When the 90's arrived and skating died, he was doing exhibitions at 6 Flags for $100 a day!!! Why did it die? It was all focussed on vert. When the "Era of Liability" occured in the US, vert ramps became hard to come by, and skating died. However, real skaters took it to the streets. No it doesnt offer the same big air that vert does, but they molded their passion into what was available. Now skating is huge, but it aint all about vert. Its all about the street course.

Wakeboarding will do the same thing. Those guys who are into riding their board, will find different ways to ride their board. The people that are into the peripherals will walk away.

If you like to hang out on the boat with boarders and enjoy their vibe, and take the token set, your opportunities are gonna become less and less frequent. If you truly love to ride your board, you will find another way to do it.

Scott L, how much do you think wind costs?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-15-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
Why is it assumed every wakeboarder has a $60K boat?!?!!?!? Yea, if you can afford a new one you should be fine, but if you're rocking an oldy (2001, old MC, old Supra) you're more than likely not exactly in a financial situation where you can throw money at your boat. Wakeboarding includes people of all different types of demographics, which is good, but the attitude that if you can't afford it, screw you/ you're screwed is just pathetic. I just don't get when the "average" wakeboarder became someone who affords a $60K boat........
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Thanks A-Dub....you got it exactly. When you look at the entire population of boarders out there. I think you will find a lot of them do not use a 60K boat. I have a descent income, but I am still effected by the cost of fuel and so are my co-workers. That is why we are car pooling. it is a life altering change we have decided to do based on fuel prices. My guess is boating will be altered to, especially as the price heads towards 5 8 and 10 per gallon of gasoline. How could it not have an effect on our sport. Time will tell. Jason G we have had this discussion in another thread...michigan has MANY lakes. most of our lakes are in low lying area's...makes sense. Most lakes have many trees around them. Thus no wind or at best very inconsistant. Some lakes yes..you can wind surf and all that..but it cost gas to get to those locations that are more remote. Just depends on geographical location. I am sure kite boarding is a blast...but not everyone can do it. Think about the people in Indiana and places like that. I dont think they are close to places you can kiteboard. And if they wanted to...they would have to drive really far. Skateboarding like you mentioned took to the streets....wakeboarding...you just can't do that. I am truly lucky to live in Michigan..plenty of places to ride. Just need a cable park. but that is highly doubted because of the seasons. why can only CORE people enjoy a sport...why segment the ability of a person. That's just stupid. I'm sure if board companies read this thread they would be upset with comments like that. Bye bye business.....and bye bye sport.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-15-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Its not about ability, Its about interest. Some people love to ride their board so much, that they will do it with strangers, or on a crappy boat, or behind a jetski, or behind a winch, or on choppy water, or on a kite, or on a cable. They do not care as long as they get to put their board on and go push themselves on the water. Those are the core guys no matter what their ability level.

There are others who like riding ok, but are much more about the scene, or being on the boat, or being at the event, or being on that road trip, or being in that crowd. Those guys will really be affected. Those guys will lose interest when all those things fade.

I understand kiteboarding may not work for you at your current location. However, a winch might. A Jetski might. Or, you may decide you like riding so much that you move south to God's country. Who knows? The point is, that those who really love to ride their board are going to find other ways to ride it, and the sport will evolve and move on.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-15-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
jason G is eloquent enough to make the point i was trying make yesterday...even with high gas prices, i will still find a way to ride and progress. the "other guys" losing interest means more good water for me and for that i'm glad.
yes, i am bored again today.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
I'd rather be broke as a joke and ride, than sit on the couch looking at my bank account.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-15-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Gas will affect this sport and all motorized sports soon. I have a 6k 86 supra which will see the lake very little this year. As gas prices go up my salary basically goes down b/c you have to get gas so the extra money for gas is that much less for the old boat. I love being on the lake and if gas hits 8 to 10 bucks a gal i will be enjoying the lake from the shore and my boat will become a dust collector b/c i will no longer be able to afford to anything but goto work. Boarding, skiing, snowmobiling, atv, or whatever will all be affected. Maybe some of the people will be who make big dollars will not feel the pinch until it hits the 8 to 10 dollar mark, but for people like me and a lot of the us pop are feeling it now. I try to get as little gas as possible, drive as easy as I can and as less as i can to conserve what i can to keep some pennies in my pocket.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
three words everyone:

Gas and Go
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
THAT WAS A JOKE.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
ok. good point about core. But for those who want to learn and are interested might think twice because they can not afford it. 10 years ago....i made much less...and i did wakeboard. But the price of the sport was affordable. Started with a PWC (not the same ride as a BOAT) New riders or new boaters will be the thing of the past with the cost going up. Thus population will dwindle which is good for Nickbot. I never really tested or thought of myself to be CORE. but I guess I would put myself in that categorie since I usually start in march and end my season in November with a drysuit. Occassionly I will participate in a Polar ski event. But the cost will keep EVEN some Core people from boarding as much. Not completely off the water...but not as much! it's not just fuel.. I guess you can say Fuel starts the flame (many other expenses), but can you really afford the fire? or would you rather put out the fire and get off your butt and write your congressman! Good points Snippy. It's going to suck living on the water and not being able to play in it as often. I have an ATV, Motorcycle, PWC. All of it will take a hit this year and maybe years to come. We will be forced to save gas by buying small cars. Fed is talking to lower speeds back down to 55mph for consumption savings and safety reasons with these lighter smaller auto's. nation Highway safety is pushing because of the fatality rates going up in crashes with small cars. Welcome back 70's and early 80's.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-15-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
how about dig a tunnel under the gas station and tie into the gas tanks and run a line to a secret pump.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
A-dub - I'm one of those people rocking the old school 2001. I'm not wealthy, but I dont' plan on decreasing my usuage. It really seems like this thread got away from our sport and is talking about the cost of living in general. At least on my engine, we'll go through about half tank at most for a day out w/ 3-4 people taking sets. That's 14 gallons, ~$55. If we all went to the movies instead, that's at least $40 total assuming no one buys anything. Overall, it costs money to do things. Personally, I feel much better after a day on the lake versus seeing a movie.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Cost of living impacts your extra activities. Including Movies. Less Movies, less Wakeboarding. I know what your saying with the comparison's. What is really scary now...when I go to a marina or store...hmmm those are nice board shorts...only $70....hey I can buy those..that's less than a tank of fuel I really didn't mean for this thread to stir people. But some things had been said that boiled me. Like good less people...or..now I have the lake to myself. To me...those words are not cool. Just remember...some people on here....this dramatic price jump could keep them off the water and thats just not cool. Everyone has the right to be out and enjoy. For some..makes no difference, for others a cut back in usage and unfortunately for some no way. Its feed my kids an pay for the house. So try to be a little more sensitive. I'll never stop wakeboarding...might do it less this year..maybe even less next year(depending on prices) hey if my work gives me an appropriate increase to reflect the uptick in cost of living ...maybe I will be on the water as much...if not more. Meanwhile...people do have the right to be upset with how this increase is being handled and how quickly its coming on.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Whatever happened to all that oil that we started the war for again? When's that kicking it to help out the high gas prices?
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-15-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
no one has the "right to be out an enjoy". we all need to remember that wakeboarding is a luxury.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-15-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
That is a very objective point of view, that can be said about anything and everything in America as compared to other countries.
Old     (toemas)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-15-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
i say just sack up and pay it, nothings going to change for the better anytime soon, if you want to wakeboard then wakeboard
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding is not a luxury....it's a fricken SPORT! Do you have any idea how Pompus "Luxury" sounds. I just got done saying this thread is not to stir up arguments. Geez, get a clue! Free Country..."everyone has the right to be out and enjoy"
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-15-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
since when is a boat not a luxury item?? every one has the right to the "pursuit" of hapiness...no guarantee of hapiness...read the f'n declaration of independence before you spout off about free country...and lose the entitlement attitude that wrecked our economy...and stop whining about high gas prices...
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       05-15-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
A boat yes may be considered a "luxury item." Then again, you have to look at it from this point. I love seeing people out on the lake with a tri-pod on a fishing boat having a blast just because they are on the water. Even moreso, when a video is posted with somebody with a pickup truck and a rope wakeboarding in ditches or winching a puddle. I think that is awesome. Those are prime examples or dealing with what you have. Those are prime example of people loving our SPORT! Not just basking in their luxuries!