Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-13-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
does anyone know?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-13-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
San Diegohttp://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/elcap.shtml
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-14-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thanks Bro ,
Has anyone been there ?never been,one of the few place's I'v never Rode in Low Cal.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
I have been there a bunch, but am not thrilled about it (compared to San V), although seeing how it is soon to be our "only" lake, I guess I should change my attitude. The arm is the best water, but the lake raised the boat limit from 40 to 120, so get ready for the crowds. Get there early for good water. PWC's are allowed only in their designated area, so they are not a problem. Their days/hours change all the time, and with San V closing, who knows what the days/hours will be. Hopefully they open up a few more days. Check the web site for the latest schedule.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-14-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
guy is having an event with 91X and he doesn't even know where the lake is, go figure.

put the pipe down for once Moose.

Can I demo one the HIGH ENERGY RIP STICKS with Butter Wraps if I show up there?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
Back before everyone thought that San V was closed(!), on mornings when we were late to San V & there was already a line, we'd drive right by and head to El Cap (I'm not good at waiting in lines). Getting to El Cap around 9AM, there was normally hardly anyone there yet. We'd get in a couple of hours of decent water and be leaving about noon. This will no doubt change without San V.

Sure hope the city comes up with a wakeboard/slalom park at El Cap or possible Otay opening. Once you get used to the "park" it's hard to go back.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Pretty crazy how they raise their limit. Gonna be crowded. Pretty lame that a county of over 3 million people has "ONE" (soon to be, anyway) lake that will allow water contact.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
Buzz, I'm with you on the stupidity of "one" lake.

Seems like word was brewing about something on Otay. Heard anything?

I also have heard more than several times that the pipeline construction was WAY behind and that there might not be a reason to close San V. so soon. It might close due to lake levels then re-open next year. Then again, this could be total bull...
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
I have heard rumor about Otay, but nothing solid yet. As far as the pipeline, I was told that the dam raise and the pipeline are both separate. The dam project can go ahead and start even if the pipeline is behind. Just what I heard.

Either way, the lake IS going to close, if for no other reason, they keep pumping water out, and it will be below the ramp very soon. We should all put our efforts into getting another lake opened up.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Just let me know. I stand ready to write letters, make phone calls, go to meetings at the drop of a hat. Friends to bring with too.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-14-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
If someone here has time to put together a "rent the whole lake weekday" at El Cap, I might be up for it. I'll bet others would. I think it's still $750 for the first 8 hours. I've wanted to get a group of people and boats together and rent it out, but I couldn't find enough people who were willing to take a weekday off work, had boats, had they cash, and agreed on the timing... I've ridden there before when we were the only boat in the water and it's pretty nice... not as good as the Carslbad Lagoon, but nice and warm and sunny and fresh, and you have it all to yourself.. no power turners or tubers to worry about.

They told me it doesn't have to be a formal "event" thing to rent the whole lake. As long as all boats have the required insurance, you're good... more details below.. but contact them for up to date details and an application if you're interested.

================================================== ======

"We only rent it out on days that it is closed to the public which are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. However, we already have one group that has rented it every Wednesday from July 9 through Sept. 24 which pretty much only leaves Tuesdays.

Attached are the rules and costs for renting the lake and an application in case you are interested:

San Diego City Lake Rental Rules

· The fee for renting a lake is $750.00 for the first eight hours, plus all standard launching and fishing or skiing/wakeboarding permits. If event goes longer than eight hours, there will be an additional charge of $100 for each extra hour or part.

· Maximum number of vessels is determined by the type of activity, the reservoir to be used, and water level.

· Time starts after the first boat is launched and ends when the last vehicle has exited the facilities.

· Organizations must provide a certificate of liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 combined single limit. The City of San Diego must be named as additional insured. Certificate should be mailed to San Diego City Lakes, 12375 Moreno Avenue, Lakeside, CA 92040-1135, or faxed to (619) 443-7681 at least one week prior to the event.

· All events must have a representative (Event Director) on-site and readily available to our staff throughout their events. Should you or participants in your event engage in activities that violate federal, state, or local rules/ regulations, or are considered unsafe, you as the Event Director will be asked to take appropriate action (i.e. warning, etc.). Failure to fully accept responsibility for the conduct of event participants and address violations/issues may result in termination of the event and disapproval of requests for future events.

· In the interest of public safety and future events, it is your responsibility to ensure that all participants operate their boats in a safe manner.

· All California Boating rules and regulations must be observed. Violators may be ejected from the reservoir and/or cited.

· Checks should be made payable to San Diego City Treasurer, and given to lake staff prior to the conclusion of the event. One check can be written for the event fee and permit fees."

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/elcap.shtml
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
Damn! I'd be up for sharing in that. I have at least two friends each with boats that would also.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-15-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
im in as well, 10 boats would be ideal.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
The insurance policy is the issue. Some of us may have $1MM liability on auto policies but for one person to put it up for the whole lake full of boats. might be tough. M2O has talked about renting the whole lake before. I'll bring this up again with Neal/Ian.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-15-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
I thought everyone already knew about renting the lake out for the day. That's what makes El Cap cool... and I've heard that's the only thing that makes it cool... Anyway, somebody would need to spearhead the effort, and personally, I'm way too busy right now... figured I'd try again next summer.

I'm pretty sure that all you need to do is call the city up and have them get you the most recent information and application, then you have to make sure everyone participating adds the "additionally insured" clause to their boat insurance and faxes them a copy well in advance. Most people probably already have the required liability limit, and most insurance companies don't charge for adding "additionally insured" to the policy.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-15-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Andy, you should call the city first and ask for clarification on the insurance before you try to get M2O to sponsor it. An M2O event would be cool, but we can do a low key thing with just wakeworlders also. I'm pretty sure that anyone carrying a 1 million per incident liability clause can just add the "additionally insured" to their existing policy. We used to have to add the "additionally insured" and have 1 mil at the Carlsbad Lagoon under the previous owners, and it didn't cost anything extra for me. It was just an extra step. You would just have each person fax the city their policy info seperately... no big central policy.

(Message edited by Monkey on August 15, 2008)
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-16-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
ONCE AGAIN THIS IS NOT MY EVENT,All I do is a call in on 91X, every Fridays @ 7;15 on Horse racing,if it was my event ,We'd be down @ Da Lagoon
hairguy: I know of spot you wish you can ride.