Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (daltonhouse)      Join Date: May 2006       11-13-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Hey Team

Need some help. Summers just starting down here in Australia and I've been Wake Surfing most weekends of late. My riding ability is progressing pretty well but I can't nail a 3.

I've watched quite a few vids and read up as much as I can in an effort to teach myself. I get the rotation completely around about 80% of the time but I normally fall out the back or lack speed to keep up.

I ride a Phase 5 Oogle behind a 210 so I'm pretty sure the Wake and Board combo shouldn't be a problem.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
Are you for real??? Your in AUSTRALIA and you are asking about "wake" surfing??? You have some of the best surf in the world and you are riding behind a boat... I noticed you're not talking to many locals about this, and what ever you do don't hunt down Mick Fanning for help, he would only bust you over the head with a bottle of Fosters and ask WHY?????

Are you doing surface 3's or cutting up the wake and spinning? Dragging a hand, riding with/without fins? What part are you hanging up on? Sounds like if you get a lower center of gravity and drag a hand in the water that should help with balance and not getting too much on your back foot.

Do you do any "REAL" surfing???
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
he probably likes the fact that you don't have to paddle, you can listen to tunes, drink a brew and the wave never runs out. Not bad if you ask me.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-13-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
and not all of Australia is coastline.
Old     (daltonhouse)      Join Date: May 2006       11-13-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Yeh I usually surf but my Kangaroo broke a leg last week so I have no way of getting to the beach for a while !!!!

I live 90 minutes drive from the ocean !! Driving 90 mins, paddling your butt off half the day, arguing all day over who's wave it is and waiting 30 minutes between sets aint everyones "day of joy". Attached a photo of the river we ride on just so you can see there isn't any ocean near by.

To answer the questions

- Cutting up the wake and spinning
- 1.5" fin
- No hand in (sounds like a good idea but I didn't so it because I thought it would slow me down more)

Will give it a go. ta

image/x-citrix-pjpegUpload
DSC00473-1.jpg (137.3 k)
Old    4sher            11-13-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
We put a bunch on new vids on the Inland Surfer website that show various tricks. They may be of help. www.inlandsurfer.com
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-13-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
tried a buddies phase 5 this last weekend ( i ride a walzer) and noticed a big differnce in "feel"...

this was mostly due to the rear traction pad and front traction bar. you might want to add one to shift your weight to your toes..
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       11-13-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
Australia! thats sick!.. wakesurfing all over the world!..when i was learning my 3s i had the same problem. i would fall out the back everytime. i fixed it by dropping myfront sholder in towerds the wake after the rotation and also a lot of presure on my toes and front foot. good luck. and let me know if that helps.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-14-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Charlie - I was just giving you a hard time, more because I'm jealous. I'm landlocked in Kansas City and try to get to the ocean to surf as much as I can. I keep telling my wife that our next vacation is going to be to Australia and I' buying (2) one ways and (1) round trip, because my son and I are going to stay and she has the option to go back to the states or stay with us.

Catching your hand in the wake will help you spin faster and will keep your center of gravity lower (also keeps your shoulder down like Mike said).

Most of my trips for surfing have been to Mexico, but if I ever make it down there I will have to catch a wave behind your boat, and one 90 miles away from you.

Take it easy...
Old     (daltonhouse)      Join Date: May 2006       11-15-2006, 2:41 AM Reply   
No worries Jamie, all good. If you ever make it over here I'm sure you'll love the place and so might your wife !!!!

Unfortunately not riding this weekend but hopefully I will update this post sometime in the next few weeks saying "Thanks for the tips, I got it"