Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-12-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
I am going to Costa Rica in a few wks with my brother. Does anyone know if there is any wakeboarding there?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
where are you planning on going in Costa?
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Jenny I will be down there in a couple of weeks myself. Finding someone with a boat is difficult but not impossible. most likely you will get pulled behind an I/O in the ocean. Not the best conditions. Trust me, put the wakeboard away. My last couple of trips have been 3 weeks each, and it is still not enough time to see everything. Enjoy the incredible national park system in Costa Rica. If you want to board, fly there with a stopover in florida for a day or two.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
Troy btw I'll be here (in CR) till xmas.

I have been here since the beginning of august and have yet to strap on a wakeboard. I have surfed a lot though. I did bring a wakeboard here from the US for a friend who has a boat. I could have ridden yesterday, but I opted for surfing instead. I can ride in perfect conditions every weekend in FL but the surf there isn't as good.
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-12-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
My brother is kayaking for 10 days then I am going to meet up with him for a weak. We were thinking of Jaco but would love any ideas of cool places to stay.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-13-2007, 4:06 AM Reply   
Up by Arenal volcano there use to be a wakeboard/waterski camp. also, there are some really cool hot springs up near Arenal, Tabacon(?)
In that same area there are some cool rain an cloud forests.

I like the tamarindo area as well,including playa flamingo,playa grande,lil hawaii, lots of cool surf spots,neat beaches, also did some sea kayaking there, we went into some sea caves in the cliffs, pretty cool !

there's so much to do and see there, rent a dirt bike and go explore,do a tree top canopy tour on a zip line, go to quepos and wade across a lagoon to a park on an island, Maunal Antonio(?)......
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-13-2007, 5:16 AM Reply   
Tamarindo is having big problems right now with their sewers and a lot of their waste is ending up in the ocean. i.e. I wouldn't go there at the moment.

If you want to be in the Jaco area, and have a car I reccomend staying down in Esterillos, and then head to Jaco on day trips if you want to go to the restaurants and perhaps surfing if the waves are too big in Esterillos/Hermosa area.

If you want to wakeboard, are you bringing a board/vest/rope or would you want that to be included? If you bring it, you probably could talk some local guy into pulling you in the ocean. Near to Jaco, Punta Leona can have fairly calm water.

There is a lot of stuff to do in any of the big tourist spots, it all depends what you are looking for out of your vacation.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-13-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
Getting boats into Costa Rica permanently is expensive. My dad rehabbed a 26' SkipJack, and drove it from Cali to Playa de Coco ( story in and of itself) Getting the boat licensed down their was a pain. I would not imagine there are many wakeboarding boats down there. Arenal is wicked windy this time of year. 40 knots+ is common. 3.0m windsurfing sails and 4m kites for the kiters are the rule.