Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2003, 5:20 AM Reply   
A friend of mine has a 2000 Malibu Sportster with the 350. When we are running the boat across the lake everything is fine, but when we stop - or slow down, a massive amount of water comes into the boat from the shaft area. I've heard it's only a bearing seal or something like that,has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
Old    damnation            06-06-2003, 5:26 AM Reply   
What's up Ted? Long time no see. Sorry I didn't make it for the Derby, but I was working in NJ at the time.

The boat needs the shaft packing replaced. The dealer will sell him the right stuff, just tell him what you need. You can do a search here and find plenty of info on shaft packing and adjusting the locking nut.
Old    amixman            06-06-2003, 8:43 AM Reply   
let it sink just kidding..
try tightining up the packing 1st usaly just beond hand tight till u get a drop every 10 secs or so, the water lubes the packing seal.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       06-06-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
If it is a "massive amount of water", I don't think it is the packing. If the packing nut is totally removed, you will still not get "a massive amount of water" - you will only have a slow leak (like a water faucet on about 1/5 of the way)
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
Hey Dave, you going to Boardstock this year? I didn't make the Derby either. I live in Tampa Florida right now, riding everyday until the boat started sinking...We only get a massive amount when we have the fat sacks,fat seat, the wedge, and over 4 people in the boat. Its not as much water when everything is empty. Still think thats the problem? Sounds like an easy fixI hope.
Old    damnation            06-06-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'll probably be at Boardstock again. How long does it take to fill with water? It could be a fresh water coolant line that has come off or something like that. If you put it in the water, you should be able to see where the water is coming in from. If it were the coolant line, it would fill up REALLY quickly. Are you sure that none of the sacks has a tear in it?

Tampa huh? Lucky dog!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nah, we stripped the boat of all the sacks. It runs good then and only takes on a little bit of water without the weight.Coolant line? If only it were as easy as hooking a line back up. I didn't see anything like that, we crawled all over that boat. We were just hesitant to break the seal on the shaft cover to take a look.

You should come down and ride, water is a little warmer here than the Delta, after the boats fixed - of course....
Old    damnation            06-06-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Well, since you're in Tampa, I guess it wouldn't be that your bud forgot to put the freeze plugs back in. I'm still betting on the shaft packing. Has it ever been replaced on that boat? Also, try checking the nut first as mentioned above, but it is probably time to be repacked anyway.

I wish I could come down there. Work is keeping me WAY too busy.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
I'll be repacking tommorow. I was sent here by my company. It sux that they expect me to work down here though, they should just pay for me to ride..
Old    damnation            06-06-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
Good luck with that! When they start paying you to ride, can you let me know who to send my resume to?