Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-19-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Ok I know this is been beaten to death and I’ve already done my searches but I want some opinions on my proposed setup. This is all going into a ’07 X-Star. Coming from my ’04 I can honestly say I’m impressed with the JL Components in the boat. As for the sub well you know…. Anyhow the whole point is that I just want to upgrade to a different sub setup, and look into my tower options. On the subs I was thinking 2 12w6v2’s both in sealed boxes. One in the stock location and one under the dash (not mounted to the fiberglass of course). Powering these with a JL 1000/1 or possibly even 2 500/1’s to be more flexible. I’ve also looked at RE and Alpine, but for every recommendation I read for either I see 2 for JL. I would love to save some money but if it’s a matter of $100 I would rather go with JL reputation for quality.

The tower is fine as is (2 pairs of factory MC/JL Cans) but if I’m freeing up a couple of channels taking the sub off the factory setup I wouldn’t mind adding another set of something tasteful up there. I am reluctant to go the HLCD route just out of consideration for the demographics in the area we ride (young families) and occasional racier music choices of mine.

I’d say 70% of my listening is Classic Rock/Country, 20% Modern Rock/Alt., and 10% Rap. This being said would I be almost as good going with 2 10w6v2’s in sealed boxes? I plan on changing the 2 stock batteries to at least Optima’s, and I don’t usually sit for extended periods of time. This being said with JLs’ regulated power supply, will this setup be sufficient? I’ve installed on my previous boats, and built my own boxes before so besides figuring the power supply for that 1000/1 I should be golden for the install.

I really hope this is not to general for you guys, and I’m looking forward to your opinions! Matt