Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-22-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
Took trailer ( 03 )in for some warrenty work and then decided while it's there to get some additional work done. Got new fenders and diamond plate ( it looks new again ) but one fender is lower than the other so the wheels look uneven from side to side. They must have ran over my light wire because there is new one but now I can't back the boat up ( they wired it wrong ) so I have to spend my time taking it back to get the bugs worked out when they had the thing for 10 days. I was very frustrated with the level of detail in there workmanship, especially after spending over $700.00.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
It's not Extreme that sucks, it's your DEALER/SERVICE that sucks. Wouldn't make a single difference what brand it was, because your guy straight-up- blows.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-22-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
I'm assuming JT took his trailer into the Extreme factory (since he lives within shouting distance)... thus it would be Extreme that sucks.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
EXTREME SUCKS !

worst service ever!
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
That's interesting. I have an '03 Etreme trip axle under my 29' cat and it has been great. It sounds like they are much better at BUILDING trailers than they are at WORKING ON them.

I sure see them under a bunch of big, high dollar boats.
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I could never get my Extreme to backup correctly, the electronic lockout never worked (they blamed it on my truck, even though it locked out every other trailer I had towed). Further, I took it there for service, and they ignored me, treated me like crap. That place needs help.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-22-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
Put my vote in the 'SUCKS OUT LOUD' column. Mine must of been built the day after a holiday or something. Jus way too many problems.

(Message edited by sdub on June 22, 2006)
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Hey we need a class action suit against EXTREME TRAILERS. Im not asking for much, just a new trailer.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
My '01 Extreme was fine, but I've had way too many problems with the current '04 trailer. First off there was a cracked weld at a major joint. In a little over two years the dealer has replaced 3 oil bath bearing seals on 2 hubs, and replaced both hubs on one axle. I know that hubs and seals are not made by Extreme, but they're responsible.

And then there was the tire issue. My trailer had a wide-profile tire package. No problem until I picked up a nail in a tire and went to get it fixed. The tire store asked why I had passenger tires on a boat trailer. As we looked closer, the capacity rating of the tires did not meet the trailer rating. When I called Extreme, they claimed it didn't matter because the boat and trailer weighed less than the tire capacity. When I pointed out that after I filled the boat with gas and put a little gear (about 200#) in it, it was over by 300#. I also found out after a little research, that passenger tires can be used on a trailer, but their capacity has to be derated. I had to fight to get them to change out the tires to ones that were legal for the trailer they manufactured. I had to threaten them with filing a report to the Trailer Manufacture's Assn. that they were so proud of being a member of.

It finally got taken care of, but it was a fight and they stuck my dealer with the remounting and balancing costs. Do you want to do business with a company that is so ignorant and arrogant when it comes to your safety? And I haven't even mentioned yet those brand "X" tires that they still put on their trailers that have been talked about so much here.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
"I'm assuming JT took his trailer into the Extreme factory"

Factories do repairs? Never even heard of a factory doing anything, but manufacturing.

If they did use car tires on trailers, they do suck. That's a beginner move.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
G: I have no dog in this hunt, I'm just glad my Extreme is working so far. Sound like new ones definitely have issues.
However, why would you want to sue Extreme to get a new trailer made by a company you say "EXTREME SUCKS !

worst service ever!"

I wonder why there are so many lawsuits jamming the courts these days.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-23-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
Maybe the phrase they suck is a little harsh. I did take the trailer to the factory, they had it for 7 days...........cover in the trunk, but not one person put it on boat, nor did they ask me if I had cover for boat.......when I got boat back I spent all day Sunday detailing all the dust. The bottom line is I spent a lot of money for poor workmanship, hopefully I'm like most of you and work hard for my toys. But what the heck, I'm just a dump plumber what do I know.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2006, 11:17 PM Reply   
Which boat companies use their trailers? Is it the dealers choice from which company that is sold with the boat or is it the boat company themselves.
Old     (jam76)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Extreme Trailer do suck!!! My Paint started to peel away after the first year and my trailer has never backed up well the brakes lock up 95% of the time while backing and it is with every vehicle I tow it with....
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-26-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
They did use some piss poor valve stems that resulted in recurrent flats and blowouts until I found out on here or Tigeowners about the problem. Then after faxing the bills, I got reimbursed 3 months later. I suspect that they knew which trailers were affected, but chose not to warn me. The trailer itself seems solid and has backed perfectly for me.

Changing a tire in the middle of the day outside of Las Vegas in the middle of July was no fun.

Years ago they used a huge batch of Carlisle tires that were bad. I had those on my previous boat's trailer. They sent me replacements. It seems that they have a recurrent history of choosing low quality suppliers.
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-26-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
EXTREME SUCKS!
I AGREE I HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS TRYING TO GET MY FENDERS REDONE BEACUSE I LOST THE DIMOND PLAT ON THE FREEWAY DUE TO RUST AND PAINT BUBLING I FINALLY JUST GOT IT RIHNO LINED NOW THERE IS NO PROBLEMS..
Old    mgg            06-26-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
I have been trying to get them to replace the tounge on my trailer where the chrome is has peeled of off now it is a nice amount of rust showing. It has been almost a year and nothing.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-26-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
I have had some good and some bad with Extreme also. They built a trailer for our B52 that required fit changes after the fact. They picked it up, made the changes and returned it (NorCal to SoCal).
It was "Extreme"ly filthy, just horrible. When I scheduled the work he agreed to keep the cover on it but it never happened. He actually said they kept it inside, based on the amount grinding dust in the boat they might have.
The changes were as advertised and the workmanship was excellent.
Bad I had problems - Good they made it right - Sucks we had to clean and detail it after.
Old    smachfam            06-27-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
I have an Extreme with surge brakes. After every stop, when I pull away, the brake actuator in the tongue will pull forward to release the brakes, and the trailer will "catch," jerking the trailer and tow vehicle.

I understand a certain amount of this may be normal with surge brakes, but I was told if I just let the truck idle forward before accelerating, it should release the actuator slowly, avoiding the "catching" and "jerking." With mine, though, a slow idle does not release it, and it jerks on the tow bar every time I accelerate (no matter how slowly). Seems to me over the long run, this sort of additional force is bad for the tow vehicle and trailer. Plus, it's just annoying.

Is this normal or something I should have looked at?

Thanks.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-28-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
Scott,
I was having the same problem on my trailer. You need to put some grease or some sort of Lubrication in between the brake actuator and the tongue. I used Pedro's Chain Lube ( it is a Mountain bike chain lube that dries as a oil-less dry wax/lube) It works awesome. I just spray a little on each side of the toungue where it slides into the actuator about 1 x each month and it keeps everything super smooth and quiet..
Good luck
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Extreme is getting apretty bad reputation in the wake/ski boat sector. I am even wondering if they they manufacture these types of trailers on an entirely different line.
I know that the absolute best trailer I have ever had was a Myco. However, I don't think they make them small enough for a wake boat.

What brand have people had the BEST luck with?
I have a Prestige under my Tige`, and other than the surge brakes not functioning very well (may need adjusted), I have no issues yet.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-28-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Dorsey, hands down, and I thought about an extreme until the bad press i read on the net.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
I have a boatmate, and it works great. no squeaks or rattles anywhere.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-02-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
Scott- Also make sure that your brake fluid is at the proper level. If it is low, it will often jerk as you describe.
Old     (lowdrag)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-04-2006, 12:20 AM Reply   
Boatmate here also, good trailer, but the paint on mine sucks. Numerous places around the welds where the paint cracked and it is showing rust stains which are very visible on a white trailer. Several places underneath too where it has rust stains.

The good news is from what I'm told Boatmate is very good about standing behind their products and will fix about anything under warranty. The bad news is my trailer will most likely have to go back to the factory over the winter to be fixed.