Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
I just test drove our new (to us) 2005 Mobius LSV, and have some questions about the v-drive and the drivetrain in general, hopefully someone can give me some insight!

- When the boat is in idle, the oil pressure warning light turns on, saying not to drive over 1,200 rpm etc etc... as soon as I engage the transmission the light turns off and stays off through acceleration. I have heard that this is normal, is this true? I looked in the archives and couldn't find information on this topic, maybe I just don't know how to use the search function. It's a Zenith Hurth transmission.

- On acceleration, the boat seems to vibrate quite a bit until it gets on plane... once on plane it is not near as bad, and it isn't noticeable when you slow down or are idling around. I checked the prop and it looks to be in perfect shape, the blades aren't bent anywhere that I can tell. Is there a chance it is out of alignment, or the shaft is bent? How can I tell?

That's it really, for now anyway. Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

DB
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-05-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
1. Normal

2. Prop
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-05-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
have your prop re-worked. it is bent.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-05-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
and do it soon, vibration liek that is not good for anythign in yrou boat. the shaft transmitts that all the way down the drivetrain.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Light is normal.
Vibration could be prop,shaft, or something else in that area. I would ask if it always has done that? Or did he hit something some time? If he did maybe he only replaced the prop and shaft has a little bend in it that he never addressed...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
1: Actually, what it says is more like "If this light stays on over 1200 RPM, there may be a problem". The light should be on at low RPMs, then go off over 1200.

2: Prop is probably tweeked. Putting another one on will tell you if you need to look at the prop shaft at all. Probably just got a little tweeked in some soft mud or sand. Ask around about local prop shops. There are usually one or two in town & all the boat dealers ship their props to them.
Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Does your vdrive make a significantly louder whining sound while you're in reverse? I had the same question about the light but the owner's manual says that's how it is supposed to operate. Probably want to get that alignment/prop checked. You can check it at the coupler with a feeler guage, my manual says there should be no place that you can fit bigger than 3mm guage.

(Message edited by dirtysparks on May 05, 2009)
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
See, this is why I love this board!

Thanks guys, I will take it to my "prop guy" asap.

DB
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-05-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
also check the strut bearings see if they are worn out I there shouldn't be any play in the shaft. if it has been ran with the vibration for awhile you could have ruined one of the bearings.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
The light is for the v-drive oil pressure, the transmission is a seperate unit. There is no gauge or light for the transmission. It is a good idea to check the oil levels though. The transmission dip stick is a red screw on cap and the v-drive one is a smaller black cap that just pulls striaght up. Have fun.