Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Matt831)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-14-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
If you can let me know what board would be best for me. I am probably beginner level, can only w2w heel side, ride switch a little, and am working on 180's ts, hs, and sw. I currently have a 2008 CWB Tanscend 139, weigh about 180lbs, and stand 5'10". I am looking at either a 2010 Transcend or the Ronix One. What size is best? By all the charts my height/weight puts me somewhere in the 136 to 142 range. Is a longer board better? I've found Transcend deals on both a 138 and 141 board. Any knowledge/experience will help. Thanks in advance, Matt
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
I feel beginners will do better on boards that are continuous rocker. So boards like the Transcend and Ronix One are not the best. A board that is consistent in pop will help you all around. Some other benefits to a continuous board are they are faster and they land softer. I ride a continuous because they are all around good boards and they can pop probably just as high as a 3 stage if you get one with more rocker. I would shoot for a board around a 138- 142. One thing I didn't like about the transcend was how skinny the tail is. I don't know how people can ride that board behind boat. And the One is a board that you need a strong edge all the way through the wake to pop right. If you can go to a local dealer and try demoing a few boards.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-14-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
i agree with eric a continuous rocker is best for beginner. 140 -142 is best for your height and weight. demo some and see what fits your style best.
Old    mojo            10-14-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
i'd take a look at the ronix vault or district.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-14-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
If you had good luck with the Transcend and liked it, I wouldn't shy away from another one. The newer (09-10) shape is better and for a three stage board, it has a pretty mellow pop. Until recently, it was by far, my favorite board to ride behind the boat.

If you want another CWB, look at the Faction. It comes in at either 138 or 144, I know guys smaller than you that swear by the 144. I see that you are just up the road from me, if you ever make it down this way let me know, you can use my 138 Faction if you'd like.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
I agree with Stephan on the Faction. I love that board. I'd probably stay away from the 144, but that's just me. I don't like huge boards. The Transcend is great, too. A different feeling ride, but both are fun. The Faction will take a bit of getting used to when rolling it onto edge. Because of the taller rolled edges it makes you stop being lazy on your edges. You really have to be progressive and roll the board down in the water. I love how little resistance this board has. It just glides. Pop is also really smooth, but there's plenty of it. I really can't say anything bad about it.
Old     (Matt831)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-22-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been away for the computer for a bit so haven't had the chance to respond. I checked out the Faction, what is the deal with the huge spine? I do like the "district". What difference would I notice coming from the CWB transcend. Also, will any binding fit any board. I was looking at ronix bindings but might try to throw them on my CWB board.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-22-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
matt as long as everyone is giving suggestions. i used to ride a 142 transcend. i loved it . i wanted to try a smaller board so i got a 140 marius. the first thing i noticed was it was faster to the wake than the transcend even though it is shorter it is wider so i get more pop than on the transcend. i also feel it is more locked in than the transcend.it is definately my board of choice. that being said i've also ridden a witness i liked it . i rode a slingshot it was loose to me. i rode a roam it's real loose but it's a blast for surface tricks.i have a watson hybrid i just got it's real fast and has tons of pop. but i'm getting used to it's semi loose feeling.i tried many boards and the marius fits me the best. so what i suggest is you try multiple boards and decide which ones best for you. by the way i have ridden boards from a 134 up to a 143 and i'm 5'6" and weigh 165 lbs. i prefer a 139 or 140. that to is a matter of preference. as far as bindings i like semi flexible ones like the cwb answer closed toe are my favorite ones. good luck and try a variety of boards and boots so you can find what YOU LIKE BEST.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-23-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
i made the same switch ,but i really like the ronix one 2010 more. When i switched i was learning 360s though.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       10-23-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
the district would be a good board, or the liquid force witness if you want a board you can get a little more progression out of.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Most of CWB line of boards have significant center/belly spines on them. these spines are designed to break-up the water on impact creating a softer landing. the marius has a double spine and the newer transcend is supposed to have a bigger spine too than previous models.

Ronix and CWB have apposing philosophies when it comes to bottom features and what makes a soft landing. Ronix believes a smooth featureless bottom will create the softest landings by maintaining momentum on impact, and not slowed by drag of bottom features. Personally i can't imagine bottom features causing enough drag to create a harder landing... unless a person rides aggressively with tons of speed and lands in the flats, then maybe. But it is all up to the rider to decide.

other board brands create "spines" with concaves, aka double concaves, double inside single concaves, etc.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-25-2010, 4:51 AM Reply   
faction/db9, b-side,marek, or transcend.....
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-25-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
I have a 2011 Trasncend 142 that is brand new that I will sell you.. Would be a nice upgrade from the 09' 139. I have the 09' as well - was a great board.. I think at your weight you'd be better suited with a 142. Shoot me a message if you're interested.

Regardless - the new Trancend is a great board, I'd stick with it and stick with CDub.