Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    murrayair            09-27-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
So I'm gonna try a raley for the first time later this week. I have seen and read about the horror stories of crashing on a raley. I need tips on how not to die upon bailing.
Old    crooked            09-27-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
The only way to do a raley is ball to the wall, if you puss out itll hurt 10 times worse then if you just do it. take a hard edge and remember to keep your chest up and keep the tension on the rope, thatll throw your body bakc and snap it bakc in, if you land a raley, it meens you are finally a hardcore rider. pracitce w/ a wakeskate or throwing it out and letting go and just diving into the water to get the feel of throwing it out.
Old     (qtybry)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-28-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
can anyone give me advise on the raley when i start to go up usualy the handle gets off my hands and im holdin it tight already!
Old    gman100            09-28-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Pre requisite: Make sure you can do a huge wake jump.

1. Do your normal huge wake jump.
2. Make sure you ride all the way through the wake so you get the big pop you need.
3. Relax your shoulders, once in the air. (DO NOT THROW YOUR LEGS OUT!) Relaxing your shoulders lets the boat stretch you out into the superman position.
4. When you feel the yank from the boat simply pul the handle back to your hips and pull the board back under you.

If you throw your legs out instead of simply relaxing your shoulders two things may happen:
1. You will create to much force and probably loose the handle.
2. You will be concentrating too much on throwing your legs out and not ride all the way through the wake thus not getting the height you need, resulting in being only a foot or two above the water and becoming a human torpedo.

Like Wade said above, you have to fully commit to this trick, there's no half a$$ing this trick.

Check out the two links below. They are videos of when I was learning the Raley.
It will give you an idea of what you have in store. You can see when I half a$$sed it.
The crashes are at the end of the video.
Needless to say I think I was lucky that didn't hurt/break anything, I was just very sore the next day.

http://www.wakepics.com/img/12107

http://www.wakepics.com/img/12108
Old     (bengal)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-28-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
One piece of advice that helped me get this trick down: Take an aggresive cut, stay on your edge the entire time, as soon as you start coming up the wake, edge even harder. Try and keep the pressure on your board evenly distributed, or you will end up with a railey tweaking up to the left or right.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-28-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
holy crap Greg. Those were some hard crashes! Looks like you were learning OA spins at the same time.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-28-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
I've only landed one so take this for what it's worth. The best advice i got was "hard PROGRESSIVE edge". I thought you just had to go balls to the walls throughout the whole thing. The one i landed seemed alot more relaxed.(not extremely relaxed) but almost like a big jump into the flats where i cut just a little harder or longer through the wake.
Here's a short video of an attempt. http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11205
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
Don't eat its gonna suck.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-28-2004, 9:51 PM Reply   
The biggest thing is people lay a hard edge in and never let out or stand up you really need to stand tall at the wake whille holding the edge through also NEVER look down keep your eyes on the horizon when bringing it down act as if you are going to break the handle on your knee. If you are stargazing or going almost into a back roll you are too front heavy when you leave the wake you want weight on 50/50. The trick is really not that dificult
Old    tammygirl            09-29-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
I know people that try this trick on a skate first. The skate stays at the wake and your body goes through the motion of the trick so you can get the feel for it before you try with board strapped to your feet. You just land in the water.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-29-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
all or nothing
look at the tower.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-29-2004, 9:38 PM Reply   
wear a helmet, look down the rope, never take your eyes off the tower, when you pull the trick down, pretend that you are trying to break a board over your knee, it will be easy
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-30-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
goggles may lessen the blow to your eyelids
Old     (shiznizzle)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-01-2004, 2:03 AM Reply   
If you are going to learn on a wakeskate make sure you close your legs together on the way down!!!
Old    david_jackson            10-01-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
video tape your first try then post it