Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       09-21-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
To the guy with the 05 Centurion and Blue 4x4 that bumped into my boat at the Hobie ramp today, you should have come clean about it when I asked if you scratched my baby. I saw your partner hit my boat (more than once) with the centurion's swimstep as he tried to load it onto the trailer. I stood at the top of the ramp and watched the whole comedic episode.

There was no damage to my boat, so no harm, no foul. However, you didn't need to try "fool" me by saying he didn't hit my boat.

Next time have some integrity.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-21-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
I'd say once you realized your boat was in harms way to should have done something about it!! You got lucky that time, next time get a clue and be more proactive.. Just my 2 cents.. Wally on..
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       09-22-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
cdm,the top of the hobie ramp is a couple hundred yards to the water line[at least it seams like that sometimes] by the time you get down to the dock the damage is done.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       09-22-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
The point isn't that I didn't run down the ramp freaking out all over the guy. Stuff happens, people screw up, things are fixable. What irks me is that the guy didn't even have the class to admit his mistake, and he tried to lie to me to cover it up.

I had plenty of time to inspect my boat before they left the water. In fact, I was in my boat as he made his second run at his trailer and was ready to push him away should he have trouble again.

If there had been damage I would have asked for his insurance and written down his license plate number as well as promptly reporting it to the sheriff.

People who lie, suck.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-22-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
John, sorry about your boat, and I agree with your assessment of his character.
Sounds like that dude could have a great career as a politician.
Old    ag4ever            09-23-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you should not have docked your boat on an active launching ramp. I guess if you had your trailer in the water, and were in the process of actually loading or launching that would be one thing, but if you tied it off to get your trailer, then you were partly at fault for making it unduly hard for them to load around your boat.
I don't know the lake or ramp, so there may be other things I don't understand, but from the way you described it that is my opinion.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-23-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
Anyone who is doubting John or even saying is part his fault...must start changing your perspective! It's pretty clear here that John just wants ppl to be honest, simple as that.

It's no different if he were to witness someone hitting his car while parked in a spot at the local deli ppl, please use some common sense here! The dock is for parking. It's the responsibility of the person driving the boat to NOT hit other boats. What do you think the dock is there for...good looks?
Old    ag4ever            09-24-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
I am not doubting anybody, just saying that as I read it he was:

1. Parked at a dock that is next to the ramp causing it hard to actually use the ramp.

2. Watching somebody hit his boat that is parked at a launching ramp, and not approaching them while it is being done.

Some docks are not for parking boats, but just for loading and unloading the boat. Others are to be used in assisting the person load and unload the boat off the trailer. And other docks are meant for parking a boat.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
Have to agree with KG.... Regardless of what John did, the guy seemed to have lied about hitting his boat. Everything else is up for discussion, but the guy was wrong for lying after being confronted about the accident.

Robert, you are assuming a lot. If someone hit my boat in a slip or at a loading dock, it would not be my fault. Dock is for docking a boat....correct....even if they are time limited? That is what they are they for. Some people dock their boat, go get their trailer, get back in their boat and load. Some just sit and wait for whoever parked the truck...whatever the are used for, that is why they are floating in the water.... If they didn't want you tying up to them, they wouldn't be floating in the water.... By your theory, everyone should break off the dock, go out and float in the water every time someone comes in to load/unload?

Second....what exactly should John rush down the launch ramp to see/help/whatever... I don't watch over my house, cars, truck, boats...bla...bla...bla...every time someone approaches them. Someone just pulled in to the parking stall by my truck...surprisingly enough, I am still at my computer writing this.... If I think there may have been a problem, I may ask...but rushing around like I am going to do something, just not me. If someone chooses to lie about what they did...well, that is on them.

Sorry for the novel...and I didn't really mean to call you out Robert, I just question some of your remarks. And Hell....you're even a Nautique owner....

E.J.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
cdm....your comments are even worse.... "get a clue" "be more pro-active"....those comments are laughable. Why does John have a responsibility to do anything? Be pro-active with what? Run down what is apparently 200+ yards of ramp to prevent someone with what seems to be questionable boat driving skills, from running into his boat. Next time someone damages any of your property, I hope you are willing to pat them on the back and say, "No worries mate, I should have been a little more pro-active. Next time, I will get a clue."

E.J.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-24-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
EJ ~ nice
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       09-24-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
E.J. you just recieved one gold star.
Old    wakelvr            09-24-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
John,

I have 0 tolerance for people who lie. I would be angry too. However, it sounds like you already confronted this guy. Why did you let him get away with thinking that you bought his story? Chances are he won't ever read this thread. Just curious...

Old    ag4ever            09-24-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
E.J., I agree 100% that the guy should have come clean about hitting theguy's boat. That was 100% wrong. If you screw up, admit the problem, and get on with your life.

My biggest gripe is with people that see a dock and figure that automatically means it is their dock for their exclusive use. I don't know the facts, and as you say I AM assuming a lot of details that are not provided. One thing I am assuming is that the guy had his trailer in the water when John decided to tie his boat up to the dock in close proximity. I am assumiing the close proximity from this statement: "I saw your partner hit my boat (more than once) with the centurion's swimstep as he tried to load it onto the trailer." While loading is the key phrase. This means to me that he was phisically loading the boat.

Launching ramps bring out the worst in most all people, and the last thing I do is put my boat near one unsupervised. I won't dock my boat near a ramp without a person in it or near it, and if something is happening like somebody hitting it, yes I will go straight there. if the person pulling in the stall next to your truck had hit it, would you have just sat there because you were not worried about your property? I will dock my boat in a slip or at a non-fueling or launching dock, and leave it unattended. Actually I have done that on many occasions, but never at a place where there is the potential for somebody to bump it while loading their boat on a trailer.

I just don't understand the relationship between the loading ramp and the dock to know why the boats were even close enough to bump each other.

Regardless of why it happened, I do agree that he should have admitted doing it.

BTW, for those that have no compasion for not knowing how to load a boat in tight quarters, just remember that you once did not know how to do it, and everybody has to learn one way or another.

People should have respect for others needs, and they should have the integrity to admit what is their fault.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
this is lame debate.

Quick! Someone create an intereting thread so we're not so desperate that we have to post on this one.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-24-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
cant.........all the 05 stuff is out.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-24-2004, 7:19 PM Reply   
J-Rod, I kind of skipped through the thread, but after i read your comment i had to read the whole thing just to see how lame it was. Now how lame is THAT!
Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-24-2004, 7:22 PM Reply   
This is lame, I'm gonna go check out the Reef Girls thread...