Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    goose69            08-07-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
As far as wakeboarding is concerned....
I am just curious to what people think about when people say "West Coast"?
Do people just think of Cali??
It doesn't really bother me, but being from Oregon I tend to think of "West Coast" as being all three states.... Washington, Oregon and Cali. I know of alot great riders that come from both Oregon and Washington but it seems like they get tagged with being Northwest riders, just curious as to why.
Do other people from Washington and Oregon get miffed when Cali is only mentioned or thought of as being the "West Coast"?
What do you think fella's?
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
Well CAli itself stands out worldwide... everywhere you go people know cali... ITs dominate therefore gets its own name...
Old    du540            08-07-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
I actually PREFER to be thought of as seperate from Cali.

I like when it's refered to as "NorthWest Style", which, to me, means more of a snowboard style of riding. Not that there's a HUGE difference, just lil things.

That's just MY feel.
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
W$R MAN FOR REAL.

i think its pretty retarded. WESTSIDE!!!

Old    buttacup            08-07-2003, 12:05 PM Reply   
For me west coast means all three states that the Pacific Ocean falls along. I don't refer to west coast as just one state, California. I agree with you, Jared, West coast is all three states, WA, OR and CA. I consider Northwest to be Oregon, WA, ID and BC, canada.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
I am eastwestside because I ride at 85' and 25 mph now. word to your motha
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
As a long-time rider who fairly recently made the move to Norcal from back east, I've always thought of "Westcoast" as referring to all three states. Last year in AZ, I found the appreciation for it there too. I've always thought of it as an emphasis on going big and incorporating snow-style spinning and skate-style grabs, with a high appreciation for uniqueness, well-roundedness and maximum tweakage to define one's personal style. For me, riders like Nelson were the early visionaries, and riders like Wright and Harris now carry the torch (note the vastly different styles between those two).
In recent years, the Florida mainstream and pro tour decision-makers also seem to have adopted a much stronger appreciation for this, but I don't perceive that it has always been that way, except for a select few like Byerly, Horrel, Kent, Cline, and a few others.
OK... there's always somebody out there who's ready to disagree, so flame away!
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
cant anyone have WESTCOAST style i dont see how its considered westcoast style. I have seen alot of riders in florida that are just the same. there are riders that ride like that everywhere.
Old    du540            08-07-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
Lyman has biiiiiig west coast style.

Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-07-2003, 5:00 PM Reply   
From oakland to Sac-town, the bay area and back down Cali is where they put they mack down!

just keepin it gangsta...
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2003, 5:37 PM Reply   
Mike, yes, I think anyone can now have it because the mainstream has now caught on and "the style" which is the topic of this discussion has now become mainstream. But the point is where it ORIGINATED and where the riders were based out of who were the early proponents of these aspects of riding (more spinning and grabbing, with less emphasis on highly technical flipping). With the exception of a few Orlando-based riders that I've already mentioned (Byerly, etc, see previous post), the early Orlando and Westpalm riders were (in general) much more interested in learning new variations on raleys and mobes. I am NOT DISSING FLA, because riders like Shane and Danny have worked very hard to change this. I'm just pointing out that in the early days the FLA style was more based on technical acrobatic-type moves. Before Mayday came out, the mainstream (FLA) was not too interested in spinning and doing unique grabs, it was a movement that was based primarily in the West.

Oh man, now I'm in big trouble... my wife said if she caught me getting into any more arguments over the internet that she was going to unplug my DSL. Now I'm in trouble for sure...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
It doesn't matter. Ride how you want and don't stress about where someone is from.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2003, 6:11 PM Reply   
Good advice.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-07-2003, 6:20 PM Reply   
Back to the main topic, i think california equals westcoast and oregon and washington equal northwest. Im from northern cal and i think people from washington would agree.
Old    oldschool            08-08-2003, 6:12 AM Reply   
California is over-rated. I'm just waiting for the big earthquake. But hopefully everyone has evactuated by then.
Old    lindsayl            08-08-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
Grew up in the NW, lived back east for 3 years, now I live in So-Cal. Based on my experience, the attitude and lifestyle of the western states are (relatively speaking) pretty similar to each other and very different from the eastern states. Now, when you compare only the western states, I think WA/OR/BC/ID are much different from CA. Heck, Nor-Cal is much different from So-Cal. I guess it all depends on your point of reference.

West Coast Style is known as such simply because that's where it originated thanks to ample surf/skate/snow influences, but it is no longer limited by geography. Much like the "West Coast Offense" in football.
Old    brettly            08-09-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
If you say east coast, people think the whole coast. So I don't see any difference with saying west coast. Overall, we are who we are so ride how ya want and call it what ever style you want to associate with. If any thing I think there's more of a So-Cal style, that alot of people may associate with West coast. I mean if you say West Side, that pretty much sounds like the west side of the US. Just some thoughts.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-09-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
when I hear West Side I think LA. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say East Side except for Snoop when he was talking about Long Beach. When I think of people being from the East Coast I think of New York. Kinda strange I guess, it must be the hip-hop thing. Those seem to be the two epicenters of all hip-hop. Of course now we have the Dirty South but that's another story.

So I guess my point is this: there is a degree of separation when you say "coast" or "side". West Side to me sounds like So Cal, West Coast is the whole coast.

What your labeled as I think refers more to the lifestyle you lead and the attitude you have, rather then the style of your riding; although, I do think that there are definitive styles related to regions in this country (i.e. Northwest, West Side, Florida, Dirty South, Mid West, East Coast).