Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-26-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
Wanting to add some wrapped tricks to the list. What would be some good wrapped tricks to start out learning? Would BS or FS wrapped tricks be easier? Any advice on technique? The ones I have considered trying are BS 360, Tootsie Roll, TS BS 180, HS FS 360, HS Blender.

Any wrap artist out there that can lead me in the right direction?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2011, 9:47 PM Reply   
I started wrapped tricks last year.

First was heel front 5

Second was heel back 3.

I start every run with a wrapped melon back 3.

The only tips I have is slow the boat down and do them one wake first and then don't spin too early. Then because you don't have to handle pass............. grab that board with some steeze!

All the best to ya
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
TS BS OA 3! steeziest wrapped trick you can do. Don't do wrapped tech tricks though like the tootsie. Then it's just cheating.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-27-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
I do wrapped Toe back 3s and wrapped Heel back 3s... give a nice little tug on the T-bar as you head up the wake for the toe back 3 and make sure you pop before letting go of the T on the heel back 3.

Both are pretty easy and fun to do. I had never spun toeside backside in my life and stuck that trick first try and then like 10 times in a row before ever falling on it... I spin my handlepass BS3s really late and couldn't ever seem to get that late melan grab, so I started wrapping it to help put a grab on it. Confession: I definitely started doing these tricks as a cheat because I was being a nancy about them, but they are fun for sure and I keep doing them because they are easy LOL.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-27-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
I LOVE wrapped tricks. Like on of my favorite things to do. I have to disagree with Luke I LOVE doing wrapped Tootsies you can grab for ever. Hell ever Vandall still does them. I do thin that like wrapped KGB is cheating however....I know total oxymoron. Personally I think the easiest wrapped spin is a TS BS 180. The approach is really simple du to the way the rope wraps around you. HS frontside is probably the second easiest. The reason I say this is I see alot of peopel learning HS FS wrapped spins, when learning its really easy to rush the spin by letting go of the T-bar to early. Letting go early makes you get off axis the wrong way (headfirst) and you can take a nasty toe edge catch. \

As for tips on wrapped spins. I like to stay in a low crouched position upon approach. with the T-Bar in as close to your hip as you can get it. Its curcial that you let go of the handle in the air and not on the wake. I still pull the t-bar to help my body initiate the spin this helps with line tension and body position. Once you leave the wake and start the spin grab that THING!

Hope some of this helps!
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-27-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I can't wait to start trying some of these. Keep the tips coming.

Andy, what would you say is the easiest Tootsie grab?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-27-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
On a TS BS 180 or 180 probably a Nose Grab or a Melon. Melon is pretty cool because you can really poke it out! I like to Grab Mute too!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-27-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
Agreed Andy...Luke...have you watched NBT? Harris does a pretty mean wrapped melon tootsie off the dub(I think)...it may also be in retrospect.

Regardless I think the concept that "wrapping up" is cheating is hilarious. The next move I really want to "handle" (pun intended) this summer is a HS FS OA 3 with a stale fish grab...should look like a switch TS BS 1 for the finish. I would also like to see someone take it to a double corked 7 off the dub (second handle pass obviously).
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-27-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
HS BS3 is not hard to get. Some tips when trying are: 1. Try to keep all the rope tension on the t-handle and 2. practice some inside out and one-wake jumps where you stay in the wrapped position. This gets you used to controlling the line tension with one hand and keeps you from unwrapping too soon.