Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
I've got a 2005 Wakesetter with the Illusion X tower. It has 4 board racks and 4 Pro80 speakers on it.

Whenever I'm going through super rough water or hitting double up rollers, the tower clangs something awful - it seems to be noise made not only from up/down movement, but also from side/side movement.

I've tightened the bolts on the tower, and even tightened the nuts under the tower where it connects to the hull. I've also hinged the tower down and put some pieces of foam in there for some extra padding, and although it seemed to work for a while, the problem is back. I can actually see a little damage to the right side of the tower (closest to the bow) where it hinges.

I'd like to correct this problem somehow - anyone have a similar problem or any tips on how to resolve this? thanks.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
When I say up/down movement and side/side movement, this movement occurs at the point where the tower hinges and the two pieces (top and bottom) meet.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-11-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Wow. I have never heard anybody have issues with the illusion x. Its probably the most solid tower on the market as far as stability goes. If you have that much movement than you simply have too much weight. Four pro 80 and four racks is sick but might be too much for the tower to handle. My supra tower would probably fall off with that much weight :-) By the way my buddy has skylon 350's and twin racks and it doesnt move an inch on his 23lsv. contact malibu for some suggestions.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
It is not to much weight. My '07 had 4 Pro 60's and 4 racks. Fully loaded it was solid as a rock. My new '08 is very loose. My dealer is replacing the bushings this week. He said that sometimes the incorrect bushings get installed.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-11-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
...I was having the same problem but to my suprize it was not the tower that was making the noise, it was the bimini smaking the tower when not folded out, are you sure its the tower????? I have alot of weight on mine as well. here is a pic.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-11-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
Same here weight should be no issue... the bimini thing sounds possible if you have one...
Upload
Upload
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-11-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
my friend has a 06 lsv. tower has 4 racks, usually all slots loaded with boards, 4 pods and a box with 6 5 1/4 or something like that and has no prob whatsoever. itll even take me sitting on top of it. i highly doubt that its a weight issue. those towers are pretty much indestructable and i can gaurantee that a wakeboarder pulling on the rope is way more pressure on the tower than some speakers and racks
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Maybe you are hearing power or speaker cable inside the tower that bangs around when it gets a shake. It would have to be something with some mass inside though and not just a light wire. Just guessing.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments everybody.

Just to clarify - the noise is coming from the tower. As I mentioned, I have actual damage to my tower. Specifically, where the top piece of the tower meets the bottom piece (where the hinge is), at the front of the tower. If you look at the pic of the boat 3 posts up - imagine you are sitting in the driver's seat, you could turn to your right and reach behind you and grab the front bottom of the tower where the hinge is and that is where I'm talking about.

The paint is getting marred and probably about to start peeling off in that location because of the metal-on-metal contact when going over big rollers or driving through medium-heavy chop. I'll try and get a pic up...

Larry - can you elaborate on the bushings issue you mentioned? Could this be my problem?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
Okay, here's the problem area, except it's on the driver's side of the boat.
Upload

Also, I get noise out of both sides, and in addition to the "up/down" movement that I get from the tower that is obviously causing this damage, I also get noise from the tower moving laterally, and I'm guessing the inside of the tower is basically hitting against itself.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
David,

There are bushings at the point where the tower pivots. I have heard this to be a problem on some towers. Has your always been this way? Or, has it gotten worse over time? Like I said. I have an '08 mine have a problem and aare being replace now. If the bushings don't fix mine they will replace the bottoms of each side. Mine is worse on the drivers side also.

(Message edited by larrys on February 11, 2008)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
Larry - the problem has gotten worse over time. The tower used to make zero noise - then I heard a little noise and used the foam pieces in the inside of the tower and the problem subsided. Recently, it has gotten to the point it's at now, which is in my opinion, something that needs to be addressed before more damage is caused.
Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       02-12-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
I have the same problem on my Enzo ( same Tower) when you go over the chop... just a loud BANG.. Sounds awful everyone in the boat is like WTF.. looking into it myself
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-12-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Hey Larry -

I just talked to the service dept at my dealer and they said that "There is no part to fix that problem with the tower. All we do is put some rubber sheets in there and cut them to size and it usually solves the problem."

He didn't even know what a bushing was.

(Message edited by tparider on February 12, 2008)
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-12-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
being in the field of work that I am I would say that your tower is showing the classic signs of use LOL. more than likely if there are bushings they are shot if there are no bushings which would be my guess on the older towers then I would say the holes are getting worn out and causing more and more movement. The rubber would be a temperary solution but not a fix. I would take your tower off and see if there are bushings in there. If there are no bushings you might be able to find a place that can slightly bore out the holes and make some bushings to install in there taking up the slack eliminating the movement and noise.

Good luck. unfortunatly everything wears out no matter how well its built.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-12-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
..Sorry fogot to post the picUpload
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-12-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Side shotUpload
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
You need bushings and it will be good to go.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-12-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
David,

You might try contacting Metcraft directly.

(Message edited by larrys on February 12, 2008)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-12-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Good call, Larry.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-12-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
Anyone have Metcraft's contact info? I couldn't find a company profile or website on Google.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Metcraft Enterprises: 818-362-6430
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-12-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
thanks, nu bu.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
You're welcome David..
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
fold the tower down and put some rubber pieces between the 2 parts of the tower.a medium soft kind of rubber works best,put as much as you can between the tower and let someone put it back up while a other person put the pins back in.
cost....1 buck?.it,s worth a try.Worked for me.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-13-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
alright, I got in touch with Metcraft and a couple of you guys nailed it. There is a "bushing kit" for the Illusion X tower and my dealer will have to order it. The customer service person I spoke with said that it should make the tower "like new" again.

I have to say with everything I've read about it being hard to get in touch with someone at Metcraft to help with issues, I received a return call this morning after the message I left yesterday afternoon. Not bad at all!