Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sell)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,
I have an old Ski Naut that we have just dialled in to wakesurf on. My problem is that down here in Australia we have a very limited range of wakesurf boards available. I am a big guy, ranging 200-220 depending on the day. I can successfully ride without the handle on a 2003 HL Landlock, but want peoples thoughts on whether I have any chance of staying on the wake on the LF Brigade 4'6". My only other real option is the HL broadcast in 5'6". I like the theory of the shorter board for progression etc,
Thanks for you input,
Ken

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-05-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
I'm about the same size and have a Broadcast 5.6, as well as several other boards. The Broadcast has been good for beginners to learn on. This year we began moving fins around to make it more interesting.

Also this year I’ve had a lot of opportunities to ride other boards. I must have made some progress, I’ve ridden the shorter broadcast, some tinny Trick Boardz, and an undersized Walker Project board. I slow the boat down when I’m riding smaller boards.

I’ve ridden the Trick Boardz Free Style and Velocity in shin deep water and stayed with the wake. Riding undersized Trick Boardz is one of the most interesting rides I’ve had this season. Another was the Walker Project F-18 board, which is only slightly undersized for me. The walker board is very responsive rail to rail.

I’ve had some really good experiences with Inland Surfer boards, especially the Yellow and the Blue. If you think that you want to go with smaller boards you should see if you can get hooked up with a Yellow.

In the picture it looks like your heel surfing on the starboard-goofy wake. That’s somewhat more difficult to do on a small board. You also surf toe edge, right?
Old     (sell)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Backside on the starboard wake, as you know the RH prop on the older Nauts generate the thrust to the starboard side.
My little 18' boat cannot make a wake to surf on the port side, backside's better than nothing though.
I am unsure if the Inland Surfers are available over here.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-05-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTORS

IS Internatinoal Dist.
Austrailia
Coldfever
Wakeboard Gear
61 2 9698 4688
www.coldfever.com.au
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       11-05-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Ken....

I am about the same size as you and I had trouble with the LF brigade this summer. I could not ride it ropeless for any length of time. The next week I got my hands on a Inland Surfer Blue Lake and the difference was night and day! Same wake, same weight in boat. The inland boards are so floaty and still very quick. (at least in my limited experience) I also tried the Yellow IS board and really liked it as well. Overall I think either would be a better choice for your size over the LF board but that is just my opinion of course. One of my buddies is about 160 and he could ride the LF board ropeless without any trouble.
Now bare in mind I have my wake pretty big and dialed in after much experimenting this summer. The bigger you are the bigger you are going to need the wake in conjunction with the right board. I am a newbie so I also know that as I get better I will probably be able to ride smaller boards a little better. For right now thought the IS Blue is the best I have tried. Hope this helps.
Old     (sell)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I have checked out Coldfever - they actually DON'T distribute the IS range. It is looking more and more like I'll be on the Broadcast.
Ken