Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Need to buy a fire extinguisher for our X1. Is a dry chemical ABC-rated extinguisher the standard way to go? (I forget which kind was in our previous boat).

Also, do any of you in addition to the portable extinguisher also have a fixed system in the engine compartment? I think gaseous extinguishers will be a lot more effective in there, provided a closed engine hatch? Do I have it right that there are simple versions that just need to be mounted in the engine room without any wiring? Any recommendations or pics would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

(Message edited by fbroen on January 08, 2008)
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-08-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
If you can spend the coin then I would recommend using either Halon (no longer produced, difficult to get and expensive) or a Halotron type extinguisher. They are both more expensive options until you have to use them.

The problem with a dry chemical extinguisher is the corrosive agent left behind after use. I would not want to clean it up after shooting it into the engine compartment. Damage done will far outweigh the cost savings. It is up to you. It is tough to spend much on an extinguisher you hope to never use.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-08-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
You need to get a USCGA, if you didnt know. Most common is a BC, but you can find an ABC in USCGA. Kiddie makes them.

I got one that floats (J/K) cause if my boat goes up, i'm going in the water, last of course. The lake will put it out when it reaches the water line. And corrosive agents will be the last thing I worry about, my insurance will cover that too.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-08-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
USCGA approved for sure. Halon would be good but like topsidemarine said hard to get since they changed a lot of rules in 2000. Your best off with a BC CO2 type extinguisher. That will take care of fuel,oil and electrical type fires. If your worried about burning magnesium just make sure your insurance is current because its totaled at that point unless you have a VW motor in your boat. There should be enough water around to put out the wood that is on fire. You may have to sacrifice a beer or two though!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-09-2008, 12:06 AM Reply   
Halon is the very best at firefighting and is also the absolute worst item in the world for the ozone layer. Check out a race car shop, not a performance shop, to find out about automatic or total discharge systems. There are several newer systems, like Cold Fire, that work well on engine fires.
I have a stainless steel marine 5lb. in my boat with a 10BC 5A rating. I have no concerns about the abrasive or corrosive content because any fire will create much more damage than the extinguisher. A CO2 extinquisher is effective but the cold gas coming out can shock hot parts. It's also less effective on a windy day. Mine has two straps that hold it in place. An aviation one with an aluminum case and very good straps is also a good choice.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-09-2008, 12:11 AM Reply   
Hey Art what the hell are you still doing up? When I am your age I hope to still be able to remember my name!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-09-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
I'd respond with a snappy comeback but I'm trying to think if that was addressed to me.
See, I had my good 8 Hours of sleep, didn't I Mom.
Old     (latefordinner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
USCGA requires one class B-1 for boats less than 26 feet which can be halon, dry chemical, or CO2. Of these three, only dry chemical leaves a residual to continue to suppress fire, providing protection against a secondary start-up. although the powder is not good for electronics and engine components, it sure beats watching your boat go up in flames with an empty FE in your hand if the fire restarts.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-09-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
I got insurance for a reason! If my boat goes up in flames I hope it burns to the water and then I get a new boat. I have an extinguisher but if a serious fire broke out I'd prolly just jump out and swim!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-09-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
Halon works by displacing oxygen with non-combustible vapor. Since there is an unlimited amount of burnable air surrounding a boat I do not trust Halon extinguishers (a little wind and there goes your protection).

I prefer regular ABC powder extinguishers.

The automatic under cover Halon systems are too expensive, risky, and complicated in my opinion.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-09-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
Mikeski, I've had to use a Halon built in system in a race car. It is amazing. But it truly is the worst thing for the ozone layer. So I've kept the halon extinguishers that I already have but all new ones I get are safer for everything but my fires.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thanks all for tips. Armed with better understanding, will go to the local stores and check out the options.